Raise a Sprinter

rvdriverca

I need to raise the body of a 2006 158" 2500 Sprinter, pleasure way camper 2-3". What would be the best way to do this and can I get in trouble doing this?? I'm trying to install a diesel generator, and its hanging down to close to the road. Thanks.:professor:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
The safest way to do this is Glide-Rite
The down side no US private sprinter owner, is prepared to commit to the price. Firestone as similar in fact both share the same airbags, but that's where it stops.
it's available in the USA
Cost ranges from US1500 to US $5000 plus it's a bolt in system but needs tech evaluation for the BFDV to be reset for adjustment
It does have MB certification of tolerances, but it's Glide-Rite is a separate stand alone warranty.Warranty applies only if professionally fitted by a certified installer.
VB is a Euro version.[Blue version] Too expensive to get into the states.
susp_03.jpg

pic7hr.jpg

air_bag_suspension.gif

2b87_3.jpg

susp_02.jpg
Richard
Forgot to mention this system allows for height adjustment to suite your requirements.

Last edited:

SprinterUSA1

Cost ranges from US1500 to US $5000 plus it's a bolt in system but needs tech evaluation for the BFDV to be reset for adjustment
It does have MB certification of tolerances, but it's Glide-Rite is a separate stand alone warranty.Warranty applies only if professionally fitted by a certified installer.

Forgot to mention this system allows for height adjustment to suite your requirements.

Richard,

what would be a $1500 version. I contacted Glide Rite a few months ago and the cost for the set up was going to be $5k plus installation.
Tab380 spend $600 a believe for the airbag helper setup. Will not change the ride comfort but allows for height adjustments also. But full air ride would be better. $1500 is doable $5k not as easily.

SprinterUSA1

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Richard,

what would be a $1500 version. I contacted Glide Rite a few months ago and the cost for the set up was going to be $5k plus installation.
Tab380 spend $600 a believe for the airbag helper setup. Will not change the ride comfort but allows for height adjustments also. But full air ride would be better. $1500 is doable $5k not as easily.

SprinterUSA1
Fair question IE;depends on the option you take.
air bags 2 or 4 depending on models GVM
Economy Valve
Ride Height Valve
Compressor Box
Mist Separator
Auto Drain Valve
Air tank which one of two?
Schrader Valve
Next options H/D shocks and or suspension bolt on change over.. option ?
Ride is superior as to riding on air the side body flex stability is improved as the principle of the air ride helps to prevent the body roll from the chassis.
Because of the Sprinters ESP programs there are many variations to the system hence the basic cost of say about $1500 to $5200 plus TAB 380 system obviously has not worked that well but 600 dollars, versus 1500. You get what you pay for.
Richard

BULBASOR

Man - I used to deal with this problem all the time when I did all my camping in pickup trucks and had a slide in pop up camper. There is this air bag lift kit made in Visallia CA and I used them on my Dodge Dakota because the camper was so heavy. I ran into VERY bad roads and almost tiped over sideways getting around a landslide and those air bags were SO STONG I bent my frame! The air bags were stronger than the frame!

Those are good little bags.

I bought larger versions of the same brand bags (MAN! I wish I could remember the brand name) and I put them on my Dodge Ram Quad Cab and they worked great. They were not expensive either. I think I paid under 200 dollars for the last set I bought and I installed them myself.

DANG! as soon as I remember the name I will blog it. (they were made in Visallia CA).

Ever since I got BULBASOR I have never needed to think about this anymore so I forgot.

mobileoilchange

Re: Raise a Sprinter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man - I used to deal with this problem all the time when I did all my camping in pickup trucks and had a slide in pop up camper. There is this air bag lift kit made in Visallia CA and I used them on my Dodge Dakota because the camper was so heavy. I ran into VERY bad roads and almost tiped over sideways getting around a landslide and those air bags were SO STONG I bent my frame! The air bags were stronger than the frame!

I bought larger versions of the same brand bags (MAN! I wish I could remember the brand name) and I put them on my Dodge Ram Quad Cab and they worked great. They were not expensive either. I think I paid under 200 dollars for the last set I bought and I installed them myself.

DANG! as soon as I remember the name I will blog it. (they were made in Visallia CA).

Ever since I got BULBASOR I have never needed to think about this anymore so I forgot.

Air rite is the system i think youre thinking of. they to use firestone air bags. the Glide rite CAD drawing Richard posted, i could make that. its nothing more then a panhard rod, and trailing arms to replace the leaf springs. i build simular set ups for cars and use air ride / firestone air spring and shock combos. its the same set up as used on semis.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

BULBASOR
The difference with yesterdays hero's of keep it simple..... are long gone
ESP is the challenge today and getting certification, for modification with the TUV..Safety is Paramount.
Both the above systems are direct bolt on systems so there is no integrity lost as to the Body Builders OEM original values.
Put it this way spend 50 grand on a van and blow it with a non certificated aftermarket system and where do you stand with warranty.
If you think the resonator is a problem ! Then this one could have the potential kill you. or some one else.
Too much involved as to dollars.
Richard

BULBASOR

THAT'S IT! THANKS JD!

They were HELLWIG and they worked GREAT. I always though I would blow them but those things turned out to be stronger than any tire I ever owned. I think Richard hit the nail on the head though - Sprinter suspension is SOOOOOOO specialized and engineered that I doubt you could easy modify it. It's SO amazing to me how BULBASOR seems to correct his front back left right trim no matter how I load him or what part of the van we are walking around in. The spring is a SINGLE!! Which is a freeaking astonishing thing to a yank like me who is accustomed to seeing multiple leafs riding like a tank under my trucks. That composite spring on BULBASOR is like a piece of smart steel or fiberglass or something. It KNOWS if I'm leaning left or right and it always puts me in balance and level. They are truly astonishing springs. I doubt the airbags would be anything other than a detriment.

P.S. Hey JD - You think those Voddoo donuts an your part of town will get me through the CANADA police?

rvdriverca

Thanks for your help. but I already have the Firestone airbags, and with a 120 lbs of air in them and with my elec. scooter on a ramp mounted on the hitch receiver, there is only 7" of road clearance. I believe I have to go to a set of lift blocks on the rear axle. I just cant count on the air bags staying full of air.

cedarsanctum

re: Member
When i had a Plymouth Voyager with an electric cart lift in the rear receiver, i took the van down to a shop that specializes in springs and had an extra leaf added to the rear springs. Not only did it raise the back end, the van drove better. It did affect the brake balance, but the adjuster was able to make up the difference.

Seems like the most permanent solution, even with a Sprinter.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
THAT'S IT! THANKS JD!

They were HELLWIG and they worked GREAT. <snip>
P.S. Hey JD - You think those Voddoo donuts an your part of town will get me through the CANADA police?
You're welcome.

As for the bribery: I've never had a problem with Canadian Authorities. Anyway, Voodoo donuts: I don't have an experience with 'em, but I doubt you'll need anything going North. Getting back in, just complain a bit - not a lot, just a bit - about how you didn't get into a Museum or some theater and how you're glad to be back on US soil and the US border thought police will pass you though quickly. Say the wrong thing and they'll strip search BULBASOR and cite you for having unusual taste in vehicles. The good news is that if you are cited, it costs too much to send you to Cuba for interrogation. Instead, they just lecture you for a few hours until you admit you shouldn't have left the country in the first place and release you when you're able to recite the pre-amble to the US Constitution to the tune of "Oh Canada."

Good luck.

Top Bottom