Clone Key for Sprinter

correllbil

2002 Freightliner 3500
I have found this key offer on Ebay. The guy states that the key can be cloned to my sprinter and used to start the van. Has anyone purchased one of these and had success with them? It is Ebay Item number 270795548719.

Thanks,
Billy C.:thinking:

glas1700

Since you'll have to find a locksmith to clone the key, why not just buy a key from the locksmith instead of an ebay vendor?

Byron
07 Navion

geoffs

2003 T1N 316CDI LWB
I've been chasing up a spare key for my van for a while. Mercedes wanted an obscene amount (about $320 from memory) to provide and program a new key so went looking for locksmiths.
For some reason, none would/could do a Mercedes key. Not sure if it's a problem in getting blanks or what. I finally found a local guy who will supply/cut/program a key for $160

I found a few suitable blanks on eBay so have have to find out if the locksmith will cut/program a blank I provide.

At the very least, I'mm going to get a non transponder key cut 'just in case'

autostaretx

Erratic Member
From the photo, that is the correct conformance to match the 2002-2006 key.
(it's possible it's a VW blank)
It also appears to be the correct "ten tumbler" length.
Certainly i'd be willing to risk $18...

And then i noticed the Interchange number (BYS15TK1) on that eBay listing.
Googling *that* loops us right back to this nice posting here in Sprinter Forum:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=81703&postcount=31

So "Yes", i'd buy the key and have a cooperative local locksmith program it.
"Cooperative" means that they have a Bianchi "Repli-Code 7 TX Programmer",
in which case they may even have that Bianchi Key Blank "BYS15TK1"

(the beginning of the thread https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965 has more discussion)

--dick

glvu

Anyone knows of locksmith in southern California that will make a transponder key like the above post. I have been calling around and there seems to be noone with that type key nor a programmer. Thanks

Were I a locksmith in the key cloning business (I'm not) I would probably not readily clone a key someone picked up from eBay for me to use. If it doesn't work it makes me look bad even if the supplied eBay key was totally at fault.

It's not right to not just let the guy do the entire job in cases like these. I was on the phone just recently to a locksmith about cloning a key for me. They wanted $75.00 for the job. I wouldn't even consider suggesting that I supply the key. Others may disagree. I don't care. vic

From the photo, that is the correct conformance to match the 2002-2006 key.
(it's possible it's a VW blank)
It also appears to be the correct "ten tumbler" length.
Certainly i'd be willing to risk $18...

And then i noticed the Interchange number (BYS15TK1) on that eBay listing.
Googling *that* loops us right back to this nice posting here in Sprinter Forum:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=81703&postcount=31

So "Yes", i'd buy the key and have a cooperative local locksmith program it.
"Cooperative" means that they have a Bianchi "Repli-Code 7 TX Programmer",
in which case they may even have that Bianchi Key Blank "BYS15TK1"

(the beginning of the thread https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=965 has more discussion)

--dick

Bob of QF

At the very least, I'mm going to get a non transponder key cut 'just in case'
I had them cut me 3. I really don't want to be locked out...

:)

Note--some of the MB plain key blanks have a problem with sprinter's ignition, but work just fine in the doors.

There's too much "head" and the stem is not long enough-- but if you trim off the lower part of the head with a grinder, it will go into and turn the ignition.

Not that it'll start, mind, or run for more than a second if you do manage to finagle the starting...

or run for more than a second if you do manage to finagle the starting...
Actually with the T1N's the key chip need only be present for the initial recognition by the SKREEM module. A "door only" non-chipped key can be used to start the Sprinter by holding the chipped key bow (black plastic head or handle) in close proximity to the ignition switch ring antenna. Once the engine starts the chip can be moved from that proximity to your pocket or other convenient location. I know this is true because that is what I did when my OEM chipped key broke and I used my door only key. vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
It's not right to not just let the guy do the entire job in cases like these. I was on the phone just recently to a locksmith about cloning a key for me. They wanted $75.00 for the job. I wouldn't even consider suggesting that I supply the key.
I'd only supply a blank if they couldn't supply one themselves. (MB-17's are pretty rare around here too)

--dick

1mbdoc

A-aabot in Orange (on Katella at the 55) supplied the blank, cut and programmed it to my 04 sprinter for $ 39 total

Bob of QF

Actually with the T1N's the key chip need only be present for the initial recognition by the SKREEM module. A "door only" non-chipped key can be used to start the Sprinter by holding the chipped key bow (black plastic head or handle) in close proximity to the ignition switch ring antenna. Once the engine starts the chip can be moved from that proximity to your pocket or other convenient location. I know this is true because that is what I did when my OEM chipped key broke and I used my door only key. vic
I believe you. However... for my van? It does not work...

I could successfully start and the engine would run for about a minute, then die.

Mind, I never moved the black key-head during that time.

I do have an aftermarket starter-kill module (it uses a remote) that used to be an alarm, but someone prior to me, cut the wire to the siren. I wonder if that's doing something?

Obviously, I had already disabled the start-kill or neither key will crank the engine.

Meh. I should mess with this some more, I guess.

Rafaelo

I have found this key offer on Ebay.
My local hardware store (Martin Hardware, Charlottesville VA.) duplicated my start key for my 2003 Sprinter 2500 (a T1N model) for about $35. Thirty-five dollars. The microchip or whatever it is inside the new key works just fine, the Sprinter starts up and runs happily, as AquaPuttana suggests (what the heck is a SKREEM?). Only thing they couldn't do is provide a remote door lock/unlock.

I believe you.
Thanks for not calling me a liar. :cheers:

Sorry. I guess I'm a bit wound up tonight. :idunno:

...I do have an aftermarket starter-kill module (it uses a remote) that used to be an alarm, but someone prior to me, cut the wire to the siren. I wonder if that's doing something?
Sounds to me like you identified the culprit.

Obviously, I had already disabled the start-kill or neither key will crank the engine.

Meh. I should mess with this some more, I guess.
We had problems getting to the correct position with just a 1/2" key stub left. It must be even that much more difficult to hit the sweet spot with the full blade remaining on the key. Have fun. vic

correllbil

2002 Freightliner 3500
I found something interesting today. One of my keys has been damaged by a dog as stated earlier. Today while I was working on my sprinter, I tried the damaged key (the electronics has been damaged) and I find that the key starts the van and runs fine. Is the "Chip" separate from the electronics that opens the doors?

Is the "Chip" separate from the electronics that opens the doors?
Yes.

They are two different technologies. Basically from the pages of the manual.

The chip for the key recognition SKREEM system chip is a passive device without any power source. It actually gets the power it needs to transmit a signal from the antenna ring around the ignition switch by using a close proximity inductive coupling. When it is in the proper electrical field it responds with a signal that is interpreted by the vehicle system.

The door lock and security system FOB uses batteries to supply power to a transmitter which sends a signal to the van systems from a reasonable distance.

The inductive chip is encapsulated in plastic, is small and likely was not damaged by man's best friend mistaking that yummy plastic FOB for a chew toy. vic

P.S. - You really need to control your dog better. I know that because today I came home to find that our best friend had somehow opened the door to our linen/misc. closet and stolen/chewed a roll of surgical tape, some Q-tips, and a brand new, in the box, bottle of children's acetaminophen (Bubble Gum Flavor) from the highest shelves. :bash: For reference, he looks exactly like the jumping dog in BBlessing's recent video. They must be related.

I was quite worried when I counted the remaining pills to find only 27 left. I thought it was a bottle of 60. Turns out it was 30 to the bottle. So fortunately 100 pound dog + 3 pills does not = fatal. Needless to say our rescue program pet is back to crate living when we're not home. :crazy: and he was doing so well. :thinking:

Last edited:

hulagun

Haulin' A** since 1974
Anybody in the San Francisco CA bay area know of a SF locksmith making functioning clone keys for T1N Sprinters?

Thanks in advance

Top Bottom