Codes, codes, codes, help please

fordfool

2513 Intake Port Spiral Actuator??

2510 Boost PSI Regulator Control??

These codes are the latest, 2513 has occurred before and was reset.

2510 is a new code, or at least the first time that this van produced it.

Any ideas of what the problem(s) is/are?

Rich

sailquik

Hi fordfool,
What are you using to obtain these codes?
DAD Unit...... very good, the codes are pretty valid.
DRB-III........even better, the codes are very valid.
MB Star SDS system...... probably the best, but you need to be a dealer!
Dodge/Freightliner Diagnostics Systems.... nearly as good as the SDS!
Generic code readers.... the codes could be valid, and then again maybe not, but they
may point you in the right direction for bad sensors etc.
Generic code readers are:
Scan Gauge II
Dash DAQ
All the rest......!
Roger

fordfool

Hi fordfool,
What are you using to obtain these codes?
DAD Unit...... very good, the codes are pretty valid.
DRB-III........even better, the codes are very valid.
MB Star SDS system...... probably the best, but you need to be a dealer!
Dodge/Freightliner Diagnostics Systems.... nearly as good as the SDS!
Generic code readers.... the codes could be valid, and then again maybe not, but they
may point you in the right direction for bad sensors etc.
Generic code readers are:
Scan Gauge II
Dash DAQ
All the rest......!
Roger
Roger,

It was read by a Snap-On major unit by the guy that services our vehicles. He and his equipment has done a better job of repairing our Sprinter than the local dealers here. I take it the codes are bogus? Or do you know? I was right there when he got them off the press.
Yes, all the scanners, readers, been through them all on line. I do not own any, nor plan to purchase any in the near future. I am trying to make a living with this Sprinter while working out the bugs. Can/will you help?

Rich

sailquik

Hi Rich,
What year is your Sprinter?
'02-'06 T1N has different codes than the later '07-'11 NCV3?
I'll help if I can.
Eperiencing a major power outage here in So. MD at the moment, so give me
a little time to get the lights back on and I will check my NCV3 book.

According to the Freeman Crosby DTC trouble codes pages, I get something
different for P2510 and P 2513.
Roger
PS:
For T1N '02-'06 I see the following on Freeman's list.
P2510-Boost Pressure Servo Motor Short To Ground
or
P2510 ECM/PCM Power Relay Sensore Circuit Range/Perf

P2513 Event Data Recorder Request Circuit Low

Very different than the Snap-on machine codes your shop is giving you.

sailquik

Hi Dick,
Sorry didn't notice which forum this was on as I clicked on it in the
Sprinterbox up at the top!
Right you are on the different P code meanings and different scanners for
the T1N vs NCV3.
I was hoping we could nudge those who post about DTC P Codes to provide
more clarity on the year model (T1N vs NCV3) and what sort of scanner they
are using so we can provide information that's valid and applicable to their
vehicle when we offer to help.
If I have offended by asking this, I apologize!
Roger

fordfool

Hi Dick,
Sorry didn't notice which forum this was on as I clicked on it in the
Sprinterbox up at the top!
Right you are on the different P code meanings and different scanners for
the T1N vs NCV3.
I was hoping we could nudge those who post about DTC P Codes to provide
more clarity on the year model (T1N vs NCV3) and what sort of scanner they
are using so we can provide information that's valid and applicable to their
vehicle when we offer to help.
If I have offended by asking this, I apologize!
Roger
Roger,

It is a 2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500. I recently pulled the turbo actuator off and sent it off to be rebuilt/repaired. But I will also say that these codes may have come up from being started prior to the glow plug going out?? I had just made a delivery and was leaving, in a hurry, cranked it over and started before the glow plug light was out. As soon as it started it, the exhaust noise was different, a different tone. I shut it off and let it set a few, maybe 5 min. restarted it, continued on my way with everything acting normal with one exception. The ultra gauge read that the were some possible codes. When I got near home I ran by the shop to have Phil scan it and that is when and where and how the codes were discovered.
You haven't hurt my feelings at all. Surely someone knows what these mean or a direction to go, if there is a problem. The van drives fine, seems to have plenty of power, fair mpg, etc.

Thanks for your help,

Rich

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
2513 Intake Port Spiral Actuator??

2510 Boost PSI Regulator Control??

These codes are the latest, 2513 has occurred before and was reset.

2510 is a new code, or at least the first time that this van produced it.

Any ideas of what the problem(s) is/are?

Rich
There is a fairly comprehensive list of DTCs which might coughed up by US/Canadian NCV3 Sprinters

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7614

There's no diagnostic guidance to go with the codes - that's way too much work to put together in my dwindling spare time - just an explanation from the NCV3 (2007) Service Info

If the codes don't match yours, it's because many scan tools simply don't register the right integers; but often the "generic tools" get the description right.

Once the description is match to and a factory code and is written down, you can subscribe to www.techauthority.com's "Tech Authority Online" for guidance about remedial actions to take.

The online web app, "Techauthority Online" is very similar to the dealership computer system, DealerConnect, and (unlike the NCV3 service manuals, Techauthority Online has a search function so you can find info about a specific DTC.

Again, the first thing to do is to make sure you know the code for "Intake Port Spiral Actuator" and then look up what to do on Techauthority Online.

-Jon

PS: there is always a chance that the code reader is really reporting false info and the chance the that description won't match up to anything in the code list. At that point you really do need a factory scan tool like StarMOBILE (2007-2009), WiTECH (2007-2009) or MB SDS (2002-present); or perhaps a known good code reader like the AutoEnginuity product mentioned in another thread.

Last edited:

sailquik

Hi fordfool,
OK, here's what I find on your codes in the Eric Ord's
Complete Sprinter Fault Code Guide
Volume 2:2007-2010.

P2510 Sub Code 1 = Boost Pressure Regulator (Y77/1) Positioner Signal Fault

P2510 Sub Code 2= Boost Pressure Regulator (Y77/1) Positioner Signal Fault

P2513 Sub Code 1= EKAS Inlet Port Shutoff Switchover Valve (Y83) Positioner Signal Fault

P2513 Sub Code 2= EKAS Inlet Port Shutoff Switchover Valve (Y83) Positioner Signal Fault

Do you know if your mechanic's Snap-On Machine has a fault code book specific to NCV3
Sprinters?
Roger

fordfool

Hi fordfool,
OK, here's what I find on your codes in the Eric Ord's
Complete Sprinter Fault Code Guide
Volume 2:2007-2010.

P2510 Sub Code 1 = Boost Pressure Regulator (Y77/1) Positioner Signal Fault

P2510 Sub Code 2= Boost Pressure Regulator (Y77/1) Positioner Signal Fault

P2513 Sub Code 1= EKAS Inlet Port Shutoff Switchover Valve (Y83) Positioner Signal Fault

P2513 Sub Code 2= EKAS Inlet Port Shutoff Switchover Valve (Y83) Positioner Signal Fault

Do you know if your mechanic's Snap-On Machine has a fault code book specific to NCV3
Sprinters?
Roger

Roger,

No I dont know if he has a book of the codes or not. I will ask him tomorrow.

Thanks for the work that you have done.

Rich

fordfool

There is a fairly comprehensive list of DTCs which might coughed up by US/Canadian NCV3 Sprinters

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7614

There's no diagnostic guidance to go with the codes - that's way too much work to put together in my dwindling spare time - just an explanation from the NCV3 (2007) Service Info

If the codes don't match yours, it's because many scan tools simply don't register the right integers; but often the "generic tools" get the description right.

Once the description is match to and a factory code and is written down, you can subscribe to www.techauthority.com's "Tech Authority Online" for guidance about remedial actions to take.

The online web app, "Techauthority Online" is very similar to the dealership computer system, DealerConnect, and (unlike the NCV3 service manuals, Techauthority Online has a search function so you can find info about a specific DTC.

Again, the first thing to do is to make sure you know the code for "Intake Port Spiral Actuator" and then look up what to do on Techauthority Online.

-Jon

PS: there is always a chance that the code reader is really reporting false info and the chance the that description won't match up to anything in the code list. At that point you really do need a factory scan tool like StarMOBILE (2007-2009), WiTECH (2007-2009) or MB SDS (2002-present); or perhaps a known good code reader like the AutoEnginuity product mentioned in another thread.
Thank for your input Jon. I appreciate it also. Every little bit helps.

Rich

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
The 2510 and the 2513, can go hand in hand ..... That being said , What you need to do is remove the suction pipe from the turbo then look straight down , that little black box is the intake shuttoff valve actuator ..... (swirl port actuator, EKAS) now have someone cycle the ignition .... and watch the linkage on the left side intake ( you can bairly see it just under the turbo, as your looking at it to your right) when the key is cycled ( but not started) the actuator should Actuate ( you should see the linkage move) If it does nothing , then unplug the connector and plug it back in, the actuator should try to actuate. If it does nothing , test the circuits to the actuator .... black/w green stripe= ignition on power (12-14 V) brown= ground, the other wire (brown/blue stripe) goes back to the CDI control unit pin 20 big connector. if all is good then you need to check to see if the linkage is binding... if it is not binding then you need an actuator.... Order the linkage clips with the new one. Yes you will have to remove the whole Turbo to do the job correcty. NOTE: careful with the linkage for it is made of plastic , if you break it you will need a new intake manifold. ( linkage is not sold seperatly)
The tie in to the turbo actuator is the Black/ green wire ( circuit 87) and the ground.

Carl

Last edited:

scottw

Hi Carl,

We have a 2008 here with the 2510 (Boost pressure regulator) - Positioner signals fault.
and 2359 (Charge pressure is too high) codes. It had nine codes when we got it. Replaced the swirl valve actuator, resonator and EGR valve and it leaves us with just these two codes setting intermittently. We have smoke and air pressure tested all the intake parts with no leaks found. The manifold and EGR passages were cleaned when apart and the linkages all move smoothly. The boost pressure sensor read good while we are testing it and the van drives great until the code sets and it goes into limp mode.

We disconnected the wiring harness between engine and PCM and wiggle tested it with ohm meter on related wiring and no faults show.

The question I have is: do the boost pressure sensors fail often in an intermittent way or do you see turbo failures?

Any other thoughts?

Last edited:

sprintguy

16+ yrs Master Commercial technician
First check the 2 grounds on the drivers side inner fender ( the upper 1 is for the regulator and other actuators) if there is no wiring problems . Then mostlikely the regulator is no good , which in turn requires turbo replacement ( Unless you know someone who can time a new regulator in). But I have seen a few turbos ma
king noise, and also with these codes, It is pricey but I would replace the whole unit if found faulty.

Tip: check for harness rub-through right were the engine harness goes under the plastic valley cover.

Carl

kmessinger

Roger,

It is a 2007 Dodge Sprinter 2500. I recently pulled the turbo actuator off and sent it off to be rebuilt/repaired. But I will also say that these codes may have come up from being started prior to the glow plug going out?? I had just made a delivery and was leaving, in a hurry, cranked it over and started before the glow plug light was out.

Rich
I have done that several times. Other than feeling "guilty" I noticed no problems but I do live in California and the temps are not severe.

briggie

2007 3.0 diesel
can you tell me where you sent the turbo actuator to get fixxed? when i needed one i had to buy the whole turbo

flavionbmw

The 2510 and the 2513, can go hand in hand ..... That being said , What you need to do is remove the suction pipe from the turbo then look straight down , that little black box is the intake shuttoff valve actuator ..... (swirl port actuator, EKAS) now have someone cycle the ignition .... and watch the linkage on the left side intake ( you can bairly see it just under the turbo, as your looking at it to your right) when the key is cycled ( but not started) the actuator should Actuate ( you should see the linkage move) If it does nothing , then unplug the connector and plug it back in, the actuator should try to actuate. If it does nothing , test the circuits to the actuator .... black/w green stripe= ignition on power (12-14 V) brown= ground, the other wire (brown/blue stripe) goes back to the CDI control unit pin 20 big connector. if all is good then you need to check to see if the linkage is binding... if it is not binding then you need an actuator.... Order the linkage clips with the new one. Yes you will have to remove the whole Turbo to do the job correcty. NOTE: careful with the linkage for it is made of plastic , if you break it you will need a new intake manifold. ( linkage is not sold seperatly)
The tie in to the turbo actuator is the Black/ green wire ( circuit 87) and the ground.

Carl
What if the actuator is moving when i remove the plug but it doesn't move on the ignition cycle ? please help , thank you

Top Bottom