anyone install sprinter interior?

svaldez45

I recently purchased a sprinter 2004 2500 model from a dealership in san diego, but the interior is empty. I would like to convert it to an rv style sprinter, any ideas as to who can install seats, a kitchen, bedroom, etc in California or new mexico???:

lzcamper

Up here (relative to San Diego) in Agoura Hills, there's an RV builder that has built many Sprinter conversions at a very reasonable price. If you are interested, I'll send you his phone #.

Rick

Pepperalbert

Hi svaldez45;
I just bought my 09 in Austin Tx. and like yours is empty inside. I have insulated with R-19 and the ceiling with closed cell foam board 1inch dia. from Lowes. Next I bought hard board and carpet and paneled the interior. My next project is to make the sleeping areas, I am opened to ideas. Will post photos after I return from San Diego. Did you purchase your van from Rancho Jeep?
Best Albert

rb3232

Hi Rick, Please post the company and number for the rest of us to consider. Thanks, Ross

Up here (relative to San Diego) in Agoura Hills, there's an RV builder that has built many Sprinter conversions at a very reasonable price. If you are interested, I'll send you his phone #.

Rick

gregowski

Hi Rick, Please post the company and number for the rest of us to consider. Thanks, Ross
Rick, I second that, I'd like to see that info too. I've got a state-by-state list of all US companies doing Sprinter RV conversions on my blog at:

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/?page_id=95

I don't know of any in New Mexico, but I know of Sportsmobile West and another:

El Kapitan/California Comfort Vans, Inc.
15040 Goldenwest Circle
Westminster, CA 92683
ph: 714-896-8267
toll-free: 800-439-4826
Info: sales@elkapitan.com
Web site: http://www.elkapitan.com/sprinter_van_conversions.htm

Sportsmobile West Inc
3631 S Bagley Ave Fresno CA 93725
Ph: (559) 233-8267
Fax (559) 486-8267
Info: info@sportsmobile.com
Web site: http://www.sportsmobile.com

Just FYI, you can get this done pretty reasonably, depending on what you want. I designed our conversion (which sleeps 4 in a 144") and had VanWorks in Colorado build it for $14K (with $5K in addition for solar system & batteries, diesel cooktop, DC fridge). I know another climber friend who did her DIY conversion for less than $5K, including all parts.

Greg

Mrdi

I went to El Kapitan a few months ago. They are doing Ford Pop Out campers for a Japanese firm and wouldn't give me the time of day.

gregowski

I went to El Kapitan a few months ago. They are doing Ford Pop Out campers for a Japanese firm and wouldn't give me the time of day.
Do you think thay are actually doing Sprinter conversions, were there any on their lot? They could have just cadged these pics from someone else.

Thanks,

Greg

Mrdi

Do you think thay are actually doing Sprinter conversions, were there any on their lot? They could have just cadged these pics from someone else.

Thanks,

Greg
No Sprinters on the lot. Mass production for the Japanese market and no time for the one-off.
I think they've done Sprinters in the past, but the Japanese order en masse is much more lucrative. They told me they would be busy with that for at least 2 years.

They told me they would be busy with that for at least 2 years.
Not really what you wanted to hear, but I think better than them stringing people along with promises of future delivery schedules they know aren't realistic.

I'm sometimes often a bit dense. It doesn't seem like the margin would be there. They're converting Ford vans to campers here and sending them to Japan? Were they full sized vans or mini vans? Sorry for the hijack. vic

Mrdi

Not really what you wanted to hear, but I think better than them stringing people along with promises of future delivery schedules they know aren't realistic.

I'm sometimes often a bit dense. It doesn't seem like the margin would be there. They're converting Ford vans to campers here and sending them to Japan? Were they full sized vans or mini vans? Sorry for the hijack. vic
They were converting (not mini ) Ford Vans for a Japanese client. They had fiberglass tops and the typical exterior. There were 20 or so in the lot, all looked pretty much the same. They didn't tell me anything more about the end use or destination. Just that they were for a Japanese client. It was apparent to me I was wasting their time. If you rolled in with $60k and asked for a fitment, you may get a different response.
Personally I would want to work with an upfitter who wanted my business.
A one-off in a system set up for production is not lucrative.
There were about 8 Hispanic laborers having a break at a picnic table outside when I arrived .
Things change, give them a call.
Also do some searches, there are other upfitters here in So Cal that are mentioned in the forum.

Last edited:

lzcamper

In an earlier post, I mentioned a camper builder (mostly Sprinters) in Agoura Hills, CA. If you want an excellent quality camper at a good price, give him a call. His name is Kurt and you can contact him at 818 585-1640 (Road Bear International). He has been building campers and other specialty vans for 30 years.

Rick

Top Bottom