Does diesel fuel require a fuel stabilizer when storing?

suzieque

I'm planning to store some diesel fuel for a few months (over the winter) in plastic jerry cans. In gas engines, I usually dump in some fuel stabilizer, does the same rule apply to diesel? Any odd issues I should be aware of like storing in a heated vs cold shed?

motobueno

A diesel fuel treatment is a(really) good idea.I would do cool storage as diesel can have a bloom under good growing conditions.I have had some fuel stored for about a year and a half with no problem.Juiced it up good with the Stabil product from Wally mart.

I would not worry about treating diesel being stored over the winter, at least in the quantities you are talking about. I like plastic containers over metal. Metal tends to have more problems with condensation and there by adding water to the fuel. If you do want to treat the fuel, sat-bil has a diesel formula. It's different than the standard gas formula. I would also look into using power service products or something similar.

Boater

Best check local regs on diesel storage, shouldn't be a problem though.

UK regs restrict us greatly in the amount of petrol (gasoline) we can legally carry in a vehicle or store at home, but are much easier on diesel. I am allowed to carry in addition to the vehicle's fuel tank (should I wish), 2 x 5 litre plastic jerry cans and 2 x 20l metal jerry cans (I think for petrol it's 1x 5l plastic or 1 x 10l metal). At home I can store 1000 litres of diesel before it needs to be declared, that would need to be in a metal tank. All containers here have to be approved for storing fuel.

I guess in Canada you winterise your diesel to prevent waxing at low temperatures? If so it might be worth waiting to buy diesel to store until the stations are supplying it winterised, so you have the option of using it during the winter.
Which reminds me, I used my 20l jerry can last month so it will have non-winterised diesel in it - I mainly carry it in the winter for emergency use so I'll need to remember to change it.

Top Bottom