2014 Roadtrek CS Adventurous - after 4500 Miles

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
The Becker GPS, though is a real pain. ... And there is no Altitude feature that I've found yet.
It's there. I can't remember the path off hand, but I think you navigate to the top and select INFORMATION or something similar.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
I use my iPod for music -- my whole collection is on it anyway, and plugging into the Aux input, the iPod is controlled by the radio controls. Works great. In fact I went out and bought a backup iPod Classic last month when I read that Apple has discontinued it.

The Becker GPS, though is a real pain. Nowhere close to a Garmin in features or usability. Try to program a whole route on it with intermediate stops -- naahh. And there is no Altitude feature that I've found yet.
Not trying to hijack ones post here!:thumbup:

I am looking to replace my Eclipe Radio/DVD/CD, etc/TomTom GPS, with a Pioneer AVH-X2600BT that has no GPS since nothing as far as I know has beaten our separate window mounted Garmin. Anyone familiar with this radio or other radios sans GPS?

cheers...

diamonds

2014/2013 CS, ETrek and RS Adventerous owners.... Are any of you experiencing a noise (whining) that appears to be emanating from the floor between the rear duel tires? It gets significantly louder when starting from a stop, accelerating and going up an incline. MB changed the drive shaft, (Sailquik's suggestion) but no change. They also balanced all tires.

When the MB expert sprinter mechanic (RT's local MB dealer) test drove it he told us he could never drive the RV with such a noise, even if it was given to him for free. So we know it is not just us being too sensitive to ..characteristic.. noise. MB service adviser also initially agreed the noise level was significant but later said they can't do anything more. There was mention (another MB service manager) of maybe it being the differential. Does anyone know if MB made any changes to the differential design, and as such they would hesitate to admit having any issues with it?

We need to determine if it is something wrong with just our vehicle. Any suggestions as to what else it could be? Would appreciate hearing from other owners, EVEN if just to say you are NOT experiencing such a noise, so we will have something to go back to MB with; insisting why does ours have the excessive noise and others do not!

obgraham

No whine in mine, Diamonds.

But I had to rebalance one of the front wheels, though they are RT aftermarket, not MB.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
2014/2013 CS, ETrek and RS Adventerous owners.... Are any of you experiencing a noise (whining) that appears to be emanating from the floor between the rear duel tires? It gets significantly louder when starting from a stop, accelerating and going up an incline. MB changed the drive shaft, (Sailquik's suggestion) but no change. They also balanced all tires.

When the MB expert sprinter mechanic (RT's local MB dealer) test drove it he told us he could never drive the RV with such a noise, even if it was given to him for free. So we know it is not just us being too sensitive to ..characteristic.. noise. MB service adviser also initially agreed the noise level was significant but later said they can't do anything more. There was mention (another MB service manager) of maybe it being the differential. Does anyone know if MB made any changes to the differential design, and as such they would hesitate to admit having any issues with it?

We need to determine if it is something wrong with just our vehicle. Any suggestions as to what else it could be? Would appreciate hearing from other owners, EVEN if just to say you are NOT experiencing such a noise, so we will have something to go back to MB with; insisting why does ours have the excessive noise and others do not!
Could it be possible that the whine comes from the configuration of the build underneath; wind channelings; backdraft; roof draft, etc....whistling pipes!!??

cheers...

Lenfagan

Update on milage for my 2014 CS-Adventurous. Just checked as I filled up and the calculated milage was 20.4 MPG. Mostly highway driving.
It is a pain to check air on inboard rear tire with that extension. Any suggestions?

Len Fagan

UKDude

Update on milage for my 2014 CS-Adventurous. Just checked as I filled up and the calculated milage was 20.4 MPG. Mostly highway driving.
It is a pain to check air on inboard rear tire with that extension. Any suggestions?

Len Fagan
That's really good mileage - my mileage is exactly 19.0 over 3500 miles; that is also mostly highway driving but includes a lot of southwest gradients.
I would recommend Borg solid extended valves which are shaped for the duallies. If you Google DL1SPAL you will see them for sale.
Peter

UPDATE ON BATTERIES - So, my CS Adventurous is back at the Johnson RV to get the batteries figured out. After adding the battery monitor, I got some added clarity on what is going on with the charging / discharging of my added batteries. What appears to be happening is the inverter is getting confused on what the overall capacity is of the battery bank. The Northstar 12V batteries have 192 Amp/hours per battery. The OEM AGM batteries are 200 to 220 Amp/hours @ 6V. However, on the same draw across the battery bank, the OEM AGM batteries will go down to less than 11V whereas the Northstar batteries will still be at 11.6V. So, the interver alarm goes off because it is reading against the OEM batteries and not the added Northstar batteries. I will keep you guys updated on what the resulting solution will end up being. My thought that I voiced to the dealer is to just pull the OEM batteries and keep the Northstar batteries. 768 Amp/Hours is plenty for the dry camping that I do. Also, the SETEC battery monitor software will only measure up to 800 Amp/hours anyway. So, that is a win there as well.

So, I have finally convinced the dealer to remove the OEM batteries and just leave the Northstar batteries. I took a trip for 4 days and everything worked perfectly. Here is what I have learned over these 8 months.
1. Do not mix batteries no matter what. The inverter is not "smart" enough on the Roadtreks to equalize the draws from the various power draws.
2. Roadtrek buys their own batteries, so if you want to add batteries, you have to replace all the batteries.
3. There is no good spot to add extra batteries other than the behind the rear sofa. Yes, it sucks and yes you lose a lot of storage. But, like everything else with a class B, the entire experience is a bunch of compromises.
4. The 760AMP/Hours I have with the 4 Northstar batteries is plenty of power.
5. If you use the electric heat, fridge, run the TV and a bunch of lights while being plugged into shore power, there is still a negative power draw which surprised the heck out of me. I showed a negative 1.8A. So, this is another reason why adding extra batteries is a good idea. Now, this could be that the electrical was not so great at the campsite, but the reality is still the same.
6. Adding the SETEC or some external monitor is essential. Not only can I geek out, but it gives me important information that I have been able to relay back to the dealer when there was a charging problem. Based upon my feedback, the dealer found that the engine generator cable was loose.

Overall, this was one heck of a painful learning experience. I hope that it helps everyone else out there that is looking to do something similar.

Hi Mein,

Our RT had same rattling bathroom door problem the day we got it. I know there was an old thread here about mods on how to stop that pesky bathroom door rattles.

Our bi-fold bathroom door is now solid as a rock, no rattles. Here is what I did on ours:

Made the countersunk hole on the latch a little bit deeper.

Tapered the end of screw-down lock knob to better mate with the conical shaped countersink hole on the latch.

Added felt pads in between the bi-fold doors about every foot or so to provide counter pressure while doors are locked.

Although the above mods alone is sufficient enough to fix our door rattles, I added a sash lock to the bottom part of the door for extra hold as the kids would sometimes push the latched door from inside the bathroom causing the latch to bend a little.

Sash-lock close-up. Easy to locl/unlock with just single flick of the locking lever.
http://s29.postimg.org/adt7y7tav/sash_lock_open.jpg
Can you please let me know where did you get the sash lock from? I think that is exactly what I need for my RT SS.

2011 Agile

TheTortoise

David

On the CS Adventurous.

1. If you replace the batteries for rv unit, say with Lithium Ion, can you leave the starter battery for engine alone.

2. If inside at night and you have a few lights on or just using the computer maybe with one light, can someone tell, that lights are on, from outside the unit with blinds closed. This question goes for Urban Camping

Thanks

doug

gte

2008 RS
David

On the CS Adventurous.

1. If you replace the batteries for rv unit, say with Lithium Ion, can you leave the starter battery for engine alone.

2. If inside at night and you have a few lights on or just using the computer maybe with one light, can someone tell, that lights are on, from outside the unit with blinds closed. This question goes for Urban Camping

Thanks

doug
Doug,
I was not asked in your note but have some thoughts

1. From what I have read mixing battery chemistries is not a good idea. Also, I believe the RT inverter charger will not properly charge lithium batteries
2. Based on my observations you can see light when b oth shades are down and probably vague shadows if the person inside is in just the right position. One has to be carefuldrawing the front window curtain to make certain one cannot see around the curtain from the outside.

For additional warmth in colder weather and sometimes security, I hang a thick poly blanket from the front upper cabinet just behind the front seats, it goes,all,the way to the floor, and also goes over the sliding door. It essentially seals off the driver's compartment from the back of the coach. I love the front windows but they do let in a lot of cold at times.

Doug,
I was not asked in your note but have some thoughts

1. From what I have read mixing battery chemistries is not a good idea. Also, I believe the RT inverter charger will not properly charge lithium batteries
2. Based on my observations you can see light when b oth shades are down and probably vague shadows if the person inside is in just the right position. One has to be carefuldrawing the front window curtain to make certain one cannot see around the curtain from the outside.

For additional warmth in colder weather and sometimes security, I hang a thick poly blanket from the front upper cabinet just behind the front seats, it goes,all,the way to the floor, and also goes over the sliding door. It essentially seals off the driver's compartment from the back of the coach. I love the front windows but they do let in a lot of cold at times.
1. I agree with Doug. Do not mix batteries. Also, the battery that runs the starter is completely isolated from the Roadtrek installed batteries. In the CS, I believe it is located under the drivers seat. Also, I asked about lithium ion. Everyone said that the best in terms of ruggedness was the Northstar AGM batteries. After removing the other AGM batteries, it was like magic. All my previous electrical gremlin issues went away. So, in my case, lesson learned.
2. Doug is correct on this as well. People are going to know that the RV is occupied. The privacy is there, but the stealthiness you are looking for is not.

Davydd

The chassis battery is an AGM under the driver's floor. It is pretty much maintenance free and you don't even have to get to it to charge or jump it as there is a terminal for that under the hood. It is not interconnected with house batteries so you can use any battery of choice. We have 800ah of lithium ion batteries in our Advanced RV.

TheTortoise

Thanks Davydd

I figured that the house batteries were separate system for charge. You confirmed. Thanks everyone else too :)

I noticed on some other forums that I can just put some Velcro around window and have a piece of fabric (thick) made to cover window to give stealth. The picture below uses snaps.

Like this from www.outsidevan.com

Attachments

Last edited:

mowog

Thanks Davydd

I figured that the house batteries were separate system for charge. You confirmed. Thanks everyone else too :)

I noticed on some other forums that I can just put some Velcro around window and have a piece of fabric (thick) made to cover window to give stealth. The picture below uses snaps.

Like this from www.outsidevan.com
Checked out their website- very nice! The one I like just sold for $280,000 (maybe they got a discount). Some nice ideas though.

Bob Skillman
Ellicott City, MD
2011 RS

Checked out their website- very nice! The one I like just sold for $280,000 (maybe they got a discount). Some nice ideas though.

Bob Skillman
Ellicott City, MD
2011 RS
DEAR LORD! That is ridiculous. You could buy a new Roadtrek and a very nice sprinter Class C....and enough left over for a boat and a toy hauler.

jostalli

DEAR LORD! That is ridiculous. You could buy a new Roadtrek and a very nice sprinter Class C....and enough left over for a boat and a toy hauler.
OutsideVan is doing one thing I like: making consumers believe custom cargo vans should cost more than most people's houses. This is good for DIY conversions because it increases their value.

Top Bottom