oil change interval: mercedes vs my garage

riabreed011

several times i've searched the T1N threads for opinions on this and what i end up with each time is a discussion of what oil to use, not how often to change it, so i am turning to you my roadtrek peers for some help with this.

the manual clearly says change every 10,000 miles. my garage (25 years in service, owner in my friendship community, awards up the wazoo for the best service in SF, years of working on mercedes diesel passenger cars and now doing a couple of small fleets of sprinters and a handful of roadtreks) stubbornly insists that 5k is the right interval for diesel oil changes. says the proper interval is even more crucial in diesels than gas engines.

:idunno:

what say you? what do you?

thanks for any help with this ought-to-be obvious question.

Ria

PS: Have had our 2007 agile for a year now, almost 15,000 miles, loving loving LOVING it!!

cahaak

10K is fine, you can even push past that with a synthetic. I go around 12K, have to make up about 3/4 qt in that time. In my gasser (2001 Honda Odyssey) I go about 11K. Modern oil stabilization packages along with the synthetic molecules do an excellent job at long term lubrication.

Chris

sailquik

I agree with Chris completely.
Your "garage" is pretty much ripping you off.
Changing your oil at half the manufactuer's recommended/mandated interval
suggests either they want your money, or they are a decade or more behind
the current motor oil technology state of the art in their knowledge.
I certainly hope they are using the correct MB BEVO approved synthetic oil
as this will help you get better mileage and longer service from your Sprinter.
If your Sprinter has the Assyst system that monitors oil level and quality,
you do not need to change the oil every 10K miles (as recommended/mandated
in your owners manual for Sprinters without Assyst).
With Assyst, you change the oil when the Assyst wrench shows up on your
dashboard display.
Hope this helps,
Roger

icarus

If you are worried do a used oil analysis after 5k, then if it is good, do it again at 7500, then at 10 and see how it plays out. My guess is that you will be surprised how good the oil is after 10k.

Icarus

Trekker

Trekker
I agree with Chris and Roger completely.

IMHO....

The MB oil change interval recommendation was not chosen on a whim. Scores of engineers and scientists at both MB and several of the major oil companies used their combined knowledge of the engine and the oil products to determine the proper interval. Clearly, they know more about their own products than any individual could ever hope to. MB has both their reputation and hundreds of millions of dollars on the line when they recommend the 10,000 mile limit. If anything, they are erring on the conservative side. I personally find it hard to believe that the engineers and scientists were off on their judgment by 100%, and that damage will be done by not changing at 5,000 miles.:professor:

Although your friend in SF might be a nice person and well respected, it sounds like he's also a shrewd businessman. Doubling his potential revenue is a nice move!

Of course, if you're part of the 1% and can afford the extra $250+, by all means change it more often. And I'm curious, what is the basis of the nice round number 5,000? Previous recommendation of US auto makers was 3,000 back in the day. If 5,000 is good, wouldn't 3,000 be even better for the engine???:smirk:

BTW, I recall seeing a post on this forum some time back by an actual MB engineer from Germany who said that the oil change interval MB recommends in Europe is 24,000 miles. FWIW

:2cents:

Oh, to answer your original question of "what do you do?", I change mine at 10K miles.

NBB

Many forum members here have signed up for oil analysis and posted their results. Try the search bar. Nobody has yet questioned the 10k interval, a few have found going much beyond 12k-15k might not be a good idea - my recollection.

david_42

The local Dodge stealership insisted on 3000 mile changes! Based on "we don't pay any attention to that computer". I've run anywhere from 14,000 to 16,500 miles on Mobil 1. Will be interesting to see how the Amsoil does. Bloody expensive stuff!

olee123

Hi guys,

After reading all your helpful comments, what about the oil change was done 2 1/2 years ago but only has 5,000 miles on the oil as it was parked. Does the oil go bad after a long period time sitting? Do I need to change the oil when parked for a long time regardless how many miles it has on? Please comment.

icarus

I would probably change it. A few dollars worth of insurance,

The oil itself doesn't go bad, but it absorbs moisture and if it never gets run, and seldom gets hot, "boiling" the water out of the oil doesn't happen.

Icarus

olee123

Hi Icarus,

Thank you very much for the advice.
My Dodge dealer is charging $179 plus applicable taxes. Is this a good price?

Thanks again.

harrysalit

2019 Wonder FTB
Autoworld Dodge in Petaluma, CA said it would be about $600 to do a 20,000 mile service. I declined.
I am due for it in about 1300 miles, any suggestions for a good Sprinter mechanic in Pasadena/Glendale, CA area? Or LA area?
Harry

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I maintain mine according to the ASSYST intervals, it works out around twenty one to twenty three thousand miles a time. The first one reached over 450,000 (and was sold running well), the second one got to 700,000.

I don't lose sleep or fret about oil quality at five thousand - life's too short good!

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
olee123 said:
it depends... WHAT are they going to do for that price?

(a) only change oil and filter? (if so, "no"... you could bring oil and filter (about $100 total) to a WalMart and they'll do the work for less than $20)((quality of labor at your local WalMart may vary))
(b) perform a full "Service A"? (pardon: "Oil Service Plus", vaguely 10,000 mile intervals) (page 10 in your Maintenance manual) ... includes Fuel Filter change, Tire rotation, fill the DEF, check brake pad thickness, reset Maintenance Display
If that's what they're offering, then "Yes, it's a good deal"

--dick (above numbers are for an NCV3 (2007-now) Sprinter)
p.s. something i was surprised to learn: for an NCV3, if you change the oil early and have the ASSYST system, you are directed to NOT reset the maintenance computer.

Last edited:

uglied

uglied
You may not have noticed but Dodge with the Cummings engine has gone to 15,000 mile oil changes for 2013 Use the right oil and you can get long mileage between changes.
Many old time garage people have not kept up on the new technology. I can remember in the 1950s oil changes every 1000 miles. Was changing oil every Saturday for some time.

azpicker

Are you getting ripped off at $179 for an oil change?

You decide after checking out the costs.

NAPA, O'Reilly, Pep Boys, Walmart sell Mercedes spec oil MB 228.5 or MB 228.3 full synthetic which is the best that money can buy for your vehicle. Mobil 1 or Rotella T-6 and a bunch of others have the spec.

By the quart abt $8.25 X 10 = $82.50
By the gallon abt $6.25/qt X 10 = $62.50

Go on ebay for your filter MANN p/n HU 718/5x which is the fleece filter which is required for synthetic oil but works for either syn or non-syn. Best recollection: abt $40-41 for 4 and that was shipping paid by seller. This p/n fits my 2003 and 2005 Sprinter. Comparable prices will be found for other year models.

Sooooo.... $82.50 + $10.50 = $93.50 for parts. ...or $10 less if you buy by the gallon.

After doing oil changes on all my own vehicles; cars, trucks and vans, (probably 35 different vehicles since 1953), it is my never to be humble opinion, changing oil on my 2003 and 2005 Sprinter vans is by far the easiest and cleanest because the filter is on top and self-drains back into the engine so you don't get oil on you either removing or disposing of the filter.

Now, if your hand doesn't fit around a wrench, or for personal reasons you'd rather not change your own oil, get on the phone and call 5 or 6 independent places that change oil and get bids for changing oil with you supplying the parts. My guess is you will be able to complete the job for well under $100 with someone else doing all the work and you buying oil by the 4 or 5 quart jug.

Cheers:clhttps://sprinter-source.com/forums/images/smilies/cheers.gifapping:

sailquik

Harry,
$600 for the full 20k "B" service is a pretty good price.
Think your local garage is going to have the correct oil, the correct filter, the correct fuel filter, the correct air filter, and all the
correct tools to change these?
What they won't have is the MB SDS diagnostic computer to do any upgrades, flashes, recall work, and to fix their goofs if the
oil change doesn't go according to plan.
Tire rotation is very important as well.
Judging by the DIY guidance for NCV3 fuel filters, and the amount of things that need to come off to change the fuel filter,
sensors unplugged....things like that... It's worth whatever it costs, to me, as if they goof it up, they get to fix it, not tell me that
they cannot fix it and that I need to have it towed to an authorized Mercedes Benz Dealer's shop.
It's your warranty, not mine. I just paid the $600 and felt I got a pretty good deal for all the work that was done for a full "B"
service!
Roger

Last edited:

SullyVan

2005 T1N Conversion
Hi Icarus,

Thank you very much for the advice.

Thanks again.
The Mobil 1 synthetic is super cheap at Walmart right now. learn to change it yourself and it costs about $60 right now.

OK, Mobil 1 at Walmart, and what recommendations on what weight for a 2006 located in Florida. 20,000 miles on Roadtrek. thanks, Richard

sailquik

jasper2222,
There is only one full synthetic Mobil 1 multi viscosity oil that is best for your 2006 Sprinter (5 cylinder OM-647 engine.)
Living in Florida does not matter!
It may not be among the multitude of choices on the shelves at your local Wal Mart.
Mobil 1 European Formula 0W-40 is pretty much the acknowledged best oil for your Sprinter.
It probably does not come in 5-6 quart big bottles. It's in small silver plastic bottles and clearly states
that it is European Car Formula and carries the MB BEVO Approval 229.5 on the back label.
Roger

cahaak

For a T1N (2006 and earlier) almost all Walmarts carry the Mobil 1 0W40 european car formula in 5 qt jugs. Last I looked it was $22.47 a jug. For my 2006, I get all my filters online at dieselfiltersonline.com. These are all Hengst filters. At that price oil it is about $55 for an oil and filter change, fuel filter another $14 and air about the same. More complicated on the NVC3 machines, but still doable if you are handly. I personally like DIY because it actually saves me time just doing it in my driveway and I know it is done right, but everyone is built different.

Chris

Top Bottom