Fuel system issue with 413. Have you heard of this?

SILVERFOX

Hi

I've had my 413 LWB Hi Roof for 18 months now. Bought with 200,000Ks now at 230.
I run delivering up and down the far north coast NSW mainly at 100KMH on the Pacific Hwy. It usually runs heavy, within 500Kgs of its 4490KG GVM.

After some substantial problems is now going well and working hard. Performs well even when heavily loaded. It will even accelerate a little when fully loaded going up Saint Helena, the big hill on the Pacific Hwy near the Byron bay turnoff.

Not long after purchase the fuel pump failed and was replaced.

Less than 12mths later had a major failure resulting in an $800 tow on a tilt tray before spending another $8k on a fuel system overhaul including rail, injectors and aftermarket fuel filter with clear bowl to allow visual check for water.

I have only just noticed what the reason for failure could be. Apart from water and crook fuel, I've noticed that when it gets down to below 1/4 tank full the pump sometimes runs dry when I go around corners or on big hills and will actually stop. I usually keep the tank full and it does not occur. I think that the fuel pump running dry for a moment each time would cause damage in the long term.

So I am thinking that maybe the fuel pickup may be loose inside the tank. Have you encountered this?

Is the tank sealed or can I drop the tank to get access?

Any info will be appreciated .Cheers and thanks.

Nick.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
You can easily drop the tank if you're interested to have a look. Seadawg did a "How To" for the T1N, or search my own version for NCV3.

How are you arriving at the conclusion that your pump is running dry though? There's a swirl pot incorporated into the sender which should prevent this.

SILVERFOX

Hi M.I.G.

Thanks for your comment.
As said in the first comment, when the tank is low and I drive around a corner the engine starves for fuel. I have also had one of my customers check the trouble code and it is usually "low fuel pressure".

So my deduction is that the pump runs dry when driven up hills or around corners when the tank is below half full.

Add to that two fuel pumps destroyed in twelve months. The second put ground up metal through the entire fuel system and cost $8,000.00 to repair.

So I am hoping that we can get to the bottom of the problem not only for my benefit but to help others avoid this.

Could there be any other nasty problem hiding away in the fuel system?

Cheers
Nick.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
WIS DATA Diagnostic health report required for the common rail, data maximum values including data values for sensors.
cd1 (Custom).JPG

cd2 (Custom).JPG

if1 (Custom).JPG

if2 (Custom).JPG

fuel return (Custom).JPG
Richard

Eric Experience

Nick.
The way the fuel system works the return fuel from the motor powers a venturi pump which scavanges the fuel from the tank and fills a plastic pot about 2 litre capacity, the engine pump sucks fuel from this pot. If you drive over an object on the road like a kangaroo the bottom of the tank can get pushed up enough to brake the plastic pot causing your symptoms. Just remove the tank and check out the pot. Eric

Top Bottom