Engine Light on with code P0064

kmessinger

Today, as I left a Red Cross event I was working, I noticed the check engine light on. Damn! The last time this cost me $600+. I had about 20 miles to get home and when I was within a couple of miles I noticed the a/c was blowing hot air. Checked engine temp, no problem. Turned a/c off and then on (reboot) and got cold air.

In the driveway the scan gauge showed P0064 which (if I can trust the scan gauge) is HO2S Heater Control Circuit Hi Bank2 Sensor3. Made sense. Used the scan gauge to clear the code, started the bus and voila! No check engine light! Can I be so lucky?

I think all is well. Due for the 60k check in about three weeks and a mega road trip in October, I want to believe! :thumbup:

showkey

If you can believe the scan gauge.............sound like the O2 heater is failing.............If thats the case the code will return soon:frown::frown:

The next question is it coverd by emmisions warranty??? maybe...maybe not:idunno:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
I can't find anything close to that description in the diesel documentation posted here:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7614

I also can't find any matching description in he Complete Sprinter Fault Guide Volume 2: 2007-2010 by Eric J Ord North American Edition" (isbn: 978-1453745090).

The closest thing that makes sense (a start-blocking condition) might be

2514 Crankcase Vent Heater Control Circuit Open (or Crankcase Vent Heater Control Circuit shorted to: (one of) ground, voltage or over temperature)

The integer (0064) is probably bogus, but it'll cost $18.00 to see if it's in www.sprintertekinfo.com. Eric missed at least two of the DTCs documented on www.sprintertekinfo.com.

-Jon

kmessinger

The next question is it coverd by emmisions warranty??? maybe...maybe not:idunno:
Always the big question. I am in California so have a MB extended warrenty on smog/emision stuff.
Also a Good Sam extended warranty so maybe, just maybe . . .

kmessinger

Oh. I forgot. I also had one of my keys go thru the washer and (what the heck is that banging around in the dryer) part of the drying cycle.

It works fine. Battery test light comes on. Starts the bus, locks it, etc.

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
Keith, I'm in the South Bay and I have a code scanner that reads/clears MB codes and performs tests. It works well on my NCV3. Let me know if you want to meet and I can scan your Sprinter.

showkey

I can't find anything close to that description in the diesel documentation posted here:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7614

I also can't find any matching description in he Complete Sprinter Fault Guide Volume 2: 2007-2010 by Eric J Ord North American Edition" (isbn: 978-1453745090).

The closest thing that makes sense (a start-blocking condition) might be

2514 Crankcase Vent Heater Control Circuit Open (or Crankcase Vent Heater Control Circuit shorted to: (one of) ground, voltage or over temperature)

The integer (0064) is probably bogus, but it'll cost $18.00 to see if it's in www.sprintertekinfo.com. Eric missed at least two of the DTCs documented on www.sprintertekinfo.com.

-Jon

Here we go again.......it is amazing MB can get away with not complying with OB2. THe whole idea behind OB2 was everyone codes were suppose to be the same and readable with an OB2 scanner.

Manufactures were allowed to have some of their own specific codes but the major common componets were meant to covered. Certainly an O2 sensor is nothing special. If its got an O2sensor it's got a O2 heater circuit.

So I guess the real question is the scan gauge not reading correctly because of it's OB2 software or is MB playing tricks with their data stream and not being OB2 compliant????? or a combo.

Would be interesting to get a plain jane OB2 scan of this.

Last edited:

MellowYellow

Well then that code disc is no good. Diesels don't have heated oxygen sensors.

More then likely an incorrect code number given by an aftermarket scanner. I found working at a GM dealer that when the customers would use an aftermarket scanner to pull their own codes, they rarely matched what was actually in the ECM

piper1

Resident Oil Nerd.
Well then that code disc is no good. Diesels don't have heated oxygen sensors.
Actually Mellow.....a diesel Sprinter does have O2 sensors. MB has a very different approach to emission system design than GM.....they use the O2 sensor to see if all the other stuff is doing it's job and will adjust things to get what is stored in the ECM as the "correct" O2 content in the exhaust. It is why a lot of the usual diesel emission defeats don't work on a Sprinter. I was gobsmacked when crawling under my Sprinter for the first time that I saw it there.

Diesels don't have heated oxygen sensors.
That blanket statement isn't true about the T1N MB design O2 sensors. I can't say for certain whether they use a similar design on the NCV3's, but I suspect they would not change their basic engineering.

105OxygenSensor.jpg

106OxygenSensorNotes.jpg

107OxygenSensor.jpg

108OxygenSensor.jpg

109OxygenSensor.jpg

Last edited:

MellowYellow

Hmm.. live and learn. All diesels with DPF have o2 sensors, and It seems the T1N's as well.

It was the heated part that threw me off. GM, Cat, Cummins all just call them o2 sensors. I've only seen them heated o2 sensors in a gas engine application.

kmessinger

dukepilot and I met today to look at my codes. Actually I just had one code (Scangauge P0064) but two warning lights, the glow plug and the check engine.

I get there and we have coffee and go out to my Sprinter . . . (dramatic pause, drum roll, rim shot) . . . there are no warning lights. They have been on since 8/20 except of course the glow plug light would go out after a few minutes. And yet sometime between yesterday and the parking lot at Starbucks they cleared.

The only stored code Peter showed was a 2134-04 Cylinder Tube Glow Plug Open Circuit. Nothing about the O2 sensor. Nada. He cleared the code that was in the history. I took the bus around the block and nothing lit up. Home now and everything is copacetic.

Go figure. :thinking:

dukepilot

Custom Spooling USA
Well, I guess we can keep our fingers crossed! It was nice meeting you and your Sprinter today:cheers:

dukepilot and I met today to look at my codes. Actually I just had one code (Scangauge P0064) but two warning lights, the glow plug and the check engine.

I get there and we have coffee and go out to my Sprinter . . . (dramatic pause, drum roll, rim shot) . . . there are no warning lights. They have been on since 8/20 except of course the glow plug light would go out after a few minutes. And yet sometime between yesterday and the parking lot at Starbucks they cleared.

The only stored code Peter showed was a 2134-04 Cylinder Tube Glow Plug Open Circuit. Nothing about the O2 sensor. Nada. He cleared the code that was in the history. I took the bus around the block and nothing lit up. Home now and everything is copacetic.

Go figure. :thinking:

Top Bottom