Steering wheel control interface for aftermarket head units

BigBlueBus

Hey fellow Sprinter owners.
I've read a few months back that some members were desperately looking for an interface to retain the steering wheel button controls for their recently installed aftermarket radios or head units w/navigation. I think this will work for that, it is listed for the 2007-2010 Sprinter:
https://metradealer.com/api/vfg/view-product/id/ASWC

I have a factory MB Navigation Command unit installed so I don't need something like this, as my factory command unit works with my steering wheel buttons (phone buttons work as well since the command unit has bluetooth activated). But I thought many members here could benefit from my find, in case they still needed this.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I discovered that there's more than one connectivity protocol for the wheel harness on an NCV3: Mini ISO, ISO and FAKRA.

You would think it quite likely that the DC commercial model range would share just one of them wouldn't you? Errr, no. That would be too obvious friend.

The only way to know for sure is to pull the wires out in your own van and see what type of plugs you've got from the wheel.

There's another post with a part link if interested to search.

twistyroad

My Sprinter has steering wheel buttons, but I replaced the entire sound system. The head unit I'm using is a Pioneer Premier FH-B800BT (the "BT" in that model number is for the BlueTooth connection for a cell phone). I used PAC components (SWI-CAN2 and SWI-PS) to interface the stereo/phone to the steering wheel buttons. Got the pieces from Crutchfield. Programmed it such that the two upper right buttons increase/decrease the sound system volume, and the two lower right buttons answer/disconnect phone calls. Works great!

Avards

Twisty (or others):

I'm using the PAC system in my 2008 Sprinter. I've not played with Bluetooth cellphone connectivity previously.

What happens if I program the "Telephone" button in the lower right of the steering wheel, to answer my phone, and have paired my cellphone with my Kenwood radio? If the phone rings, do I just hit the button, and answer the phone? To hang up, just hit the programmed button below it?

Sorry guys, but I'm a refugee from the analog era, and struggle to get past the "two tomato juice cans an a piece of string" type of communications. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

wr

twistyroad

What happens if I program the "Telephone" button in the lower right of the steering wheel, to answer my phone, and have paired my cellphone with my Kenwood radio? If the phone rings, do I just hit the button, and answer the phone? To hang up, just hit the programmed button below it?
Yes, that's exactly how mine works.

Avards

Twisty:

Thanks for the response.

I've got a bit of a question, however. When programming the PAC, there were ten things listed as options for use with the Kenwood receiver. Number 10 was to be used for answering a call. There was, however, no option for setting a button to terminate a call. When I called the PAC tech support, I was told that the phone would disconnect when the other person ended the call. Still haven't quite figured this one out.

As I had four buttons to fool with, I went for volume up and down; call answer answering; and I used the fourth (phone on cradle) for selecting the source of input.

Will just have to experiment a bit and hope that I don't accept a call from another Sprinter owner who has a Kenwood receiver. Neither of us would have a "end call button."

Again, thanks,

wr

nitewulf

anyone has an idea of the correct connection of the ASWC on the new 2011 ? I followed one for Dodge Sprinter 2007+ and its not working at all :( is there a difference with the 2011 besides the double harness ?

sorryhoney

anyone has an idea of the correct connection of the ASWC on the new 2011 ? I followed one for Dodge Sprinter 2007+ and its not working at all :( is there a difference with the 2011 besides the double harness ?
I'm trying to interface the 2011 steering controls with a Kenwood DDX419, and was told by PAC Tech Support that there is no module available to interface the 2011, only up to 2010. In time, perhaps? this was 5/31/12

SOLBRTs

I'm trying to interface the 2011 steering controls with a Kenwood DDX419, and was told by PAC Tech Support that there is no module available to interface the 2011, only up to 2010. In time, perhaps? this was 5/31/12
See the thread "Any Audiophiles put in a really good sound system". I have listed the pieces necessary to install a 418 in a 2011 allowing for control from the steering wheel. Hope this helps!

Top Bottom