Attaching Photos

Lars1

I was attempting to attach photos to a thread with no results. Anybody have any ideas? I realize there is an issue with attachment size. I have an IMac. Than you. Lars

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I was attempting to attach photos to a thread with no results. Anybody have any ideas? I realize there is an issue with attachment size. I have an IMac. Than you. Lars
What steps did you perform? What did you see?

Did you use the "advanced" (versus quick) reply/edit screen?

Did you click the paperclip icon to bring up the file-management window?

In the file-management window, did you click the top Browse button?

Did a file selection window appear?

Did you choose an appropriate file (the file-management window lists the acceptable file types)

Did you click "Open"?
(note: as i write this the File-management window is complaining that its own page doesn't exist... if that's what you're seeing, it's NOT a Mac issue (i'm on Windoze))
(update: now working)

(assuming file-management worked at all...)
Did you click "Upload"?

Did you get an error message after the upload attempt, or did the image file's name and size appear in the list below the Browse buttons (as it/they should)?
(note that each acceptable file type has a specific maximum size (as in kilobytes) and size (as in pixels: 900 wide is maximum))

Now, back in the original text window, did you use the drop-arrow next to the paperclip to insert an image at the most recent cursor position, or did you just "default" to all of the as-yet-unplaced images appearing after your text?

You saw where it went astray, we didn't. Please describe.

--dick

Last edited:

Mein Sprinter

Known member
What steps did you perform? What did you see?

Did you use the "advanced" (versus quick) reply/edit screen?

Did you click the paperclip icon to bring up the file-management window?

In the file-management window, did you click the top Browse button?

Did a file selection window appear?

Did you choose an appropriate file (the file-management window lists the acceptable file types)

Did you click "Open"?
(note: as i write this the File-management window is complaining that its own page doesn't exist... if that's what you're seeing, it's NOT a Mac issue (i'm on Windoze))
(update: now working)

(assuming file-management worked at all...)
Did you click "Upload"?

Did you get an error message after the upload attempt, or did the image file's name and size appear in the list below the Browse buttons (as it/they should)?
(note that each acceptable file type has a specific maximum size (as in kilobytes) and size (as in pixels: 900 wide is maximum))

Now, back in the original text window, did you use the drop-arrow next to the paperclip to insert an image at the most recent cursor position, or did you just "default" to all of the as-yet-unplaced images appearing after your text?

You saw where it went astray, we didn't. Please describe.

--dick
Hmmnn...

I use and have used for a long time: SmugMug which is a paid photo-sharing website and image hosting service which allows users to upload both HD photos and videos to their SmugMug sites. Costs: $40 per year for basics which I use! It's so childishly simple that I have used it for 7 years..posting my pictures on ADVrider/ and now the Sprinter forum. Give it a read!??

cheers...

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I use and have used for a long time: SmugMug which is a paid photo-sharing website and image hosting service which allows users to upload both HD photos and videos to their SmugMug sites. Costs: $40 per year for basics which I use! It's so childishly simple that I have used it for 7 years..posting my pictures on ADVrider/ and now the Sprinter forum. Give it a read!??
True... there are both free and paid-for sites that will hold your photos, and then you just point at them:

(that's from a typical free site that allows 500 megabytes of web pages and images. You can also create .php and database-driven pages and content: http://000webhost.com
I use it to host http://sprinter.net16.net/ , my "scratch" Sprinter site.
You can also spend money to increase your storage allotment and avoid pop-up ads)

One "win" on such sites is that you can exceed the 900-pixel limit.
Two problems with them are:
(a) by exceeding the 900 pixel limit, you may force readers to have to horizontally scroll to read your posts.. and that also pushes many of the forum's navigation buttons off the screen.
(b) if the remote host (or your account thereon) goes away, all of the images that you put out there are lost to your threads.

There are a number of very useful threads discussing "put this where the photo shows" ... and the photo no longer exists.
Including your photo here on the forum's server avoids that bit-rot.

--dick

Top Bottom