Glow plug replacement questions

frostback

junior sprinter
I'm nearing 130,000 miles and my glow plug lights been coming on. I read that this is about the lifespan of glowplugs on Sprinters so I figure its time to replace them. I know there are special pliers but I'd like to know what other tools, sockets etc I will need to swap these out. :thinking:

Derek

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Proceed with caution. The pliers are simply used to make removal and reattchment of the electrical connector-relatively pain free. You can make up your own deep socket/universal joint/short extension combination to access the glow plugs themselves. You need to be forewarned that extraordinary dexterity and patience are called for - you need to be extremely careful when attempting to loosen the old glow plugs-they're quite slim and could shear, if seized in place. If that happens-well you know the rest. I would recommend you perform this procedure when cyl. head is quite warm and don't rush your work. Also be sure your problems are not caused by a faulty glow plug module. Andy

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Just a passing thought on the Glow plugs, as some owners may take quite some time to get to the use- by- date of the glow plugs, the longer they are in the more likelihood of one or two may freeze into the threaded bore.
it may pay to change them every two years or at the 50 thousand mark.
If one breaks! then the only way to fix them, is remove the head and drill them out with specialized tools, and thats an expensive exercise.
My suggestion would be to use Anti-Seize Lub, prior to installing the plugs, as a preventative cure to a big headache.
Richard.

frostback

junior sprinter
Well I did the glow plug replacement this weekend and it went pretty smoothly. It is very tight especially the rear plug which took as long as the first 4 just because it's a long reach you can't see anything and it is really tight. I had to hunt down a 1/4 drive 10mm deep socket as I couldn't quite get my 3/8 drive on the rearmost plug. The pliers would have been nice but not required. I had to remove one fuel line to access the front plug. The old ones came out pretty good but I played it safe and never seized the new ones.

I had hoped the glow plug light would go out after this but it has not. Does it need to be reset or is it likely the relay that triggered the light? I wasn't sure it was the glow plugs but I figured 130000 miles is a good run for a glow plug. Repair through the process of elimination. :crazy: It took me 3 hours which is the same amount of time it takes to get to my nearest Sprinter dealer.

Derek

tegimr

2003 Pass 140 289000 mile
. . .
it may pay to change them every two years or at the 50 thousand mark.
If one breaks! then the only way to fix them, is remove the head and drill them out with specialized tools, and thats an expensive exercise.
. . .

Richard.
Well, for someone who purchased one and *TRUSTED* that the dealership would service correctly - trusted for too long :bash: , but is now back with the ratchet and sockets in hand :thumbup: :thumbup: - this is a odd place to find onself. With 115 K on the '03 one is risking an expensive repair to avert an expensive repair.

What to do, what to do . . . :thinking: :idunno:

Tim

acvr4

I seem to have just started to have a problem with my #4 Glow plug & module -- that's the codes that pop up- have to love these Scan guages :thumbup: . It doesn't happen all the time just every once in while. I'm getting a set of new ones to change them but could there be a loose connection ? I'll be checking it either tonight or tomorrow but just checking for some heads up before hand.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I seem to have just started to have a problem with my #4 Glow plug & module -- that's the codes that pop up- have to love these Scan guages :thumbup: . It doesn't happen all the time just every once in while. I'm getting a set of new ones to change them but could there be a loose connection ? I'll be checking it either tonight or tomorrow but just checking for some heads up before hand.
The DTCs set by the glow plug module(also referred to as glow plug relay) are unreliable. An indication for a particular cylinders glow plug failure may involve a completely different cylinders glow plug OR non at all-it typically indicates a defective module. DC has FINALLY acknowledged this DTC problem in the latest release notes for the DRBIII sprinter memory card update. The module(relay) part# was 5103568AA and has superseded to 5170859AA-about $110.00 from Dodge. BTW, a defective glow plug can damage a new replacement module-so don't replace a specific single glow plug based on DTC info-then find the problem is still present -then replace the module only to have the undiagnosed defective glow plug destroy your new module. Doktor A

tegimr

2003 Pass 140 289000 mile
. . . BTW, a defective glow plug can damage a new replacement module-so don't replace a specific single glow plug based on DTC info-then find the problem is still present -then replace the module only to have the undiagnosed defective glow plug destroy your new module. Doktor A
That seems odd (not to challenge Andy, but rather the engineering team) to make something that would fail on a defective glow plug. Does it extend to a failure of a glow-plug after it's installed?

Tim

acvr4

Ok I have a question any one have a new glow plug kicking around that they can post a picture of ?
I purchased a set from ebay and well I just got them today and they sure don't look new :rant: They look like take-outs that have been cleaned up. I take a new one would what looks to be a copper thread lock line - looks to be brushed up on the threads.

I might be wrong but they just don't look NEW :censored: I'll post up some pitures later.

Andy

acvr4

Picture of what I got -- I guess I was expecting boxed ones but they were wrapped in bubble wrap just don't look brand new maybe it's just me :idunno:

Attachments

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Ok I have a question any one have a new glow plug kicking around that they can post a picture of ?
I purchased a set from ebay and well I just got them today and they sure don't look new :rant: They look like take-outs that have been cleaned up. I take a new one would what looks to be a copper thread lock line - looks to be brushed up on the threads.

I might be wrong but they just don't look NEW :censored: I'll post up some pitures later.

Andy
I usually buy glow plugs direct from Bosch but I have several MBenz factory sealed boxes at hand, so I opened one - the MBenz supplied plugs have no pre-applied anti-seize paste(the Bosch boxed also do not). New glow plugs do have heat discoloration just above the tips-either from factory testing or possible heat treatment. I have noticed that some people on EBay have a generous interpretation of "new". Doktor A

acvr4

Hi Doktor A, thanks for that info.
The person got back to me and sent this:
"These plugs were taken off a non installed mopar reman motor. The motor was never ran other than the test run at the rebuilder. If you are unsatisfied I will refund you 100% and request a call tag to have the plugs picked up by UPS."
What get me is the were listed as NEW OEM so that's what I wanted. My question is how do I know if these are actually new? They appear that they might but just sat in the motor for a bit. I only paided $56.25 for the 5 but if they are used they might not be worth that.

Any ideas on what I should do ?

Here's the ad:
"You are bidding on a set of (5) new Mercedes O.E.M glow plugs part# 001-159-49-01. These glow plugs fit the 2.7L Mercedes Diesel used in the Dodge and Freightliner Sprinters. These glow plugs are backed by a 100% money back guarantee. "

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Hi Doktor A, thanks for that info.
The person got back to me and sent this:
"These plugs were taken off a non installed mopar reman motor. The motor was never ran other than the test run at the rebuilder. If you are unsatisfied I will refund you 100% and request a call tag to have the plugs picked up by UPS."
What get me is the were listed as NEW OEM so that's what I wanted. My question is how do I know if these are actually new? They appear that they might but just sat in the motor for a bit. I only paided $56.25 for the 5 but if they are used they might not be worth that.

Any ideas on what I should do ?

Here's the ad:
"You are bidding on a set of (5) new Mercedes O.E.M glow plugs part# 001-159-49-01. These glow plugs fit the 2.7L Mercedes Diesel used in the Dodge and Freightliner Sprinters. These glow plugs are backed by a 100% money back guarantee. "

I recognize your seller from the money back-call tag offer. I even know the engine they came from-he was truthful about that. Keep the glow plugs and give him a brief scolding- he really should have described them as "new take-offs". Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
That seems odd (not to challenge Andy, but rather the engineering team) to make something that would fail on a defective glow plug. Does it extend to a failure of a glow-plug after it's installed?
Tim
The danger to the health of the module comes not from failed-open glow plugs but defective glow plugs that fail- shorted to ground. These can trigger a DTC-labeled as excess current draw of module. It can be diagnosed by disconnecting the relay(module) wiring connector. Pin #1-5 are the #1-5 cyl. glow plugs. A short length of 12 gage wire modified with a in-line 20 amp fuse, can then connect direct from battery to each pin -in turn. If fuse survives for minimun of 10 seconds- that particular glow plug being tested is not shorted to ground. Check all the glow plugs with this method and find the plug/plugs which are shorted-then you can safely replace a damaged module without endangering the new one. Doktor A

Last edited:

loredo_sprinter

The check engine light just turned on and I got this code off of network car: P0380: Glow Plug/Heater Circuit "A" Malfunction
Diesel engine may be difficult to start
Initial Activity: 5/5/07 06:08 PM at 51213 miles
P0672: Cylinder 2 Glow Plug Circuit
Vehicle is reporting a potential powertrain sensor malfunction
Initial Activity: 5/5/07 06:08 PM at 51213 miles

It's the very first time that I've had this code, but the car runs great , no problems so far ,any sugestions?

Jules :idunno:

b1mmuo27

I have a 2005 Dodge Sprinter with the 2.7litre 5 cylinder turbo diesel. I am trying to remove the glow plugs & what I am finding is that I can unscrew them & have the threads out of the head but the plug will not come out. Are they prone to carbon buildup on the inside? The hex of the plug appears to turn but not the stem of the glow plugs. Any ideas? I am use to GM stlye glow plug that with a little wiggling they came out. Thanks:idunno:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I was working on a cyl head in the shop - I shot a photo for you showing the protrusion of glow plug into the combustion chamber. Also a photo of a glow plug out of head. Should help you visualize whats at the other end. Doktor A

Attachments

Top Bottom