Looking to Buy a "Dog Show" Sprinter

Hello,

I am new to this forum and do no own an RV or cargo van yet. After years of hauling large show dogs and their paraphernalia (crates, food, exercise pens, canopies, etc.) to dog shows and lure coursing trials we are going to try something more suited to the task than an SUV or mini van.

I think the Sprinter with the 2.7L engine will meet the needs but do not understand the difference between a Sprinter cargo van and a Sprinter RV. We do not intend to use the Sprinter as a typical RV (i.e. sleep in it and camp in it) but as a larger and more convenient way to take our dogs, their stuff and our stuff back and forth. We plan to stay in motels and hotels over night but understand that we still would need "hook ups" to service the Sprinter.

Where should we look to buy a new Sprinter with a customer conversion to meet our needs? What pitfalls do you see in this approach.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jay

david_42

A cargo van is basically an empty box. Sprinter-based RVs come in to forms: Class B, which start with a cargo van and Class C which start with the Cab Chassis. For your needs, you should start with a cargo van and add the items you need for the dogs. A van conversion company like Sportsmobile might be the best approach. They can do various levels of conversion. For show dogs, you would probably want A/C and a generator, a small tub for cleaning them plus water tanks and waste tanks. Secure kennels or spaces for portable kennels are also worth considering. You would not need the beds, kitchen and as many cabinets as a typical Class B RV would have.

By the way, the 2.7L engine is no longer available in a new Sprinter. It has been replaced with a 3.0L V6 Diesel.

Thanks for your advice. I think a Sprinter Cargo Van Long Body (24') with a high roof would be a good place to start understanding our options.

Jay

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Sit!
Stay!

Go here: http://www.dogshowvans.com/
woof.jpg

(things to think about: add a -second- air conditioner, or some "emergency" system to handle things if the primary AC dies on a hot day.)

have fun
--dick
(not a customer, i was just aware of the company due to their long membership in the Yahoo Sprintervan group)

blessedmomof8

I saw a dog show conversion Sprinter on Auto Trader. Here's the link Maybe it'll give you some good ideas about what you might want...or you may buy it. Who knows? Just thought I'd put that out for you.

My Sprinter was actually used for dog shows before we bought ours...but it was just a 10 passenger 158". It has lots of extra storage space behind the seats. A doctor used it for 5 years, turned it in for a trade in and just purchased a new 2010 Sprinter. I guess he liked it since he went out and bought another one! We're still getting little dog hairs out of the seats but it cleaned up really nicely!

amahte

I am buying a Sprinter as well to do a conversion for my dog show life! Many handlers use them and I have seen some really cool conversions. If you are at the shows, talk to the handlers and ask to check out thier sprinter--I have never had one refuse. Plus they give great tips of what they would do differently if they were to do it again and what features they like best.

I am getting extra tall and extra long cargo van, that way I can still stack 500's and with the cargo van I can set up the conversion the way I want.
I will also add a closet, bed, counters, shelves, fridge, microwave and TV, roof air/heat, generator and awning. I know exactly what I want and will do the conversion little by little. There will still be lots of room for crates!!

Good luck!!

Plum-Perfect

I recently purchased a 2008 gas powered Sprinter, it was 'new', only 59 miles but actually 2 years old but has 3 year factory warranty. I am working with Sportsmobile in Fresno, CA to convert. I am now looking at DC Air Conditioner for keeping the dogs cool at shows or when travelling to places like Reno, NV. Onan has an Energy Command that automatically starts the generator to keep the batteries charged all the time.

You need to travel with it and decide what plan you want. I went on a trip and completely changed my original plan. I travel with 5 - 7 dogs that ride in 400/500 crates. I have a soft crated for each dog, X-pens, etc.

Good Luck,

Suzanne

KMDE

Animal Transportation
I am also in Wildwood, MO. We use. Our sprinter for animal transportation.
We started with a 144" cargo 2500 high roof.
Truck bed liner and small wall finishings, roof mounted ac with rear gen. Fridge and microwave for long trips.

AVService

Hi and Welcome.
I am in Brentwood and have 2 giant Newfies,they don't think they can get in the Sprinter and of course they barely even have to try?
Goofy but Lovable.

I just wanted to see if you realize that the handler that was found guilty of cooking the showdogs here drove one of these.
Just a thought....a bad one but real.
Clearly never leave dogs inside a van in STL in any heat,what a waste.

Ed

richelieu

Some advice based on about 30 years of dog show travel etc. I have had 1 chevy and 2 Ford conversion vans. Who the manufacturer is is critical to your satisfaction. My first Chevy was a disaster. Paint peeled off. Front left spindle broke at 2500 miles!!! My first Ford van was a gem. Unfortunately, it eventually had 160k miles and I made the mistake of getting the second Ford van from a conversion outfit in Portland Oregon. they did a horrible job of sealing the fiberglass roof. It leaks ..right down onto your lap. I have to reseal the gutter with silicone sealant every year. I am now looking at a sprinter because the risk of a bad fiberglass top is eliminated. Here are some keys I have learned over time for dog show vans/

1)ventilation. I have a well known brand name roof vent that is thermostatically controlled. If you live in Western Washington or Oregon, you do not need airconditioning. If the van is well insulated and has this type of exhaust fan, it is sufficient for all but the worst conditions.
2)open floor plan. No benches etc. This is ok for smaller breeds. You can have shelves built below the crates for storage of ex pens etc. great for that size breed..like shelties. We have Belgians and I do not want their crates elevated off the floor. Too much swaying. With the crates on the floor, our dogs can jump right in. We stack stuff on top of crates and just strap it down.
3)floor hooks. needed for securing crates to the floor for protection in case of a sudden stop or crash
4)wall hooks for hanging show clothes etc
5)overhead storage front and rear for tarps, jumper cables, bungie cords etc etc
6)overhead lighting. Our unit has an auxiliary batter
7)chassis..3/4 ton minimum. 1/2 ton is too squishy.
8) center of gravity/ sway potential in the wind. this is a key concern with the single rear wheel design of the 2500 sprinters. the 3500s have duals and are reportedly much more stable.
9) cost. You can get into a simple Ford or Chevy conversion van for about 30k or less. Diesel sprinter is up in the 45k category.
Richard

thlevy48

I just purchased an '08 170" WB 3500 to convert into a dog show rig. I wanted the 154 hp engine because of better mileage. It seems to be getting about 22 mpg highway which makes me very happy.

My intent is to use the front 8' for living quarters and have the back 6' for dogs. I am thinking about a gaucho/bed, some closets, a refrigerator, microwave and a sink in the front. I will add roof air in the back.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. welcome2.gif

A rear woof air conditioner is a good idea. You probably want to be able to cool the back area when not moving so that may take some fur-ther design.

There's been a few threads about pet show vehicles here. If you paws for a moment to do a search from the blue bar above you can probably claw through the information to sniff out what you need. Good luck. vic

I just purchased an '08 170" WB 3500 to convert into a dog show rig. I wanted the 154 hp engine because of better mileage. It seems to be getting about 22 mpg highway which makes me very happy.

My intent is to use the front 8' for living quarters and have the back 6' for dogs. I am thinking about a gaucho/bed, some closets, a refrigerator, microwave and a sink in the front. I will add roof air in the back.

Any other suggestions?

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Have never understood the presence of the sign "CAUTION SHOW DOGS IN TRANSIT"

Once saw written in the dirt underneath "SO WHAT?" which went some way towards conveying my own view.

Last edited:

Have never understood the presence of the sign "CAUTION SHOW DOGS IN TRANSIT"

Once saw written in the dirt underneath "SO WHAT?" which went some way towards conveying my own view.
x10

The other one is "Baby on Board".

I know that every time I see that on a vehicle I think to myself, "Thanks for that information. Now I know not to slam into your vehicle at high speed with intent to do serious damage because that was my plan up until I read that wonderful sign."

Back to topic. vic

Top Bottom