Questions from New pending Mercedes Sprinter dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read on a sportsmobile website on yahoo that all small diesels(less than 14,000 pounds)
in california must have yearly emissions inspections. this applies to all years after 1998.

kmessinger

I just read on a sportsmobile website on yahoo that all small diesels(less than 14,000 pounds)
in california must have yearly emissions inspections. this applies to all years after 1998.
I am not sure why this is posted here.

That being said, the statement is not entirely correct. My 2008 Sportsmobile Sprinter, just renewed for 2011, did not require a smog check. Maybe they don't know it is a diesel?

The check, if required, is entirely visual. It is just another $ stealing regulation from the state. It is not required in all counties.

Regards,

Keith

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

That being said, the statement is not entirely correct. My 2008 Sportsmobile Sprinter, just renewed for 2011, did not require a smog check. Maybe they don't know it is a diesel?

The check, if required, is entirely visual. It is just another $ stealing regulation from the state. It is not required in all counties.

Regards,

Keith
Because Jerry is not a sprinter owner he's as biased as they come with old technology! So he bought a Guess what?:lol:
that's why he posts rubbish along with negativity commonly known as the Glad-fly of total annoyance.

K-9 SPRINTER

Regards,

Keith
here in NY state, it don't matter what you drive, you gotta pass a yearly emissions test and safety check..... even a new vehicle from the dealer must be tested. The emmision test you get hooked to the computer, which is tied into the dmv,so if you dont pass, you cant drive it and they block future registration

Last edited:

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
Thanks for the valuable info ger,

How did your test go and where do you live In CA?
Which Sprinter do you own?

My Santa Monica CA registered 2007 has never required a smog test, maybe they don't like your choice of vehicles...

Thanks again but let's give Mark his thread back.

Thanks for the valuable info ger,

How did your test go and where do you live In CA?
Which Sprinter do you own?

My Santa Monica CA registered 2007 has never required a smog test, maybe they don't like your choice of vehicles...

Thanks again but let's give Mark his thread back.

Thanks, but it's really your thread. It is here for everyone. Your the customers.

Best,

Mark

Andy in NH

You may need to add a high bay Mark. When I was in on Friday there was a (I think Winnebago) Sprinter conversion that wouldn't fit the service bays due to the AC pod.
Camper service can be a whole 'nother ball of wax - really want to go there?

RickL

We checked out an Airstream Sprinter and we both agreed that the quality of the conversion was not very good. Some people really like them, though!

Rick L

slowstride

Roadtrek Adventurous RS has a similar layout, and a similar price tag! It's a lot of cash, but the thought of fitting out a sprinter with all of the interconnected systems is somewhat daunting. Hopefully resale values will hold up. Certainly the first owner will take a hit, as is the case whenever you drive a new vehicle off the lot. Searching European Sprinter RV conversion companies and their products is interesting.

Paul

Andy in NH

Question for all you conversion owners: When I had a 5th wheel camper, it came with literally a box containing the individual manufacturer's warranties and service items. The manufacturer (Forest River) basically covered the chassis and body and you were on your own for the rest! Is this common practice? Single source responsibility would be key in any future purchase (IMHO).

Attention Stuttgart Bound USA Dealers

Attention USA dealers going to Stuttgart:

Please bring back good news! We want All Wheel Drive Sprinter!!

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110214/RETAIL07/302149991/1379

Applying for Sprinter not so easyDiana T. Kurylko
Automotive News -- February 14, 2011 - 12:01 am ET

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110214/RETAIL07/302149991/1379#ixzz1E3FssmRL

Mercedes-Benz dealers were abuzz about their pending trip to Stuttgart.

All Mercedes dealers have been invited to headquarters in April to see future product and hear the brand's growth strategies, said Bud Smail, owner of a Mercedes dealership in Greensburg, Pa.

The 20-minute make meeting was otherwise low-key, especially because brand executives left early to attend and host a Super Bowl event in Dallas.

Dealers were told that applying for a Sprinter commercial vehicle franchise has become more complicated, requiring more details on the application and more time for approval, said Robert Woerner, Mercedes-Benz USA's general manager of the Western region.

Mercedes-Benz dealers began selling the Daimler-made Sprinter commercial vehicle in January 2010. Woerner wants to double the number of dealers selling it to about 200 in the next few years.

Dealers were also told that Mercedes-Benz topped $1 billion in aftermarket sales last year.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20110214/RETAIL07/302149991/1379#ixzz1E3FVRYv8

Last edited:
You may need to add a high bay Mark. When I was in on Friday there was a (I think Winnebago) Sprinter conversion that wouldn't fit the service bays due to the AC pod.
Camper service can be a whole 'nother ball of wax - really want to go there?

Great feedback. I saw your van coming out the other day, cleared by about an inch. :thumbup:
I had the construction folks in the day after. We are adding two feet to the door, both the outside and our inside door. Because yes, we need to fit everything in. The good things is, we have other facilities, and that new high speed door will go over there, and we will add a new high speed door here.

Sprinter actually came after the building was done. Which as most of you know, was doubled last year.
Who knew? Regardless, not that big of a deal, we actually have had to order an additional lift, which brings us to three. We are growing the busiess at a rapid pace and will continue to expand our service capabilites just as quickly.

Thanks for the feedback.

We will see where we go with the RV industry, at the very least, I want to offer service to every sprinter made, regardless of the size.

Mark

Last edited:
Great feedback. I saw your van coming out the other day, cleared by about an inch. :thumbup:
I had the construction folks in the day after. We are adding two feet two the door, both the outside and our inside door. Because yes, we need to fit everything in. The good things is, we have other facilities, and that new high speed door will go over there, and we will add a new high speed door here.

Sprinter actually came after the building was done. Which as most of you know, was doubled last year.
Who knew? Regardless, not that big of a deal, we actually have had to order an additional lift, which brings us to three. We are growing the busiess at a rapid pace and will continue to expand our service capabilites just as quickly.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mark

And another thank you, because after I read the note again, I saw what you said about the AC, I believe we addressed that, but I am not sure. Thank you, for bringing that up, imagine all that work with the door etc.... and then we have an A/C duct in the way, :thumbup: I will make sure we address, Thank you again!

Mark

avid

Saphira's rider
Airstream Sprinters

MSRP 120k or so.

Any opinions ?

Mark
We purchased a 2007 Airstream Interstate. We paid significantly less than Mark's figure however still a significant amount and think it was worth every cent. One unmentioned fact is that Airstream uses non-toxic materials in construction. We both nearly died of asphyxiation when viewing a new Sprinter conversion of another brand on a hot day. We have had very few issues with our Interstate and the ones that occurred where handled by Airstream without question. We owned an a Class C RV from a brand, I will leave unnamed, that was nothing but problems. Not only was that manufacturer difficult to deal with but the dealer wasn't much help either. Our Airstream warranty issues have been handled by our nearest dealer, George Sutton RV in Eugene, like we purchased it there. Everyone that sees our Interstate has nothing but great things to say about its appearance. After nearly three years of use we feel very satisfied with the quality of construction and the materials and components used. I wouldn't even consider purchasing anything but another Airstream in the future.

4X4 IS COMING!!!!!!

It will most likely be launched in 2013!!!

Or sooner, let them hear you loud and clear if you want it sooner! I already know the answer , I told them that this would make most of you erupt with excitement! :thumbup::thumbup:

Best,

Mark P Hoch
General Manager
Flagship Motorcars
Sprinter Vans** New Line of Commercial Vans!
smart center lynnfield
A Herb Chambers Co.
Lynnfield, MA 01940
781-974-8274 cell
781-596-9700 work

mhoch@herbchambers.com

bignose13

Great news

will that also mean that they will be able to retro fit in this country then too...because the parts will be available???

4X4 IS COMING!!!!!!

It will most likely be launched in 2013!!!

Or sooner, let them hear you loud and clear if you want it sooner! I already know the answer , I told them that this would make most of you erupt with excitement! :thumbup::thumbup:

Best,

Mark P Hoch
General Manager
Flagship Motorcars
Sprinter Vans** New Line of Commercial Vans!
smart center lynnfield
A Herb Chambers Co.
Lynnfield, MA 01940
781-974-8274 cell
781-596-9700 work

mhoch@herbchambers.com

Slider13

We checked out an Airstream Sprinter and we both agreed that the quality of the conversion was not very good. Some people really like them, though!

Rick L
I am really suspicious of blanket statements like the one above, because there is no explanation behind it. You don't know if the person making the claim is qualified and making an honest and unbiased opinion based on their experince or a competing element with an agenda. It's more of a disservice to the people that come here looking for valuable insight into Sprinter related products. I'll admit that I own an Airstream Interstate built in 2005. Airstream products have always been a cut above and pricier than your run in the mill. No doubt there is a premium to be paid to own an Airstream. The list price was pretty high on the thing, but who will pay list price on this board? Mine came with everything loaded (no apologies), which was my preference. I negotiated hard and purchased it in 2006 at a $30K discount. I looked into a Sportsmobile conversion, but I didn't like the DIY character of the build. After researching for about a year and looking at 5 of the main other competing Sprinter based RV's in the market, we settled on the Airstream Interstate. The build quality on the Airstream was superior or no less equal to the other builders that we looked at. One unique thing our Interstate had was a full on custom body paint over the factory Grey, which added around $5K to the price. Many of you here complain about rust on your vans. We'll, after six years sitting outside my Sprinter has no rust yet, knock on wood. We preferred the interior cabinetry and layout of the two facing couch's in the front. After 40K miles, we've had no issues with the major components, except for the Moen faucet cracking one winter, one flourescent lighting fixture went bad and a leak coming from the roof vent. All repaired by the Airstream dealer with no hassle. I had to replace the Turbo Resonator twice before replacing it with the Riordon Eliminator on the Sprinter and I replaced both batteries with AGM's recently. My unit has remained relatively tight and quiet even on rough pavement. No plumbing leaks, roof AC in good working order, propane generator starts everytime no hesitation and the cabinetry is holding up pretty good despite the rough treatment my kids dishes out. I've had to add one or two reinforcing screws to the wood panels around the couch that was coming loose all the time. The couch leather surface is still like new. These are minor things you can expect from a house on wheels that constantly flexes and gets jounced around pretty good on the road. These are qualities that I attribute to a good engineered product based on real life experience over a 5-6 year period in performance of what the product was intend for. The Airstream Interstate is like a magnet at campsites and people are amazed at the condition after telling them that it is a 2005 model. I am not saying the Airstream is the best out on the field, but there are a lot of other factors that go into choosing an rv and I have no regrets. Hopefully, people find this helpful coming from someone who has first hand experience with the product.

Slider13:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom