Rammschutzleiste (rubber side molding)

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
I finally finished installing the Mercedes "Rammschutzleiste" I bought on my last trip over there...

I found it in the official Mercedes Sprinter accessories catalog.

It's pretty heavy duty and has a metal "spine" to stiffen it up.
The rubber molding is designed to cover the lower channel in the side of the body (the one with all of the poor spot welds in it..)
The molding is backed with self adhesive tape.

A lot of people in the German forum reported problems with the adhesive coming off and I wasn't about to loose a piece of rubber I schleppt halfway around the word...

I resorted to the same solution Mercedes resorted to when the chrome grill strip kept falling off the Dodge and Freighliner hoods...Sikaflex

It's that nasty, nearly impossible to remove black glue many of us have toiled at removing so I knew it would be perfect.

I also had to modify the "Rammschutzleiste" because the US Sprinters have the larger cutout wheelhouse that is then hidden with the plastic trim.

A good 80 tooth carbide blade on my miter saw powerd right through the rubber and metal...

It breaks up the lines of the van and I had tons of smal dings in the area of the lower channel from parking near other cars...

Cheers
George

Attachments

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
I finally finished installing the Mercedes "Rammschutzleiste" I bought on my last trip over there...

I found it in the official Mercedes Sprinter accessories catalog.

It's pretty heavy duty and has a metal "spine" to stiffen it up.
The rubber molding is designed to cover the lower channel in the side of the body (the one with all of the poor spot welds in it..)
The molding is backed with self adhesive tape.

A lot of people in the German forum reported problems with the adhesive coming off and I wasn't about to loose a piece of rubber I schleppt halfway around the word...

I resorted to the same solution Mercedes resorted to when the chrome grill strip kept falling off the Dodge and Freighliner hoods...Sikaflex

It's that nasty, nearly impossible to remove black glue many of us have toiled at removing so I knew it would be perfect.

I also had to modify the "Rammschutzleiste" because the US Sprinters have the larger cutout wheelhouse that is then hidden with the plastic trim.

A good 80 tooth carbide blade on my miter saw powerd right through the rubber and metal...

It breaks up the lines of the van and I had tons of smal dings in the area of the lower channel from parking near other cars...

Cheers
George

Hi George,

Very nice,

How many euro's did the kit cost?

Do you have the MB part number by chance?

I need one for the 4 meter van. I have family there I can maybe get some sent over this side of the pond?

Cheers for any insight

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Tibor,

Part number: Rammschutzleisten Radstand 3550 mm B6 752 0027

The biggest problem is handling the parts, they come in a 2m cardboard tube that weighs about 30 lbs

I'll try to roundup the MB parts catalog...

It always takes me about half an hour to find it on the MB site, it's a well hidden PDF

I recall about 141.18 Euro before tax

Cheers
George

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Hi George,

Thanks for the info.

I have the longer van than yours so would the part # be different?

Also is there only the one color option? Can it be painted?

Cheers again

Tibor

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
Hi George,

Thanks for the info.
I have the longer van than yours so would the part # be different?
Also is there only the one color option? Can it be painted?
Cheers again

Tibor
Tibor,

Here's the part numbers:
Radstand 3000 mm (118" wheelbase) B6 752 0026
Radstand 3550 mm (140" wheelbase) B6 752 0027
Radstand 4025 mm (158" wheelbase) B6 752 0028

The molding has to be modified for all US Sprinter models due to the rear wheel plastic trim...

They come in our favorite color: Sprinter-grey

Can they be painted? Yes:

Cheers
George

Hi George,

The is great information, thanks! I have a 118 so there are no plastic wheel well covers, should be an easy job. Do you think Gorilla Glue would work? I presume there is no chance of sourcing them locally. My local parts guy is pretty good though, wondering if I should give him a mission?

Thanks again,

Bob

The Fish Keeper

AVL_Sprinter

Whitewater Freak
georgete.... Did you remove the lettering off the side and put the 316cdi on yourself?

If so, did you use a heat gun for that?

Thanks.

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
I did remove the side lettering with a plastic tool and lots of goofoff

The lettering on the side is how all other MB commercial vehicles are identified

Last 2 digits is rounded horsepower 16 = 154
First digit(s) gross weight in metric tons rounded 3 = 3t or 3000 kg

Actros Black Edition 18 ton, 610 hp
lkw_merc_iaa2004_08.JPG

lkw_merc_iaa2004_12.jpg

Actros big boy nxt to it's little brother ;-) 41 ton, 500 hp
lkw_mercedes_actros_titan4150_osc01_01.jpg

lkw_mercedes_actros_titan4150_osc01_11.jpg

For some strange reason the Sprinter never got the side lettering.
I felt this was in the spirit of MB and it breaks up the big flat surface area of the sprinter

All I did is remove the plastic tabs from the the grille labeland adheare it with double sided outdoor tape

Cheers
George

Top Bottom