What are they thinkin' - RV Exterior Paint and Decals

Over the years I've noticed what I consider some pretty garish exterior decorating schemes on what I see as expensive Sprinter based RV units, and some other platform brands by the way.

Some of the looks are bad enough in my mind to keep from purchasing those models. If I'm spending that amount of money I don't want it to look cheesy. That said, I don't have that kind of money and I'm not in the market. So I post this for input from you guys and gals out there who are looking to buy Sprinter RV's.

Is my taste in vehicle paint and graphics faulty so these rather wild (at least to me) paint and decals what people want nowadays? Mind you, I'm the guy who just changed my Sprinter from Arctic Whitewash Spotted Snow Leopard Motif to Brushtone Grey so as to fashion and looks, I'm not standing on a very stable soapbox.

Sorry if this has been covered before. I recall threads about removing decals, but not any about the general direction of the industry as to exterior treatments.

:popcorn:

:cheers: vic

Last edited:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I think that times are changing. Our friends at Great West were pretty proud of the paint scheme on our new rig:

2014 Great West Vans Legend SE

Advanced RV is doing pretty much the same, including eliminating or hiding most of the external RV appendages.

In the early days of B vans, I think everybody was trying to make the vans look like miniature Class A busses (which are pretty much inherently garish). Hopefully we are slowly getting over it.

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Over the years I've noticed what I consider some pretty garish exterior decorating schemes on what I see as expensive Sprinter based RV units, and some other platform brands by the way.

Some of the looks are bad enough in my mind to keep from purchasing those models. If I'm spending that amount of money I don't want it to look cheesy. That said, I don't have that kind of money and I'm not in the market. So I post this for input from you guys and gals out there who are looking to buy Sprinter RV's.

Is my taste in vehicle paint and graphics faulty, or is the rather wild (at least to me) paint and decals what people want nowadays? Mind you, I'm the guy who just changed my Sprinter from Arctic Whitewash Spotted Snow Leopard Motif to Brushtone Grey so as to fashion and looks, I'm not standing on a very stable soapbox.

Sorry if this has been covered before. I recall threads about removing decals, but not any about the general direction of the industry as to exterior treatments.

:popcorn:

I've stripped mine clean. Agree most look cheesy..fuggly..! Now even some HOA communities let you park your SS(short) Sprinter RV? in their drive way but not if you have a fully flogged decorative billboard of a Sprinter!

Even have now removed "Roadtrek SS"....

Stupid faux Bay windows...

cheers....

I think that times are changing. Our friends at Great West were pretty proud of the paint scheme on our new rig:

What you show in your pictures above looks great to me.

I've stripped mine clean. Agree most look cheesy..fuggly..! Now even some HOA communities let you park your SS(short) Sprinter RV? in their drive way but not if you have a fully flogged decorative billboard of a Sprinter!

cheers....
Your pictures look great too, even the before decal removal one is ok.

I'm talking about the ones with the squiggly almost like flame jobs and large letters proclaiming the name of the builder. Your examples aren't close to what I was referring to.

I don't want to post examples because I don't want to insult anyone or step on toes.

So far we're on the same page with what I'd consider good.

Maybe I should ask the question this way. How many people have requested that the exterior paint and decal designs be either toned down or left off? If yes, was the builder upset with the request?

Davydd

The most garish of recent times was the Winnebago ERAs and even they starting with 2014 toned them drastically down. The trend on Class Bs has been away from decals.

The most garish of recent times was the Winnebago ERAs and even they starting with 2014 toned them drastically down. The trend on Class Bs has been away from decals.
Bingo.

So maybe I'm late to the party with my question and things have changed.

vic

ehallspqr

Been around RV market since the early 80's and owned many. In general the RV crowd loved all the decals, stripes and lurid paint schemes that the RV industry produced. Over the years I met so many fellow RV'ers that would gush on and on about the fantastic stripes or paint scheme on their rig. Many, not satisfied with the garish factory scheme would custom paint their rigs in an even more garish manner. So the RV industry just was giving them (the majority) what they wanted. Just when I thought I'd seen the most tasteless, over-the-top paint scheme, along would come one that was even worst. I agree the trend now is more towards toning this down, the understated is more thing and thank god for that.

That all said, I have seen some nicely done, tasteful paint/stripe schemes over the years. Unfortunately those where few and far between. It's a personal taste thing and I for one am not about to tell someone their rig is over the top. If they are happy, I'm happy for them:cheers:

... It's a personal taste thing and I for one am not about to tell someone their rig is over the top. If they are happy, I'm happy for them:cheers:
I wouldn't intentionally offend anyone either. Your comment is a good reminder to not discuss RV exteriors around the campground.

vic

Last edited:

Davydd

Things change. Bell bottom pants, long side burns and big teased hair were once very popular too.

It does appear the small RV crowd with Class B vans has spearheaded the simple look the most. I believe it is a quest for a more stealth look for a variety of reasons with the go anywhere, park anywhere capability. Big RVs can't disguise what they are.

The other big move with Class Bs is to disguise the obvious and conceal or eliminate the exterior connections, vents, etc. that scream RV.

... long side burns and big teased hair were once very popular too.

If you were to meet some of my more distant in-laws today you'd realize that statement may be flawed, but I get your point. :bounce:

Thanks for the input. vic

ehallspqr

This!

Inga and my fist Disco camper van. Understated 70's style. Very Proud of that one :rolleyes:
I Kid........

Last edited:

jjrubino

I think that an issue is that the decals age faster than the paint on the van. That was the case with ours. Florida sun, white body and dark decals. As for removal, we bought a "tractor wheel" at O'Reilly's Auto Parts. This is a tool that body shops use for decal removal. It worked great and caused no paint damage. Our main decals were faded by the sun. It was nice to get the manufacturer's phone number and web site off!

cahaak

If the vinyl markings are not too old, they can be removed simply by warming them up modestly with a blow dryer or hot air gun (or direct sun) and gently peeling them off. Any remaining adhesive can be quickly cleaned up with a citrus based adhesive remover. If the marking are brittle or cracked, then using a now abrasive rubber removal wheel as noted above works great. 3M makes one of these that has a bunch of "fingers" and mounts in a drill. It still helps to heat up the markings.

Chris

Top Bottom