coach battery runs down in 3 days with everything off

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
thanks KL2BE
It will take awhile to digest all that.
Meanwhile,just pulling the fuse to the co2/propane monitoring nothing and it has not run down in a month.

If the battery under the seat is too small to be useful (fit 49) then why add a second of the same size?Or could one eliminate the one under the seat and put the largest one possible in the back?

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
3 years later.............
I replaced the battery under the passenger seat a year ago.What a lousy location for a battery that needs water.
The replacement,from Walmart,has been fine for a year with no unexplained discharge.
I did not know before that the stove and heater needed electricity since I have had others that did not.

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
Howdy,
Here's a link with pictures for installing a group 31 on it's side under the passenger seat.
http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2674&highlight=under+seat+agm+battery+install
It worked good for me about 5 or 6 years ago, I have a 2005 LTV on the Sprinter 2500 chassis.
Later, Jim
I have 2 more questions.
Why wouldnt the OEM battery be sealed?It is insane to remove the seat to check water levels.
Why isnt the OEM battery deep cycle?
And why doesnt the battery tray hold a deep cycle battery without modification?

Also, the underseat battery only seems to charge with driving thru the alternator or by the generator. It does not charge with shore power.Can I change that so I can keep it charged up when parked? Or do I need to get some sort of solar trickle charger.
Thank you

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
The Trimetric monitor is a very good thing to add. You can see the drain. Also, LED lights are good things to upgrade to as you go along.

So is a second battery. I have a friend who added a second battery to his Pleasure Way. He built a box right behind the passenger seat. Was good for sitting on.

I didn't catch if anyone told you: "yes, you have to remove the passenger seat". You do.

You do have a battery cutoff switch. It's the switch on the left in the switch panel above the sliding door.

However, it doesn't turn off the propane and CO monitors.

I have AGM batteries. I had to replace them when one of them encountered conditions that caused both them suffer damage. At least that's what I figured happened. I had them over three years.

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
Thanks for trying to help.
Maybe I should start a new thread about the charge controller,because the coach battery will not charge from shore power or the generator,but it will charge from the alternator while driving.
The circuit breaker for the charge controller did not trip,but I dont know what to do next.
Thanks

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Also, the OEM batteries in mine were deep cycle sealed batteries. I never had trouble with them running out of water. The problems came with the way I degraded them.

hayduke

2005/2006 leisure travel
Also, the OEM batteries in mine were deep cycle sealed batteries. I never had trouble with them running out of water. The problems came with the way I degraded them.
My OEM was not a deep cycle Varta.I replaced it with another non-deep cycle with a 3 year full replacement/5 year prorated .My thinking was the deep cycles have a much shorter warranty,and if this battery dies in 3 years(I expect it will) I get a free replacement

brassarl

2006 T1N 2500 Long & Tall
On a 2006 LTV Freespirit, where do I find the relay that connects house batteries to the engine battery so house batteries charge while engine is running.

I have a LR9806 relay, I've checked the voltage on both large lugs, the voltage is exactly the same on both lugs. Shouldn't one be the chassis battery voltage and the other lug be the house battery voltage?

Would this be where I would install a Trik-L-Start (battery charger/maintainer) so the solar charging from house batteries can also charge chassis battery?

Thanks

Top Bottom