SRS warning light

kitesurfer

Over the weekend my SRS warning light on the dashboard has begun staying on for about a minute after start up then goes out. SRS is secondary restraint system yes? Is this likely to be a problem with my air bag? Do i need to get this looked at by someone with some fancy electrics who's gonna charge for a fortune for plugging in some electrics to tell me it has some error code.
Any help much appreciated.

KS

djc126

Hi. You need to have the codes read from the SRS system.

In my case, the light stayed on all the time and it was the clockspring that needed replacing.
I get an error code for the driver's seatbelt (which I don't believe) but the SRS light doesn't come on.
Regards,

Hi. You need to have the codes read from the SRS system.

In my case, the light stayed on all the time and it was the clockspring that needed replacing.
I get an error code for the driver's seatbelt (which I don't believe) but the SRS light doesn't come on.
Regards,
To further complicate things I believe there are two clocksprings. Otherwise it might be cheaper to just replace the clockspring yourself and take it in to see if it is corrected and get the SRS reset, which I believe needs a dealer scan tool. Then again, I'm going by what worked on my other make vehicles to save the cost of them installing the part. The Sprinter clockspring(s) may be prohibitively expensive for that route. AP/vic

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Over the weekend my SRS warning light on the dashboard has begun staying on for about a minute after start up then goes out. SRS is secondary restraint system yes? Is this likely to be a problem with my air bag?
Interesting that your SRS warning light even goes out. I don't know when the cutoff was, but the late model T1N's store a code in the airbag module and will not go out until a dealer with the right tool resets it.

With that said, you are very lucky and you probably don't have to go to a dealer to have it checked out or reset. The airbags (from 5 difference vehicle manufacturers) that I have experience with have a value of 2 ohms. Most likely cause of this error is a clockspring or a wire chaffing.

For instance, if you follow the wiring to the non-airbag side of the clockspring, you should measure two ohms while turning the wheel. If at any point that 2 ohm value drops out then it's your clockspring.

In addition, if you also have that explosive seatbelt retractor it's also rated 2 ohms.

kitesurfer

Cheers for the replies guys.
So this clockspring thingy what is it and from your replies it sounds like it is something if i need to can replace myself? Is there anything i should be aware of before pulling the cover off my steering wheel? I am likely to get an airbag in the face or something? :thinking:

KS

Cheers for the replies guys.
So this clockspring thingy what is it and from your replies it sounds like it is something if i need to can replace myself? Is there anything i should be aware of before pulling the cover off my steering wheel? I am likely to get an airbag in the face or something? :thinking:

KS
KS,
I strongly recommend doing an internet search for information before working on the air bag system. Air bags really are dangerous. Prior to any testing or anything else around the air bags at the very least you will want to disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes or so for any energy to drain off.

I have not changed a clockspring on a Sprinter, but generally it isn't a very complicated task. I believe there was a post about changing one out. If you do a search here you should find it.

The explosive seat belt sounds like something out of a James Bond movie. Hope this does some good. AP/vic

sikwan

06 Tin Can
This sounds dangerous! How would i know if i have one of these? Is it a cover off job and have a look for something labeled TNT?
When you take the paneling off, you will know if it has it because there are normally a couple of yellow wires plugged into the roller assembly. Yellow (maybe striped green) seems to be the international standard for airbag wiring.

Prior to any testing or anything else around the air bags at the very least you will want to disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes or so for any energy to drain off.
This is what is recommended in the service manual and I have done the same with no problems. You do not want to work around the wiring with the battery connected anyways.

If you're worried about the airbags, just disconnect them and test the continuity of the wiring. It's easy to disconnect them by pressing down on the tail of the yellow connector on the airbag. It should just pop off.

kitesurfer

KS,
I strongly recommend doing an internet search for information before working on the air bag system. Air bags really are dangerous. Prior to any testing or anything else around the air bags at the very least you will want to disconnect the battery and wait 10 minutes or so for any energy to drain off.

I have not changed a clockspring on a Sprinter, but generally it isn't a very complicated task. I believe there was a post about changing one out. If you do a search here you should find it.

The explosive seat belt sounds like something out of a James Bond movie. Hope this does some good. AP/vic
I'll stick my crash helmet on them just to be safe. :lol:
Cheers for the advice i will be careful and a bit more research first too.

KS

Top Bottom