Help! Towing info needed

stp57

I will be towing my son's Ford Taurus (fwd) 900 miles with my 2006, 2500, 140 with the class lll hitch. Uhaul said that I couldn't use a tow bar because it wouldn't fit the vehicles (which vehicle I don't know?) ? I was hoping to use the bar v.s the tow dolly because the speed rating for the dolly is only 50mph & I would also have to lug it back home empty. Any ideas? I am leaving in a couple of weeks, I should have posted this message sooner?
Steve

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The tow bar you're talking about, is it the one that you mount to the bumper of the vehicle?

If it is, I wouldn't use it, especially on a vehicle like the Taurus. I don't think Tauruses were designed to be towed with all four wheels on the ground.

I would use the dolly. That way you don't need to leave the key in the ignition and you don't ruin your drivetrain. In some states, the law limits you to 55mph when towing. I know some are going faster than that. Just take your time and enjoy the scenery.

stp57

Thanks Sikwan,
Sounds like great advice. It looks so much easier to use a tow bar (& cheaper), but as usual, things are not always as they seem.
Steve

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Steve,

Towing the Taurus is a solution to an unstated problem.

Without asking something - I dunno - too personal, I just want to ask: Is towing the only solution?

-Jon

stp57

No, not too personal. I am moving my son to El Paso from Houston to live & go to school for 2 yrs. I am hoping to cut the fuel consumption in half this way & I will certainly enjoy the company (& the view).
Steve

Top Bottom