Headlights not working

maxzoom

2006 T1N 118" + 2006 T1N 140" + 2005 T1N 118"
""Quote:
Originally Posted by JRK96
Check the plastic electrical connectors to the bulb.
I found a damaged / cracked connector housing on one of my headlights - to be the root cause of rapid bulb failure on one side. Replaced both sides with an after market connector available at the Autoparts store for about $7.00. ""

I do not have DRL on my 2005 or 2006.

Till now the headlights have been no problem.

I had one lowbeam headlight out on my 2005 driver's side. The H7 bulb was obviously burnt out. I replaced it with a new H7 bulb but the lowbeam would not go on. I checked the connector which looks fine. I wiggled and wiggled it and finally the H7 lowbeam went on. So I am going to order a 2 of those connectors. Are those connectors easy to replace and install? Looks like you just have to cut the two wires to the connector and splice them into the new connector. Right?

But now a bigger headlight problem on the passenger side just came up for the first time. The passenger lowbeam and high beam headlamps were working fine. Just that little white bulb was out for a long time. I call it the parking light bulb. In the 2005 Sprinter Parts CD I think they call it Front Position Lamp W5W-12V 5W. Anyway I was about to replace the bulb and it went on when I started to remove it. So I didn't replace it... i guess just a loose connection.

I put back on the cover of the passenger side and turned on the headlights. The passenger lowbeam did not work! I checked the low beam bulb it looked fine but replaced it anyway with a new one. Low beam still did not work. I wiggled and wiggled the connector but still the low beam passenger side will not turn on.

What is going on? That parking light front position light went out again. Sometimes you can get by with just the Front Position lamp (the police will not stop you it just looks like a dim headlamp). Any help or ideas please. It is dark season now. And the police will stop a vehicle with only one headlight working.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Unplug the connector, and verify that each pin is doing what it should:
That the ground pin (brown wire) has a good connection to the Sprinter frame (i.e. very close to zero ohms on an ohmmeter... not infinite. 2 ohms or higher is too much).
That each of the power pins are being driven (12v) when that lamp circuit is on.

Refer to wiring section 8W from the 2003 or 2006 service manuals, available here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/

good luck
--dick

maxzoom

Sounds like a bad earth
No I don't think it is as bad as that. Did you ever read "The Good Earth" by Pearl S.Buck. We read that book in a High School class way back when. It was a good book.

Anyway I am just having some dumb luck. Or like that Led Zepplin song "Good Times Bad Times" And still working on "Don't Make Little Problems into Big Problems".

The bottom line is I had a stroke 3 years ago. The stroke (brain attack) hit the left part of my brain. I have Aphasia; can not communicate, understand, etc as well. So what I'm trying to say is give me some slack and understanding. But anyway thank God I am still alive and can walk, talk, and a good driver IMHO (no tickets or warnings in the last 5 or so years).

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
"bad earth" is the Queen's English for "bad ground connection" ... which is what my "test the brown wire" was talking about.

..and your headlight's symptoms are fairly typical for that kind of fault.

--dick

JAM

Sorry to hear about your stroke and yes it is a great thing your still alive and doing good.
My headlights did the same thing last year. My problem was a burned connector and the stake on that goes to the lights were opened up a bit. Try squeezing them tight with pliers or strippers and make sure they are snug. I also used electrical anti sieze gel on them to stop any more corrosion. No problems so far.

pgr

I had to replace the connector on one side as it melted from the heat of the halogen bulb. I decided to just replace both sides with ceramic ones I discovered online (no link, sorry) they were only about $5 each as I recall and no more problems! I also removed the 3 daytime running light fuses so they do not burn out as often (the license plate bulb is still always on however).

maxzoom

"bad earth" is the Queen's English for "bad ground connection" ... which is what my "test the brown wire" was talking about.

..and your headlight's symptoms are fairly typical for that kind of fault.

--dick
Thanks for explaining to me about "bad earth". That's the first time I heard that phrase. I thought Amboman wasn't talking about cars and took that phrase personally.

kjg912

2006 T1N 2500
I also have an issue with my 2004 Sprinter passenger side headlight - it works when started but not when I use the headlight switch! The brights work either way, but the dim does not! Is there a different fuse that the power goes through when the switch is turned on or is perhaps the headlight switch faulty? :cheers:

kjg912

2006 T1N 2500
I found a previous thread on this subject/problem, I will check fuses as this is indeed the starting point! Cheers!

maxzoom

Headlights are working now. :rolleyes: It was the bulbs. I have a zip lock bag of spare bulbs for the Sprinters. I had two low beam bulbs in there that looked brand new . But upon closer look one low beam bulb had a 1/8 inch of filament rattling around in there. The other bulb in there looked new but would not work either. And the other bulb in the 2005 would work sometime if I wiggled aroung the connector. I was about to replace the connector but tried one more thing. I took the 2006 Sprinter low beam bulb and put it in the 2005 Sprinter and the light went right on. I took the low beam bulb that only worked sometimes and put it in the 2006 and the low beam bulb did not work.
Here is what i have concluded;

1. I put a bad bulb in the wrong place. Instead of throwing the bulb away I kept one in there so when i go to a parts shop I would show them which bulb I needed.

2. Or one of the good bulbs was rattling around in my spare zip lock bag and broke that way. I kept the spare bulbs under the front passenger seat and drive on a very bumpy, potholed road.

kjg912

2006 T1N 2500
Well, I checked the fuses, they all look intact, so I guess my problem with the passenger side headlight must be the stalk switch or perhaps a relay or loose wire, as it works with fine with DRL but the passenger side goes out with the switch turned on! The brights work fine, but I'll still be driving on DRL until I can do some more checking! It would be nice to have the center console lights working at night! Any idea which relay would be involved with the stalk switch for the headlights? :thinking:

... Any idea which relay would be involved with the stalk switch for the headlights? :thinking:
Yep. I have some ideas. Not without model year and info though. vic

Please take the time to add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!! It's easy to do. It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

Here's how to do it.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
After you are logged in click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right corner.
On the left side under "Your Profile" click on "Edit your Details".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type the information.
I suggest “Vehicle year – NAFTA or 311, etc.” depending upon your location.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.

Another place is in your "Signature".
Click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right.
On the left look for "Setting and Options".
Click on "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in the information you want.
I used “NAFTA 2004 OM647 140 2500 Std Roof >246,000 mi. DAD” [/QUOTE]
Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.

I don’t know what objection anyone could have to adding their model year and Sprinter detail information permanently. (You don’t need to include your location.) Consider it this way. Members of the forum will try to help you. Do you think that it is fair for one to expect anyone to dig up your vehicle information before they reply? You add the info once and you’re done. Sorry if I'm being too straightforward for some.

Last edited:
B

billintomahawk

The headlights are grounded just behind themselves on flat sheet metal. On the drivers side this is also under the battery.

With mine the PO must have exploded the battery, half the battery box was gone and acid had found its way below the battery. It was so bad I extended the grounds up to the firewall common ground. From memory the grounds are generally brown colored wires. The ground bundles on either side ground multiple functions.

In the wiring section in the Service manual there is a page showing all the ground locations and it is helpful and informative.

If you go on a mission the taillights have a rear ground that should be serviced, the firewall grounds of course and the battery negative clamp. There is one under the drivers seat and up in the dash(I haven't seen that one).

Plus the frame ground strap that is a major villain.

A google search give this as #1.
s

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom