Macerator and battery question

Hi,

I have 2 issues on 2011 Agile. Hope you can share your experiences:

1) Macerator pump (rarely used) has quitted. It generates very low noise now, but no water come out. My Agile still under 4 yr warranty, but RT dealer says that RT only gives 1 yr warranty on Macerator pump. So dealer wants $495 total to replace the pump. Is the pump something easy that I can replace it myself? Is there a written procedures out there? Is there a more reliable pump out there than the one RT has been using?

2) After 3 years (even I always make sure batteries are full charged all the time) I think I need to have both 6V batteries replaced. What is brand name that was original used by RT? Where I can buy it from how much it cost? Do I have to go to RT dealer to get it and installed?

Thanks,
2011 Agile

bikerbill44

This is a good message board to get answers but for quick and more answers specific to Roadtreks have you considered the Roadtreking Facebook page?

RT.SS

Hi,
If your macerator appears to be running but not discharging waste, my best guess is the impeller is worn out (pretty common). I do have an old blog post on how to replace the impeller or the macerator pump itself, lots of pictures with step by step instructions... see this link: http://roadtreklife.blogspot.com/2013/12/replacing-macerator-impeller.html

My 2011 Agile came with 2 US AGM 2000 6- volts batteries from Roadtrek. Here is the link to their website: http://usbattery.com/products/us-agm-batteries/us-agm-2000/

I have not replaced mine so I cannot recommend where to get one, but some websites list the battery for about $250 a piece.

Good luck.

BobLLL

Did the pump fail suddenly, or gradually get weaker? If sudden, did you check that the impeller is not stuck, by pushing in the black knob until it engages (a fairly hard push) and then seeing if it turns freely?

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Hi,
If your macerator appears to be running but not discharging waste, my best guess is the impeller is worn out (pretty common). I do have an old blog post on how to replace the impeller or the macerator pump itself, lots of pictures with step by step instructions... see this link: http://roadtreklife.blogspot.com/2013/12/replacing-macerator-impeller.html

My 2011 Agile came with 2 US AGM 2000 6- volts batteries from Roadtrek. Here is the link to their website: http://usbattery.com/products/us-agm-batteries/us-agm-2000/

I have not replaced mine so I cannot recommend where to get one, but some websites list the battery for about $250 a piece.

Good luck.
Great post on macerator:archiving it. Curious mines a 2010 Agile... house batteries are OK as per daily functions! BUT when should I replace them ?? as per indicating DC voltage that it's on it's last leg. Minimum DC resting voltage after a few days; should it be no more than 12.8v ????

cheers...

calbiker

Don't know what kind of macerator you have, but I have a Flojet. When I first turn it on, it will sometimes move just a little. My 20A fuse will sometimes blow.

There's a rubber stopper located at the bottom end of the Flojet. I remove the stopper, insert a screwdriver into the hidden shaft to spit it. This will free up the resistance the pump sees.

The other problem you may have is the cable to the macerator is too small. The voltage drop is too big to get the pump going when it's a little stuck. You need a cable that can handle 20A with little voltage drop. Perhaps 10 or 12 awg.

BobLLL

... house batteries are OK as per daily functions! BUT when should I replace them ?? as per indicating DC voltage that it's on it's last leg. Minimum DC resting voltage after a few days; should it be no more than 12.8v ????
I think the practical advice might be you should replace your house batteries when they will no longer store enough energy to meet your camping needs. If they start running down before you are done having fun, they aren't adequate.

Or, you can test them from time to time. A resting voltage of 12.8 or better at least 4 hours after disconnecting the charger does give some indication that the batteries are healthy. A load test is generally considered a more accurate indication. The US Battery website linked above has a spec sheet with voltage vs time curves for various loads. Or you can load the battery for a set period of time, turn off the load, calculate the amp/hours drawn, wait 4 hours, then consult the voltage vs % of charge table.

For example, last spring I plugged a 250 watt lamp into the house batteries via the inverter, which gave me about a 20 amp load. I left the lamp on for 4 hours, compared the voltage at that time with the US Battery load/time chart for a 20 amp load, the voltage was close to spec, and so I declared the batteries good for another season. Also, I then let the batteries sit with the partial charge for four hours and checked the resting voltage for confirmation. Then promptly recharged them.

Thanks you information is really helpful !

I think the practical advice might be you should replace your house batteries when they will no longer store enough energy to meet your camping needs. If they start running down before you are done having fun, they aren't adequate.

Or, you can test them from time to time. A resting voltage of 12.8 or better at least 4 hours after disconnecting the charger does give some indication that the batteries are healthy. A load test is generally considered a more accurate indication. The US Battery website linked above has a spec sheet with voltage vs time curves for various loads. Or you can load the battery for a set period of time, turn off the load, calculate the amp/hours drawn, wait 4 hours, then consult the voltage vs % of charge table.

For example, last spring I plugged a 250 watt lamp into the house batteries via the inverter, which gave me about a 20 amp load. I left the lamp on for 4 hours, compared the voltage at that time with the US Battery load/time chart for a 20 amp load, the voltage was close to spec, and so I declared the batteries good for another season. Also, I then let the batteries sit with the partial charge for four hours and checked the resting voltage for confirmation. Then promptly recharged them.

BucketList

RoadTrek08 Sprinter Agile
I put AGM no maintenance batteries in mine. I'm really happy with them.

And DO check Facebook Roadtreking The Group. People from the Kitchener manufacturers incl the owner participate there. Ask to join. You will get to know who to ask for what eh?

BList

mowog

Hi: If you have several vehicles/devices with automotive batteries, think about getting a battery charger/maintainer such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer...6&sr=1-45&keywords=battery+charger+maintainer

There is now less expensive version of this that may be OK

http://www.amazon.com/BatteryMINDer...2&sr=1-19&keywords=battery+charger+maintainer

I have 2 of the first one, and have bought a few batteries back to life after a period of charging. I use it at least twice a year on my RS. I apply it to the red jumping contact in the engine compartment for the coach battery, and to the 6V AGM (US Battery as already mentioned) house batteries. I do this with the RV unplugged from shore power and the battery switch off on the above the door panel.

So far so good.

Bob Skillman
Ellicott City, MD
2011 RS

bikerbill44

Also join the Facebook page Sprinter Roadtrekers. The other one Roadtreking The Group is excellent but if one asks the "wrong" questions or makes the "wrong" comments, as I did, they get dropped from that one. "...The Group" is all about the warm & fuzzy approach: rock the boat and they dump you out. :bounce:

Top Bottom