oil change interval: mercedes vs my garage

... I personally like DIY because it actually saves me time just doing it in my driveway and I know it is done right, but everyone is built different.

Chris
I agree. The Sprinter is one of the cleanest and most straight-forward oil changes I have done with the exception of my old Porsche which also had a cannister type oil filter and only around 3 quart capacity. I drain using the oil pan plug.

The other advantage which I feel applies with older vehicles and a DIY oil change is that it gets you under the vehicle to look around for problems. That often allows you to respond to issues before it becomes something major.

Just make certain that your oil catch container is large enough. 9.5 quarts from the T1N and 13.5 quarts from an NCV3 is what you will be containing and transferring for disposal.

Engine Oil Level - The Sprinter has a high and low oil level sensor and dash indication. It does NOT have an oil pressure monitor or gauge. It is fairly sensitive to over filling at oil change. The T1N takes 9.5 quarts of oil. The NCV3 needs 13.5 quarts. Not a drop more. Do not dump in that extra last 1/2 quart of the 10 or 14 you bought. When I change my oil I personally leave the last 0.5 quart for later.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23409

vic

SullyVan

2005 T1N Conversion
Aqua Puttana;248145 Just make certain that your oil catch container is large enough. 9.5 quarts from the T1N and 13.5 quarts from an NCV3 is what you will be containing and transferring for disposal. vic[/QUOTE said:
Isn't that the truth? I've often been close on the capacity in my catch pan and sat there in sheer terror as I pull that drain pan plug and Niagara falls herself bears down on me. :)

Definitely miscalculated a time or 2 and got sloppy.

peteaeonix

Large RV I used to have had a 10,000 mile oil change interval for a Detroit Diesel Series 60 engine (40 quarts required. That's no typo 40 quarts = 10 gallons.)

The 10,000 mile recommendation for the Sprinter Van makes sense. I'd add, if the vehicle is an RV (that tends to get fewer miles), either 10K miles or 1 year, whichever is first.

Robwid

2014 Winn View
I just purchased a 2014 Sprinter based Winnebago View. The last oil change (with synthetic) was in May of 2016 at 18000 miles and now it has 22,000 miles. Should I simply rely on the ASSYST computer for oil change time? Seems like a lot of time but not so many miles.

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Entirely, IMO, a personal decision, based on the MANY threads on OCI (Oil Change Intervals) on this -- and other-- forums. If it were me, I'd trust the computer for the most part, but that's my opinion; others may differ.

Other factors that could amend that, however, are HOW it was driven: lots of short trips? CHANGE OIL EARLIER. "Normal" highway trips? Follow the computer's advice. Driving habits/history can make a huge difference. An oil change earlier than indicated, however, will only cost some cash, but will certainly not hurt (and may help). Up to you.

Top Bottom