ABS and Wheel Traction Light on in a 2002 Freightliner 2500

Jski123

So I bought this 02 Freightliner Sprinter a few weeks back and have been slowly fixing this thing up from a nasty work van into my full time living situation. Since I purchased it, the ABS light and Wheel traction light have been stuck on. Also, the cruise control and ASR button does not work which I am confident is due to this issue. The brake lights are all working properly and the car drives normal. I was reading this thread (https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46194&highlight=abs+light) and they talked about a possible sensor failure. Does anyone have experience with fixing this problem themselves? Keep in mind I am not a great mechanic by any means but I would be interested to see what kind of tools, effort, and money is required to get this done. Thanks!

sailquik

Jski123,
First. the basics:
Are all of the tires the same size and inflated to the correct pressures (on the "B" pillar and on the side of the driver's seat box?
Has anyone replaced the brake rotors and pads with non-OEM parts?
Have you tried the quick and simple brake light switch adjustment?
Cover the basics first, then go looking for deeper more serious issues.
Roger

Jski123

Thanks I will double check the tires. As for brakes, I'll have to contact the previous owner to see about who did them. Is this brake switch adjustment a possibility even if the brake lights are working perfectly already?

sailquik

Jski,
I'd say yes, the brake light switch could be just enough out of adjustment that the brake light switch works, but the ASR/ABS/CC features are locked out.
It's a very simple adjustment, just extend the plastic linear ratchet a bit and then apply the brakes and the ratchet will adjust itself to the correct length
to operate the brake light switch correctly.
Here's a link:
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6379&highlight=brake+light+switch+adjustment
Are you sure the brake light switch is working correctly?
Could the brake lights be on all the time (rather than only when the brake pedal is depressed)?
Hope this helps,
Roger

Jski123

I discovered that all the tires are the same size however now I am a bit confused as to whether they are the proper tire or not. They have a max PSI of 44 but on the side of the driver's seat, the van has listed that the front should be 51 PSI and rear 65 PSI. When I look in the owner's manual it lists that the front and rear should be around 33-35 for an unloaded vehicle. The tires definitely look low on pressure to the naked eye, with a lot of bulging near the ground. I need to figure out which pressure is correct.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I discovered that all the tires are the same size however now I am a bit confused as to whether they are the proper tire or not. They have a max PSI of 44 but on the side of the driver's seat, the van has listed that the front should be 51 PSI and rear 65 PSI. When I look in the owner's manual it lists that the front and rear should be around 33-35 for an unloaded vehicle. The tires definitely look low on pressure to the naked eye, with a lot of bulging near the ground. I need to figure out which pressure is correct.
A 44 PSI tire "sounds " like a P passenger or LT C-load tire, that is not right if you will be using it loaded. E or D 110/112 tires are usually on Sprinter , label found on my seat cover says 3.5Bar/ 51PSI

What size and spec tires do you have, and what will your van be filled with weight-wise?

Last edited:

srmpf

do you have access to a code reader that can read sprinter specific codes? that might save you some time with the try and error.

had both lights on on my 06 3500 and it turned out to be the ABS pump. Error Code 1401. Cheap fix if you are not afraid to overhaul the ABS pump motor.

thomas

Jski123

Thanks for the replies. The tires are 225 70/R15 and they are most likely passenger rated tires. I know they are not C rated. I am living in my van full time so the only load it has is wood used for the bed and cabinets along with my climbing/other outdoors gear. I would guess all that weighs 500-750 lbs. There is a local mechanic who claims he has the Mercedes scanner. He saw the engine codes and fixed the problem last week (injector leak) but wasn't able to pull up the ABS codes. Also, he said he got locked out and wasn't able to get rid of the check engine light so I am confused as to whether he has exactly the right scanner or not. He said I would have to go to a dealer to get the other codes looked at. I'm a few hours away from the nearest big city but it sounds like I will have to do the drive to find something with the right scanner.

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
This is the first thing I would do:

Check all the tone ring sensors at each wheel, then check each sensor to ensure they are close to the tone ring but not touching it. One of my tone rings had been partially pulled out and needed to be pushed back in after the shop had replaced a ball joint. To make sure you don't push the sensor in too far, put a business card between it and the tone ring as you gently tap it back into place.

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
Thanks for the replies. The tires are 225 70/R15 and they are most likely passenger rated tires. I know they are not C rated. I am living in my van full time so the only load it has is wood used for the bed and cabinets along with my climbing/other outdoors gear. I would guess all that weighs 500-750 lbs. There is a local mechanic who claims he has the Mercedes scanner. He saw the engine codes and fixed the problem last week (injector leak) but wasn't able to pull up the ABS codes. Also, he said he got locked out and wasn't able to get rid of the check engine light so I am confused as to whether he has exactly the right scanner or not. He said I would have to go to a dealer to get the other codes looked at. I'm a few hours away from the nearest big city but it sounds like I will have to do the drive to find something with the right scanner.

Your mechanic has the wrong code reader. If you're looking for one that is relatively inexpensive and will read and clear codes for Sprinters, VW, MB, etc. I suggest getting an Autel Maxidiag Elite MD802. My experience with it has been entirely positive and, to boot, the price has gone down a good bit since I bought mine a couple years back. There is a thread here on the forum that discusses this and other scan tools and the MD802 gets consistently good feedback.

... To make sure you don't push the sensor in too far, put a business card between it and the tone ring as you gently tap it back into place.
If the sensor moves easily the adjustment procedure per the manual is to push the sensor in until it just contacts the tone ring. From there any irregularities in the tone ring spacing will bump the sensor out to the correct position.

Your business card or approx. 12 - 15 thousandths spacing is a good check for sensors which have seized in place as my 2004 sensors have.

vic

photogravity

Former Sprinter Wannabe
^^ Actually, the business card trick was one that was shared with me by Dr. A, so he deserves the credit for that tip. IIRC, he suggested using the business card so as to ensure the tip of the sensor doesn't get damaged. I was just passing it forward. :)

Top Bottom