Intake Air Temp Sensor Location

alans09r

2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500
This may seem very benign, but can anyone tell me where to find the Intake Air Temperature Sensor on a 2007 Dodge Sprinter. I bought it 2 years ago from Europarts and have never been able to discover where to install it. There are photos of other engines and models on this Forum but I didn't see a picture for the 2007. Thanks to anyone.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
This may seem very benign, but can anyone tell me where to find the Intake Air Temperature Sensor on a 2007 Dodge Sprinter. I bought it 2 years ago from Europarts and have never been able to discover where to install it. There are photos of other engines and models on this Forum but I didn't see a picture for the 2007. Thanks to anyone.
It's been a while, but I believe it's on the left-hand side of the turbo charger, as you're looking at it (aka right/passenger side of the vehicle), under center engine cover. It's closer to the turbo charger than the air cleaner housing.

If I recall correctly, to expose it you'll have to remove the air cleaner and the center engine cover.

Since few (maybe zero?) members driving a 2007+ Sprinter have reported an Intake Air Temperature Sensor failure, I've not bothered to hunt it down photograph it.

Please take a picture of it and post in NCV3 Database, including the pieces you had to remove to find it.

Thanks

-Jon

PS: this should probably be moved to NCV3 Talk

alans09r

2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500
:thumbup:Thanks:
The reason I bought it was because Europarts suugests it is an item that fails and causes limp mode. Will get some photo when I install it.
Thanks again

Gessippi

Did mine yesterday, it's on the passenger side just above where the intercooler hose plugs into the motor at about 11 o'clock if your on your back, feet pointing out the front.

My sensor had watery goo on it, I removed the hose and there was a bit of oily watery snot sitting at the bottom that needs to be cleaned out. If I had to guess I'd say once the sensor wires are coated in this snot it will show a fail code and just needs cleaned.

alans09r

2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500
Dear Gessippi and Jon:
Thankyou so much for your responses.

When the snow in my driveway drops to less than 4" I'll get under my van and see if I can replace this unit per the information of Gessippi.
Europarts advised this part causes limp mode which is why I bought it a long time ago, "just in case". I know however this condition isn't simply analysed and in fact can come from a variety of sources.

Jon, per you're response, which I truly thank you for; I did take the cover off the left (passenger side of the engine) which included a thick foam rubber membrane (over an hour to re-install) just to see if this illusive part was hidden in there beyond the top cover - but its simply not there.

A great thing might be "Solutions" category separated by Sprinter years because 2007 and up seems to be a different animal across the board.
The main conclusion I have come to however is that "little things" like a sensor that has the ability to cause "major problems" or cripple a vehicle - information which is so important, would cover more practical use of the space on this forum than many of the inane posts I see from time to time.

rpmckee

Mercedes doesn't make this sensor easy to find. I have a 2009 Sprinter and have been looking for about a half an hour and can't find the damn thing. I have the part but cannot find where to put it.

rpmckee

I found it in a 2009, unscrew and move the coolant reservoir out of the way, so you can get your arm in there, and feel around back of the back of the air tube just above where the rubber hose attaches. There is a coolant hose or something in the way that makes it hard to reach.

Took me about 2 hrs to find this damn thing, hope this helps somebody.

I tried to take a pic but I couldn't get a good angle.

ringnalda

OK Guys, I just changed this sensor, it is a 10 minute job (if that) but don't do this from the top, do it from underneath. I didn't even need to use a lift; just lie on the floor on the passenger side and look up, you can see the alternator, and the turbo hose just above it. The sensor is right there, undo the little plug, pinch the sides of the sensor and it pops right out.

Last edited:

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Is this the one (ambient air sensor), or is the "intake air sensor" a different part..?

If it's the same as the ambient air sensor: on our 2015 w/3.0L engine, it's in the lower grille area, on the pass.side of the "step" area. A little nub thing about 1/2" long. (Be careful you don't hit it with a foot when using that step!)

Attachments

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The thing you're pointing at is the "ambient" sensor.
In the T1N models, we had that (behind the license plate) *and* the ambient intake air temperature sensor that was part of the MAF (mass air flow) sensor.
Downstream from the turbo is the IAT ... Intake Air Temperature sensor which measures the heated-by-turbo-compression airstream that's actually entering the intake manifold.

--dick
p.s. here's the 2007 document set, which should apply up thru 2014:
http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007-sprinter-service-information.pdf <-2007 MB service manual
http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007-sprinter-wiring-information.pdf <- MB wiring diagram from above
http://www.diysprinter.co.uk/reference/2007_Wiring-sprinter-2500.pdf <-- 3rd party wiring diagrams

Top Bottom