Know your 2.7l Engines

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
North American Sprinters with 2.7L I-5 engines come in two flavors: OM612 (2001-2003) and OM647 (2004-2006). They are distinquishable by their intake manifolds. The top image with the turbo looking intake is attached to OM612s, and the elephant trunk looking intake is attached to OM647s. Most of the differences are related to the EGR valve and various related electronics and sensors downstream of the air filter. Most parts for the block are the same, though the low pressure fuel pump was moved off the 612 head to the tank.

OM612:
612 intake.jpg

OM647
647 Intake.jpg

Last edited:

brandon

tampa fla
In the 612 pic what is #11 mine seems to be blowing out oil. Is this normal? I smell oil burning in the cab B/C of this I was wondering if this is a quick fix or what any help would be much appriciated.

talkinghorse43

In the 612 pic what is #11 mine seems to be blowing out oil. Is this normal? I smell oil burning in the cab B/C of this I was wondering if this is a quick fix or what any help would be much appriciated.
That's the EGR (exhaust gas recycle) valve and it can drip out some of the blowby oil in the charge. The blowby oil is in the charge because the engine breather dumps into the turbo inlet air stream. A new valve will not drip oil, but a 612 engine EGR valve will eventually drip oil. If your emission warranty is still in force, you can get it replaced by the dealer under warranty. An oil drip is grounds. If not still under warranty, you can (as I did) enlarge the weep hole and tap it for 1/8" NPT, add a nipple and a hose to direct the drip to the road. I also used the blue silicone gasket material to seal around the plastic cover on top of the valve and wrapped the nipple I added with a short piece of cloth "wick" to encourage the oil that collects in the bottom cup of the valve operator to follow the outside of the hose to the road.

Thinking more though, I wonder if you're smelling this oil burning in the cab? The oil drip from this would wet the intake side of the engine, not the exhaust side. Suspecting the odor might be from another source, I would remove the plastic cylinder head cover (on top of engine) and check the injector wells to make sure you don't have a leaking injector seal (seal between the injector body and the head). If one of those is leaking, you would see oil or tar-like deposits. If you do discover deposits, quick action to repair is necessary.

BULBASOR

Hey Talking horse,

Do you recomend us to all remove the plasic covers on our endines to check for leaks or will there be an obvious smell to indicate this is needed? I have the elephants trunk engine but I do have a plastic cover on top. Is this somthing we should all check? Is it hard to remove?

Thanks

talkinghorse43

Hey Talking horse,

Do you recomend us to all remove the plasic covers on our endines to check for leaks or will there be an obvious smell to indicate this is needed? I have the elephants trunk engine but I do have a plastic cover on top. Is this somthing we should all check? Is it hard to remove?

Thanks
I remove mine at least at every oil change. It's easy and quick; just 7 or so allen head machine screws. I don't know if such frequent checking is necessary, but the possible consequences are so dire that I have decided to.

brandon

tampa fla
Here Is A Picture Of The Suspected Leakage/ Smell

p.s. any pic would help as I am veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy ssssssssssssllllllllllllllllllloooooooooooowwwwwww

well not that slow but you get the point.

Attachments

Last edited:

tegimr

2003 Pass 140 289000 mile

BULBASOR

Hey, you guys are scaring me. :eek: I looked at BULBASORS elephant trunk and I don't see any dirt or soot or anything. :idunno: I see a plastic thingamabob with a white dot on it named WHALE or somthing like that :thinking: and 'peace sign' with a number by it: A647142 and two upside down pyramids and the number 19. (I find those little 'peace symbols' all over the place on BULBASOR).

There is another number on the other side that is upside down and hard to read but it looks like AR600 then after that is what loos like a round milling spot with a number 1 engraved or molded into it? (I can't tell, it's definatly a number 1, but I can tell if it's raised or stamped). Above, (or below depending on which way is supposed to be UP), is another number - 1.2 (What's it all mean? :hmmm: )

There is also what looks like a "3" with stars or somthing all around it.

BULBASOR has never acted funny of made smoke and everything is very clean under the hood, in fact the area around the elephants trunk is the cleanest part of the motor and still looks like the day I got it. Is there somthing wrong with the thingamabob on the end of the elephant nose I need to worry about?

Do I need to be afraid because BULBASOR was born in 2004? :eek:

I hope this a good place to post my concerns. The photo is of the egr on my '02 currently at 90,000 miles. I had the first egr replaced with a '04 model, at about 29,600 miles. It was still covered under warranty which paid for a two hour tow to the nearest dealer. This made me buy the extended warranty, which I am still under. Its been running well since. I have only noticed slight oil at the egr after recently having a second glow plug replaced. I am including a photo because I have been reading that the '02 egr normally will leak. So, does this look like normal leakage or do I have some trouble going on? I inspected under the injector cover because that is what this great forum suggested. Under the cover, which has a yellow dot on the cover and the block, and it's absolutely clean.

I'd like to know what is going on before I go to the dealer because they use their upper hand and always make me do extra work to make them live up to the extended warranty they sold me.

And thanks to all that share their knowledge in this forum its a great help of confidence in my Sprinter.

Attachments

talkinghorse43

I hope this a good place to post my concerns. The photo is of the egr on my '02 currently at 90,000 miles. I had the first egr replaced with a '04 model, at about 29,600 miles. It was still covered under warranty which paid for a two hour tow to the nearest dealer. This made me buy the extended warranty, which I am still under. Its been running well since. I have only noticed slight oil at the egr after recently having a second glow plug replaced. I am including a photo because I have been reading that the '02 egr normally will leak. So, does this look like normal leakage or do I have some trouble going on? I inspected under the injector cover because that is what this great forum suggested. Under the cover, which has a yellow dot on the cover and the block, and it's absolutely clean.

I'd like to know what is going on before I go to the dealer because they use their upper hand and always make me do extra work to make them live up to the extended warranty they sold me.

And thanks to all that share their knowledge in this forum its a great help of confidence in my Sprinter.
Looks pretty normal to me. I was concerned about mine ('02) early on and the dealer changed it out @ ~30k miles (now 158k miles). Since then, I have installed a 1/8 NPT nipple in the valve's drain hole and attached a hose to direct the drip down to the road. But, it's not 100% effective because oil also follows the shaft of the motor operator and seeps out of the cap on the bottom of the motor - yours doesn't seem to be doing that yet. All in all my mod does work pretty well though. I also remove and clean the valve every 30k miles to remove internal soot deposits. If you're still under the emission warranty, you might be able to get a new valve which would eliminate the drip for a while.

Amazing. The engine has been so clean for so long I thought for sure that was a troublesome sight.
I have not taken it apart yet, and will wait until the warranty is over, so I am not familiar with where the valve's drain hole is. Would you have a picture of the drain pipe you put in?

Also, this is embarrassing but, is that oil filter looking cap directly below all the blowby accumulation
actually the oil filter? I have tried several times to download the '02 service manual so I wouldn't have to ask but have had no luck.

And where is the mounting flange with casting number #AR6000 or #AR6001, that I read about in the EGR recall thread? I have the yellow dot but wanted to check anyway. Is it inside the egr?

talkinghorse43

Amazing. The engine has been so clean for so long I thought for sure that was a troublesome sight.
I have not taken it apart yet, and will wait until the warranty is over, so I am not familiar with where the valve's drain hole is. Would you have a picture of the drain pipe you put in?

Also, this is embarrassing but, is that oil filter looking cap directly below all the blowby accumulation
actually the oil filter? I have tried several times to download the '02 service manual so I wouldn't have to ask but have had no luck.

And where is the mounting flange with casting number #AR6000 or #AR6001, that I read about in the EGR recall thread? I have the yellow dot but wanted to check anyway. Is it inside the egr?
Sorry, don't have a picture, or a way to get one, but you'll see the hole when you clean it.

Yes, that is the cap that is removed to access the oil filter.

As far as I know, there has only been a recall on the '04 valve, not the '02-3s.

rivmin

According to Simon (mean-in-green), it was removed from UK Sprinters...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22749&postcount=8

His engine replacement write-up...

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2915&highlight=egr

Looks like it's missing the EGR as noted in the thread.
Wau - thanks.

I did search a lot regarding the missing EGR, but did not locate that post.
I can then conclude that it's not UK-specific, as we here in Denmark don't get the Sprinters from UK.

Thanks again - now I don't have to be worried for my EGR any more :)

As this thread discusses EGR valve oil leakage quite a bit I figure this info should be added for anyone stumbling upon this in the future. Adapting a pipe thread for the oil drain hose is apparently not necessary. From a recent EGR discussion. Thanks goes to Surlyoldbill.
Mine started visibly leaking around 60k. It got pretty bad under there until I read on this forum that I should remove and clean the EGR. I now do it every time I change the oil. I also discovered that a 3/16x 1/4 vacuum hose adapter fits right into the stock weep hole, allowing me to channel the drip through a 1/4" hose down to the road instead of having it drip and fly all over the engine and intake manifold. Even though there is a LOT of oil leakage, and grunge inside the EGR, I've never entered LHM or had any other problems other than visual. I have 130k now.

The oil is there on purpose, it is supposed to lubricate the parts. I remember reading that as the EGR starts to wear out, the tolerances are greater, allowing more seepage. Many a Chicken Little has said that a dripping EGR is a sign of imminent failure, but mine has gone 70k so far with drips. I will keep my eye out for a low-hour spare, though.

The single post is here:
Re: Time for a new EGR?
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showpost.php?p=111789&postcount=5

As with all single posts the original thread can be accessed using the link in the upper right corner.

I suppose the oil could be collected with an oil sock or small container to avoid dripping all over. Perhaps adding an in-line fuel filter to the hose end to work as a collector? (Not a Sprinter OEM filter... too expensive. :eek:)

On second thought... maybe install your removed and drained fuel filter for that oil collection service? As a warning, this is a suggestion. I haven't tried it. vic

Last edited:

Hey Water Wench, can you send am a picture of EGR so I can see where it is on BULBASOR?

Is this part of the normal feeding, care and cleaning that Claudio the Licenced Sprinter Tech does or should I check for EGR on BULBASOR myself?
Sorry. No can do. The weep hose conversion applies to the NAFTA 2001 - 2003 OM-612 only. I have a 2004 OM-647 engine which has what Doktor A describes as a tulip valve(?) design.

I see you haven't added your vehicle info to your signature. You must be very new to this forum. :tongue:

Water Wench indeed... :smirk:

vic

Last edited:

Top Bottom