Key wont turn need help

mungos

Hello there,

My 2007 Sprinter 2500 will not let me turn the key from position 0. I tried everything that I could think of and that I found here. Nothing seemed to work. Checked all my fuses, pushed on brake pedal together with e-brake, tried disconecting batteries, checked voltage battery cables and everything is fine, tried spare keys. Please help.

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
the barrel mechanism must have a problem be careful not to brake the key.it could be something to do with the steering locking mechanism.
maybe you need a locksmith to have a look for you.

max..............:hmmm:

stp57

Works for my 2006. Just move the wheel slightly one way or the other until the key moves. Every vehicle I've ever owned works like that.
Steve

hi,
...to leave no stone unturned: you have played with the steering-lock??

good luck
mozart

nebep

If none of the options here work - take the key out,

DO NOT USE GRAPHITE - IF YOU HAVE - GET CRC QUICK DRYING ELECTRICAL CONTACT CLEANER AND FLOOD YOUR CYLINDER!

(Everybody thinks graphite is the "wonder drug" for automotive locks - this used to be true - NOT ANY MORE!! Auto locks are constructed a LOT differently than the days when graphite was the remedy...)

Even if you haven't used any graphite - try the CRC quick drying electrical contact cleaner - I've seen it at:

Lowe's
Home Depot
Grainger

It's usually in a blue can at the home centers, and a green can at Grainger...no clue why...

After that, I suggest "Tri-Flow"

Properly lubricating a lock cylinder is a two step process - clean it, then lube it - BUT NOT WITH GRAPHITE!!!

(Getting the idea graphite isn't smart yet??)

As others have mentioned as well, check carefully for tension against the steering wheel lock bolt. This is a VERY typical cause of not getting an ignition key to turn. When you turn your wheel one way, you'll feel like you're turning against a brick wall. Turn the opposite, you should feel the wheel move slightly - when you feel that, hold the wheel in that position and try turning the key.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
This may sound lame... do you hear it unlock when you place the key near/in the ignition?

Mike Horton

One obvious suggestion. MAKE SURE VAN IS IN PARK. It may sound dumb, but if the shifter is not all the way up in park the key will not turn. I have done this myself. You have most likely eliminated this check point, but it hasn't been suggested yet.

72chevy4x4

Orion nailed it-do you hear the UNLOCKing of the mechanism when the key is inserted? that's step one, w/o the clicking of the mechanism you can't turn it (correct?)

any chance you mixed this key up with another new key waiting to be programmed? I bought one from the dealer and waiting to take it in so that they can program the key to the van (scram unit or something along those lines)-it opens the door and fits in the IGN cylinder, but it doesn't communicate w/ the van and allow the IGN locking system to turn from posn 0 to posn1/2

mungos

Hi again,

thank you all for your inputs. I really appreciate any help I can get. I tried everything from moving the steering wheel (not locked nor wheel against something), tried playing with the key, vehicle is in park. I tried everything but two options suggested.
One have not tried yet to hold key steady and turn van :clapping: lol. Second one is one that I am going to do now. Try to get it cleaned and lubricated and if that doesn't work then I will need more input. Once again thank you for your funny and practical suggestions.

mungos

Hi again,

NEBEP
thank you for your suggestion. I just finished cleaning and lubricating it and it still doesn't change anything.
ORION
As much as I remember when you put key in ignition it used to make clicking sound like it's accepting the key. Now on the other hand it doesn't make that sound anymore. It seems that its not getting power to initiate chip recognition, thus not letting me turn the key. Do you know of any solution for this problem beside towing it to the dealer which to mention is about 60 miles away. I still have three original keys that I got when purchased and neither of them work. No new keys made or ordered.

Thank You

nebep

Orion nailed it-do you hear the UNLOCKing of the mechanism when the key is inserted? that's step one, w/o the clicking of the mechanism you can't turn it (correct?)

any chance you mixed this key up with another new key waiting to be programmed? I bought one from the dealer and waiting to take it in so that they can program the key to the van (scram unit or something along those lines)-it opens the door and fits in the IGN cylinder, but it doesn't communicate w/ the van and allow the IGN locking system to turn from posn 0 to posn1/2
I don't believe communication with the chip occurs until you have turned the key at least to the point the dash lights up.

The only vehicle I'm aware of where the chip communicates before the cylinder turns is Lexus or Toyota. Even then, the lock cylinder is a MECHANICAL device, not electronic, so, it turns whether the chip and key have communicated or not.

This is more and more sounding like an issue with the steering lock bolt, or something fouled up in the lock cylinder itself not allowing internals to "fall in line".

Hi again,

It seems that its not getting power to initiate chip recognition, thus not letting me turn the key.

Mungos,
The chip doesn't work that way (edit - in a T1N). It is all electronic recognition through the SKREEM module which sends a start enable to the ECM when it gets feedback from the key chip.

I don't believe there is a mechanical interlock. I know this because people have reported that a properly cut MB-17 key which works on the doors will turn the ignition, but the dash gives a Start Error message (edit - with a T1N). That means the SKREEM didn't see the chip signal. It does not mechanically prevent the ignition cylinder from turning (edit - on T1N's anyway. Sorry. I forget that this is the NCV3 section:bash:).

Now that you have cleaned and lubed the lock unit you might try this. Insert the key and while the key is properly inserted try tapping the key and lock assembly gently with a small hammer or maybe linesman's pliers. You may have some tumblers or latches that are hung up. By tapping with the key in place it may jostle them enough to get them to drop into place.

There haven't been any young children playing in your van lately, has there?? Kids love pretending to do what the adults do and may have pushed something in there. Good luck. vic

Edit - "properly cut MB-17 key". On a T1N the key needs to be carefully reproduced and it has been reported that the head of the MB-17 key blank needs to be cut back or "relieved" so it doesn't contact the ring around the ignition switch and prevent full insertion into the ignition lock.

Last edited:

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
maybe this is an american thing but does not turn mean it wont start or the key wont turn in the barrel?:thinking:

nebep

Mungos,
The chip doesn't work that way. It is all electronic recognition through the SKREEM module which sends a start enable to the ECM when it gets feedback from the key chip.

There is no mechanical interlock. I know this because people have reported that a properly cut MB-17 key which works on the doors will turn the ignition, but the dash gives a Start Error message. That means the SKREEM didn't see the chip signal. It does not mechanically prevent the ignition cylinder from turning.

Now that you have cleaned and lubed the lock unit you might try this. Insert the key and while the key is properly inserted try tapping the key and lock assembly gently with a small hammer or maybe linesman's pliers. You may have some tumblers or latches that are hung up. By tapping with the key in place it may jostle them enough to get them to drop into place.

There haven't been any young children playing in your van lately, has there?? Kids love pretending to do what the adults do and may have pushed something in there. Good luck. vic
Good call Aqua - (I started to post to do that, but deleted it...) I'd even suggest if you choose the "tap it" route - pretend as though you're sitting at a desk in school tapping your pencil on the edge of the desk - don't tap any harder than that.

mungos

Thank you
that will be my next step. I am willing to try any suggestions and hope one of them will work. I appreciate your time.
Thank You

Mungos,
Expanding on Mike Horton's comment about the shifter. I don't know if this will work, but it won't cost anything to try.

At the lower end of the shifter is a small detent door. If you put a small screwdriver or rod in that hole and push down it mechanically releases the shift lock so the shifter handle can be moved without the ignition and "brake on" feedback to the computer.

With your foot firmly on the brake, insert a small screwdriver to release the shifter. After you can move the shifter out of park and into drive, move the shifter back and forth a couple times, then move the shift handle a bit forcefully back to the "Park" position. Then try your key again. Maybe your shifter is not seated in Park as Mike Horton suggests. Perhaps releasing it mechanically and moving it back to "Park" will seat things properly. Hope this does some good. vic

Edit - Oops!! Is what I said above true for NCV3?:bash: I know that's how it works for T1N's.:thumbup:

Last edited:

72chevy4x4

for the record, I have one key that came w/ the van and one key purchased through the dealership which turns the exterior lock cylinders but has not been programmed to operate the IGN switch.

1) put the OE key in the IGN, and even before the key is all the way inserted, the steering column lock unlocks (probably the same signal that allows the IGN cylinder to turn) and the IGN cylinder turns.

2) put the non-programmed key into the cylinder, and the steering column does not unlock and the IGN cylinder will not turn.

3) this is where it gets scary: I wiggled the non-programmed key around, in and out to make sure the IGN would not rotate and a yellow light on the dash flashes (so quickly that I couldn't determine what icon was illuminated). I put in the OE key and...it doesn't work, just like the newer non-programmed key. I try the other key thinking I mixed them up, but still no clicking or turning. I'm keeping my wits at this point knowing that I can't do without my service van, so after getting out, locking the door w/ the key, then unlocking the door w/ the key, I hop back in and all is better.

original poster: if you have not tried, lock the drivers door with the key, arm/lock w/ the FOB, then unlock the drivers door with the key. I really don't know if it will help, but then again, maybe it will.

Top Bottom