oil maintenace reset

fedtech

Anybody know how to reset the oil change interval or the little wrench on the dash...without going to the dealer....

Ciprian

Spark Plugs not allowed!
Anybody know how to reset the oil change interval or the little wrench on the dash...without going to the dealer....
What year is your sprinter? If 2006 and older, it is possible, if 2007 and newer, you cannot, even though the manual says it is.

dbeyer

Courtesy of the Sprinter Owners Manual down loaded from the D-C site HERE Noted by Seek in this thread

When a service has been performed, have the ASSYST maintenance computer reset by an authorized Sprinter
Dealer.
Should your Sprinter for any reason not be serviced by
an authorized Sprinter Dealer, the ASSYST
maintenance computer can, in exceptional
circumstances, be reset as follows:

Turn the key to position 2 in the ignition lock and
immediately press the button MI (KM) twice.

Within 10 seconds, return the key to position 0 in the
ignition lock.

Press and hold the button MI (KM). Turn the key to
position 2 in the ignition lock. Keep the
button MI (KM) pressed.

The maintenance indicator with the current remaining
time/distance is shown.

After about 10 seconds, an acoustic signal will sound
and the maintenance indicator is displayed with the
new remaining time/distance.
Release the button MI (KM).

NOTE: The ASSYST maintenance computer provides
information on the optimum maintenance requirements.
If maintenance intervals are not observed, resulting
damage will not be covered by Warranty.

The ASSYST maintenance computer is not an engine oil gauge.
I did a search for "Resetting ASSYST"
GREAT TOOL

David

boardster

I had lost a few hours of sleep worrying about the inevitable inability to re-set the "wrench" in my '08,
and now that I'm there (12,000 mi.) , and have had the maintenance done by an independent incapable of re-setting, I'm wondering, is the "wrench" at start-up all that it is?
I had pictured a super bright permanent reminder warning, messing with my night vision and all.
I had planned to duct tape over it or punch it's lights out with a small drill bit.
Is this really all it ever will be, a few second pre-emption of my odometer reading at start up?
If so, what's the big deal? :idunno:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I haven't found any Chrysler documentation about ASSYST other than what's in the owner and service manuals.

Beyond the cosmetic impact of failing to reset ASSYST, NCV3 drivers haven't posted on Sprinter-Source - or added to the yahoo sprintervan group data stream - any issues arising from foregoing the ASSYST reset.

For now, to me at least, NCV3 ASSYST is doing an execellent imitation of a USD $40,000+ version of nagware.

If you - the reader - know of (or experienced) an additional, adverse impact of not resetting ASSYST, please tell us.

-Jon

Jenner

It is on good source that the 2008 (probably the 2007 also but don't know),CANNOT be reset without the computer being accessed by the high dollar instrument that the dealer uses. My local dealer doesn't particularly like it when I come in for a reset on the assyst, but they still will reset it for free. The reason for this is I refuse to go to them for regular 10,000 oil/filters changes. I save $200.00 + and save myself 2.5 hours waiting on them to do what I do in 20 minutes! My time is money. I've found a source in Mo. that sells me the SAME filters that Mercedes uses, and at 1/2 the price. The oil is a different story, as I'm limited to the 5-30 Mobil 1 ESP. But I'm now getting it for $8.99 per liter!

Greenbean950

I have 2006 2500 Sprinter with ASSYST. It no longer evaluates the oil cleanliness, but gives a straight 10,000 mile oil change interval. I remember when I first received the Sprinter, I could go ~15k between oil changes and could get the countdown mileage to extend when I put a little clean oil in to fill the level to full. How do I get the ASSYST to properly function so I can get the most of my oil change intervals?

talkinghorse43

I have 2006 2500 Sprinter with ASSYST. It no longer evaluates the oil cleanliness, but gives a straight 10,000 mile oil change interval. I remember when I first received the Sprinter, I could go ~15k between oil changes and could get the countdown mileage to extend when I put a little clean oil in to fill the level to full. How do I get the ASSYST to properly function so I can get the most of my oil change intervals?
Or, possibly there is a low level contaminant in your oil - like maybe coolant?

jmgasior

jmgasior
not complaining but how many times was that key turned on and off,was it a repeat or is that how its done>?sorry for complaining

Greenbean950

For Ciprian & Talkinghorse: Just curious, how would tainted oil make the sensor stop working and for the 10,000 clock kick in? If the oil was fouled, wouldn't the sensor indicate that the oil needed changed? Also, I have changed the oil three times since I notice this functional change. Appreciate letting me ask what probably seem as novice questions.

papap

So for a 2011 you have to bring it to a dealer. Mine is a Freightliner. Can a Dodge dealer do the reset? Sprinter dealer is 3 hours one way from me.

azpathfinder

Re: Oil Maintenance Reset ASSYST - 2009 V6 Diesel

I have a 2009 Sprinter 3500 V6 Diesel. Change my own oil and reset ASSYST to 10,000 miles.

Reset ASSYST: Resetting the ASSYST Oil Change Service Reminder to 10,000 miles (No steering wheel buttons):

1. Put the key in the ignition and switch it on (to second position) without
starting the engine.

2. The ASSYST mileage will show; when the mileage shown “returns to the vehicle
mileage” hold the O button down until you hear a beep (about 30 seconds).

3. As soon as you hear the beep, press the M button repeatedly and a number of
reset menus will appear. Select "reset 51". Don't know what the other reset
menus are for.

4. At reset 51 press the O button for 3 about seconds until a number 2 appears,

5. release the O button, then press it again and release quickly. LCD should display “reset done." (if it doesn't work, repeat the procedure...worked for me)

Hope this helps...

SOLBRTs

Not sure if this is the right thread but here goes.

2011 LR 144 2500. A service completed at 97-9800 mi. Then 7900 miles around the country in 3 weeks 105-110 degrees ambient temps. Now 500 miles or so after our trip Assyst says I need another A service.

This makes sense to me if it is basically telling me I need an oil change after a very long drive. However, the dealer who will do the service is telling me I need a B service (because for sure I need a new fuel filter) and that the first dealer probably didnt reset the Assyst correctly.

Any thoughts? Happy to do excessive maintenance if there is a benefit but wary about doubting/disregarding the Assyst....

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Not sure if this is the right thread but here goes.

2011 LR 144 2500. A service completed at 97-9800 mi. Then 7900 miles around the country in 3 weeks 105-110 degrees ambient temps. Now 500 miles or so after our trip Assyst says I need another A service.

This makes sense to me if it is basically telling me I need an oil change after a very long drive. However, the dealer who will do the service is telling me I need a B service (because for sure I need a new fuel filter) and that the first dealer probably didnt reset the Assyst correctly.

Any thoughts? Happy to do excessive maintenance if there is a benefit but wary about doubting/disregarding the Assyst....

What is the total mileage?

2007-2009 Sprinters do this:

Mile 0: Service A due in 10,000 miles
<reset @ 10,000 miles>
Mile 10,000: Service A due in 10,000 miles
<reset @ 20,000 miles>
Mile 20,000: Service B due in 10,000 miles
<reset @ 30,000 miles>
Mile 30,000: Service A due in 10,000 miles
<reset @ 40,000 miles>
Mile 40,000: Service A due in 10,000 miles
<reset @ 50,000 miles>
Mile 50,000: Service B Due in 10,000 miles.

A-A-B-A-A-B[and so on, and so on]

I don't know what your 2011 Sprinter's doing because Daimler changed a lot of programming between 2009 and 2010; so much that Dodge scan tools can't talk to 2010+ Sprinters.

-Jon

PS: Daimler told Dodge that 2007-2009 Sprinters have a 10,000 mile fuel filter duty cycle. I heard that it's been changed to 20,000 for 2010+ US/Canadian Sprinters.

SOLBRTs

Thanks very much for the confirmation. It matches what I am seeing. I am going to plow through the owners manual again tonight and see what it has to say.

The dealer is experienced and they may be saying B service as best practice based on that experience but if that is the case they should make that clear.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
On 2007-2009 Sprinters, if you reset ASSYST twice in a row, you skip a head in the A-A-B-A-A-B cycle. There's no way, using a Chrysler tool like WiTECH or StarMOBILE, to "go backwards" or "set Service Due in x miles." You may only go "forward" in the cycle and you can't shorten the 10,000 miles duration.

During the Dodge years, NCV3s in the US and Canada have ASSYST that is just a dumb cycle.

I do not know if MB's Star Diagnosis System (SDS) has better control over the ASSYST system.

-Jon

Top Bottom