Crew Van or Passenger Van

CheckMax

Ugh - trying to sort through the lists of options and what's possible.
Clearly from reading the posts here - anything is possible. Time is my constraint.

Primary use is day trips with the occasional 1 or 2 overnight camp out.
Near term - I'd like to have a set-up that carries my better half and our two little girls.

As one person noted in another thread - 3 women pretty much require a porta-potty.
So, at the minimum I'd like to have the following:

- Seating for us up front; two child seats on the bench - either captain chairs or another bench in the back for friends. I guess the extra bench can be removed as needed. Cap chairs not so easily.

- we'd like to have an area we could sit and eat together, I'm thinking side benches and a center, removable table in the back.

- it'd be nice to have a porta potty somewhere I can fit and ideally maybe a shower perhaps of the back to rinse off. We're in Hawaii so many beach days.

Do I go with the crew van and order the window and trim package? Or do I order the passenger van and pull out the extra bench? I'm wondering if there is anything obvious I give up or gain with one or the other?

It seems having rear windows will provide more light and visibility than otherwise. I'm thinking I'll have to find some window treatments to keep the interior cool for long parked periods (and add a roof fan). Has anyone ordered the factory roof fan - H72?

Thanks

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
We travel and occasionally camp in ours. I feel that a table section is a waste of space and unless its going to convert into a bed, it probably won't be used that much. I have a cargo Sprinter because I need the ability to reconfigure things (I believe in keeping as much open space as possible and not cluttering the Sprinter up with things (I occasionally need to haul 18 bales of hay out to my sisters ranch in the back). Fewer windows is also good if you plan to camp in it occasionally.

I have a porta-potti that can be held in place with bungie cords - it travels easily. It gets positioned in one of three places depending on if the fold out bench seat/bed is going to be slept on, if we are taking a long one way drive (1100 miles in one day is common for me), or if I am carrying it in a storage capacity. My wife is handicapped and needs it when we travel. When my daughters were young (and we travelled in a VW camper bus), having one along ment we were able to have great trips without any bathroom problems - most of the time everyone could wait for a rest room stop, but not always.

I like my Cargo van for travelling. However, the interior is a minimal as humanly possible. I drive my Sprinter practically every day, so having storage flexibility is a great thing.

I am wrestling with this same issue. However, concluded that passenger is the way for me. The cost over the cargo is ~$2000.... I think, but you get two more bench seats, rear windows, finished interior trim in the second half... . If you sell the bench seats alone you will just about recoup the extra cost for the passenger. Not that I would do that, but for illustrative purposes, demonstrates the passenger config. is a value play over the cargo.

Passenger Vans can serves as cargo... but cargo vans take $$$$ to convert to passenger.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
My DIY conversion is based on 2013 passenger van. The factory's trim a fit and finish quality would be very difficult to match by DIY or a mom and pop shop. There was a fast track video posted on this forum showing complete conversion in 10 min in a shop in LA, I think. Finishing work took 3 minutes. A local shop wanted $5K for a trim work.

With passenger van you get all windows, I am sure that installing RV windows if desired is easier if there is a cutout in the sheet metal. If you don't like windows you can always cover them.

You can see my final results here https://plus.google.com/photos/1153...s/6030405603891702881?authkey=CKf-kbHy152X9wE and https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21773

George.

Ivessm

2014 Long/Tall BLACK Pass 4Cyl/7sp
CheckMax,

I'm a Passenger vote. I've had 2 Passenger Sprinters, 2005 and now 2014 Long Tall 4cyl/7Spd. I really really really like the new 2014 ALL BLACK Sprinter. The 4cyl/7spd is fantastic. I'm not moving to fast with any conversion but the seats have been in, then out for cargo and travelling, then back in for passengers, then back out, back and forth. The tint on the windows keep anyone on the outside from looking in. You can see a picture of the new Sprinter to the left.

I want to build something that can be set in for sleeping when travelling raised up from the floor and then taken out for local transport. I'm still working on that idea.

I think this is still accurate but you also want to consider that a Passenger Sprinter has a dual leaf spring in the rear and the Cargo Sprinters just have a single leaf spring. That changes the ride quite a bit. Also the Passenger Sprinter definitly does NOT go through the disassembly/reassembly operation at the port. It comes in direct from the factory as a Passenger Sprinter.

Don't forget to order the following:
- Trailer Hitch
- 12v socket in driver seat base.
- 2 extra keys
and more.

Good luck.

stew

boardster

With passenger van you get all windows, I am sure that installing RV windows if desired is easier if there is a cutout in the sheet metal.
George.
RV windows do not fit the factory window cutouts. If someone wants screened awning windows etc. they must get the cargo van and then have the correct cuts put in the sheet metal.
Starting with the passenger van you can only replace the windows w/ regular bonded OEM type windows.

GeorgeRa

RV windows do not fit the factory window cutouts. If someone wants screened awning windows etc. they must get the cargo van and then have the correct cuts put in the sheet metal.
Starting with the passenger van you can only replace the windows w/ regular bonded OEM type windows.
How about these....

Attachments

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD

Sorry that is not true. CR Laurence sells windows that fit right into factory stamped openings. Check out this info:
http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/crlmobinew/details.aspx?p=FW625R

Also Roadtrek, Winnebago and Airstream get Sprinter vans with side window openings, but no glass installed. It is a factory option. They all install CR Laurence windows with screens during their conversions.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter 3500 Long & Tall

K-9 SPRINTER

why do people give advice on something they don't know about ???????
it don't matter cargo, or passenger or crew........ You can swap out the windows

full factory glass and tint. 2 OEM windows were swapped out for awning with screens from CLR

Attachments

Last edited:

zither99

There's a VIP package in Canada which is a trimmed out sprinter inside with just the seats missing. Maybe that would be a good option for u.

boardster

why do people give advice on something they don't know about ???????

I'm guilty of taking Sportsmobile's word on the subject as fact.
I guess I should have accepted their advice as only applicable to THEIR available installation techniques.
Was the rear side window frame that fits the factory cutout a standard item or custom made for a one-off project?

edit: just read the other posts so have the answer.
Wondering why Sportsmobile doesn't know about this?
Or maybe things have changed, it was 9 months ago when they told me that.

Last edited:

K-9 SPRINTER

I'm guilty of taking Sportsmobile's word on the subject as fact.
I guess I should have accepted their advice as only applicable to THEIR available installation techniques.
Was the rear side window frame that fits the factory cutout a standard item or custom made for a one-off project?
Hummm....
that pic is at Sportsmobile (Texas)
I wanted full glass on my sprinter, with the slider and the drivers rear to open. It was Paul from Sportsmobile told me it would be A LOT cheaper for me to order full glass from factory , then swap out the 2 for awning windows
edit: just read the other posts so have the answer.
Wondering why Sportsmobile doesn't know about this?
Or maybe things have changed, it was 9 months ago when they told me that.
sure they know... mine was done 4 years ago
its standard
They just took out the factory Window, put in the CRLs

Last edited:

boardster

It was a person at Sportsmobile Indiana that told me that by telephone in late January '14.
This is good news for me....my Transit was just built Wednesday w/ full windows all around including four flip-outs.
I'm guessing I'll eventually be able to swap one out for a screened awning CRL!

GeorgeRa

Maybe it was true when they were using Atwood/Creation? And the person I talked to never got the memo?
Perhaps it was simply miscommunication, on one or both sides, in your conversation with someone from Sportsmobile but I seriously doubt that right folks from Sportsmobile wouldn’t know about it, this is pretty much the industry standard know how.

The level of authority conveyed in your first reply did not reflect the fact that you info was from a fellow from Sportsmobile from a phone conversation.

George.

boardster

In 2008 Sportsmobile Indiana installed my Atwood/Creation awning windows in my 170" tall.
Prior to that I toured their facility once, and went over everything in detail before purchasing the brand new Sprinter.
They were very clear on two things:
1) They would NOT install any bonded windows, so if I wanted the rear door windows they would have to be factory or dealer OEM.
2) Any factory windows could only be replaced by the equivalent, and not by them.
I was present for the 1/2 day project, and the techs showed me how the cut out size was different than the Factory windows would have been.
The telephone conversations that took place in the early months of this year were with one of the same employees that had helped me manage the '08 conversion, and those same topics were discussed with no changes in the claims.
I did write the original post with an aire of authority, because I thought I had done the research properly.
Obviously I didn't, and I'm glad you were there quickly to stop a reader from taking what I said to be true.
Not sure where the communication breakdown occured in my case, but remember this:
I watched as they cut out the 14 x 14 squares on the roof for my two Fantastic Fans.
I watched a young guy climb on the roof to install.
When they leaked like crazy and I could see daylight around the edges further inspection showed that the tech ran ONE course of butyl tape around the perimeter ignoring the fact that both areas had ridges to deal with, the rear one more so than the front.
The boss and the tech did not communicate clearly, so not unprecedented!
I had to remove and re-install on my own.
Once again thanks for your prompt correction of my erroneous post, love how the digital age quickly correct for wives tales and urban myths!

CheckMax,

I'm a Passenger vote. I've had 2 Passenger Sprinters, 2005 and now 2014 Long Tall 4cyl/7Spd. I really really really like the new 2014 ALL BLACK Sprinter. The 4cyl/7spd is fantastic. I'm not moving to fast with any conversion but the seats have been in, then out for cargo and travelling, then back in for passengers, then back out, back and forth. The tint on the windows keep anyone on the outside from looking in. You can see a picture of the new Sprinter to the left.

I want to build something that can be set in for sleeping when travelling raised up from the floor and then taken out for local transport. I'm still working on that idea.

CheckMax,I think this is still accurate but you also want to consider that a Passenger Sprinter has a dual leaf spring in the rear and the Cargo Sprinters just have a single leaf spring. That changes the ride quite a bit. Also the Passenger Sprinter definitly does NOT go through the disassembly/reassembly operation at the port. It comes in direct from the factory as a Passenger Sprinter.

- Trailer Hitch
- 2 extra keys
and more.

Good luck.

stew
Great infö.... exactly the type of snippets of information I am looking for. I am in the midst of selecting my 2015 Options and must admit, it's a little confusing.

There's a VIP package in Canada which is a trimmed out sprinter inside with just the seats missing. Maybe that would be a good option for u.
It is a available in the U.S. also, called "Mobility Package". I also looked into this, but in the long or "short" run, you are far better off to get the passenger config. If you you really, don't want or need the seats, sell them. You will recoup nearly all the extra charge from a crew to a passenger configuration with the proceeds.

CheckMax

...the seats have been in, then out for cargo and travelling, then back in for passengers, then back out, back and forth. The tint on the windows keep anyone on the outside from looking in. You can see a picture of the new Sprinter to the left.

- Trailer Hitch
- 2 extra keys
and more.

Good luck.

stew
Stew,

Thanks for the input.
How easy are the seats to remove and reinstall? What you describe is pretty much along the lines of what I am foreseeing for now use-wise. We live in warm clime. I wonder though how all those windows affect interior temperature in cold weather. I imagine the passenger van cools more quickly than an insulated van - both would need a heat source in cold weather camping.

I was also thinking about ordering the extra set. Then I would have four sets of keys which I think might be excessive. I have never lost a set of car keys (I've now doomed myself.)

GeorgeRa

…………………………….
I watched as they cut out the 14 x 14 squares on the roof for my two Fantastic Fans.
I watched a young guy climb on the roof to install.
When they leaked like crazy and I could see daylight around the edges further inspection showed that the tech ran ONE course of butyl tape around the perimeter ignoring the fact that both areas had ridges to deal with, the rear one more so than the front.
The boss and the tech did not communicate clearly, so not unprecedented!
I had to remove and re-install on my own.
Once again thanks for your prompt correction of my erroneous post, love how the digital age quickly correct for wives tales and urban myths!
This can leave a lasting opinion on any company. Am sure that the guy climbing on the roof did not take any precautionary steps to not damage the roof.

Thank you for clarifying,

George.

Top Bottom