EDC light on in 2005 316cdi

BENDA

Hi everyone, I changed my fuel filter, drove around 85kms all fine,next day drove another 45kms again all fine, later same day drove to local servo and EDC light came on and stayed on but vehicle drives fine, any suggestions apreciated
regards ben

Eric Experience

Ben.
Did you use the correct hose clamps? Are the little claws that hold the clear fuel line gripping the top of the filter. Did you use a new O ring on the water drain? Eric.

BENDA

Hi Eric,thanks for your reply, I used stainless jubilee type hose clips,after the filter change I ran the motor for about 10 minutes until there were no more air bubbles showing in the line running to the low pressure pump . The motor starts fine and runs well with no air bubbles showing in fuel lines
ben

BENDA

Eric, in addition to above, where is the sensor for the EDC? and are there more than one? this might give me an idea where the problem lies,many thanks,ben

On the same subject but where can I buy the Clic R hose clamps, not the easiest things to track down. I've had to resort to the Jubilee S/S ones also.

Rob.

BENDA

Eric,
Just reread your post.checked the claws(sliding clip?)-fine. a new water drain fitting came with the filter. I rang the mechanic at the local merc dealer(60kms away) this morning he said the EDC light sometimes stays on until reset by computer,and it is safe to drive as the ecu wil go to limp mode if there is a real problem
regards ben

Oldfartt

Hi Benda,
The clamps you have used allow air to be sucked into the fuel line as the engine is turned off. The fuel pump stops immediately but the high pressure pump can still be rotating, creating the conditions for a higher vacuum than during normal running.
Please use the correct clips, even if you have to purchase them from the dealer. They are not expensive. They can be reused successfully.
I have purchased the clips from our local irrigation supplies shop. They stock various sizes.

Cheers

Ross

Eric Experience

Ben
It is important to use the correct hose clips, The rubber extrudes out of the joint when hot. It is best to do the work yourself, getting others to work on your van causes cut corners. If you had done it yourself the click clips would not have been lost. There is no particular sensor for the EDC light. The ECU monitors the pressure in the rail and reports if it is not in the normal range. IF you can not master the clips you can bind the hose with thin steel wire, you do not require a lot of pressure just an even pressure. Eric

Top Bottom