Super singles

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
No, it's not a dodgy club.

I saw them for the first time last week, pictured here against the conventional twin wheel configuration.

It's quite a big tyre for light commercial eh?

Attachments

BMA

No, it's not a dodgy club.

I saw them for the first time last week, pictured here against the conventional twin wheel configuration.

It's quite a big tyre for light commercial eh?
However it will allow a 48" pallet to be slid into the back of a 3500.:bounce: For me that 38" width between the wheel wells in the 3500 series was a deal breaker. I need the ability to put pallets and wood bundles in back. I'd prefer the greater weight carrying capacity as who knows what all I'd be throwing in the back.

Are they using the same tire up front? or is it one of the the 16" ones?

PS: That isn't large. I have a few 385/65R22 tires around the farm. Great for flotation till you figure out that they are supporting 22,000 lbs on a pair. :D

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
The single rear wheel only is wider to replace the dual wheel system
[A] because it does allow a full pallet to be slid between rear wheel arches
The advantage with the single rear wide rim it will allow greater stability for the vehicle on the road it also solves a minor issue with the ESP , it did activate under certain conditions especially in reverse or if the wheels were aqua planing when one of the two wheels on either side of the van were not actually grounded.
[c] Mercedes also have severe competition in Europe with Ford transit which have a wider wheel base as an option for front and rear wheel drive, for this company Ford had an advantage over Mercedes.
[C] the Fiat Iveco also re badged as a Citroen and Renault again has a wider track and this vehicle is dominating as the preferred vehicle for long haul courier companies as to it being able to Carry seven tonne this Gives Iveco a huge advantage over the Sprinter in both cost of purchase and the financial return an operator can archive by carrying an extra tonne or two,
It doesn't take long for opposition manufactures to not only catch up with the Sprinter, but in many ways they are able to offer more incentives to options at a lower cost.
The Fiat group of companies has a world wide network and they could be perceived to be the No 1 threat to Mercedes -Benz in the Commercial range.
If GM ever brought them into the States you can be sure they would sell,their range is massive.
Richard
006438.2-lg.jpg

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
The difference between front and rear rims is 5.5J and 8.5J I think.

The spare is an intermediate size which will fit either axle.

Fiat may fare well in other areas of europe, but they have a big image problem here in the UK, and dealer back up isn't the best. Not many operators go for them - they just aren't as durable as the competition.

Take a look in the waiting lanes down at Dover port: see what percentage of vehicles aren't Sprinters - it's fairly low.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
The difference between front and rear rims is 5.5J and 8.5J I think.

The spare is an intermediate size which will fit either axle.

Fiat may fare well in other areas of europe, but they have a big image problem here in the UK, and dealer back up isn't the best. Not many operators go for them - they just aren't as durable as the competition.
Sadly this rings true with the Dodge Sprinter Stateside:thumbdown:

Take a look in the waiting lanes down at Dover port: see what percentage of vehicles aren't Sprinters - it's fairly low.
Next trip down towards Folkestone, sit and watch what comes out of the Tunnel, take a trip to Calais and then watch the numbers increase.
Fiat is about to enter the US market they have two options buy out a trucking company US based or stand alone, this is not a pipe dream its happening today in the USA.Fiat are not small players a few of their child company's are Alfa Romeo Ferrari Lancia and Maserati The trucking division Of Fiat is huge as to both owning multiple trucking divisions and also sharing with other manufactures Just like Dodge and freightliner.
I know the Fiats they are tough, yes they have their problems , but no more than Dodge does
Look at the similarity between the old Dodge Sprinter, and the Fiat Iveco and tell me they would not be competition for the Dodge Sprinter from 2003 to 2006.
Richard
LP4hr.jpg
The new Fiat has more toys in it and this is one heck of an incentive for US buyers.
I like you Love the Mercs as the rest of us do, but this vehicle is a serious contender to the Mercedes Sprinter as where the Sprinters are just holding on 2006 sales for 2007, where Fiat has increased sales globally by increasing its sales since 2005 the Sprinter has lost ground because of competition.
Front wheel drive has advantages over rear wheel drive in winter conditions it more stable an d easier to control I've owned front wheel drive, in both Mercs and VW, and it's a totally different experience,
I admit they may not be everyones cup of tea, but have you driven one and experienced the thrill! I have its on my short list of preferred purchase for my Third fleet vehicle.
new-fiat-ducato-orig.jpg
new-fiat-ducato-sophisticated-orig.jpg
iveco.jpg

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Fiat developed a very bad reputation with its passenger cars in the US in the 50s and 60s (Fix it again Tony). If they bring those commercial vehicles into the US they had best brand them as Chevrolet or Toyota, anything but Fiat, Alfa Romeo, or Maserati.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Fiat developed a very bad reputation with its passenger cars in the US in the 50s and 60s (Fix it again Tony). If they bring those commercial vehicles into the US they had best brand them as Chevrolet or Toyota, anything but Fiat, Alfa Romeo, or Maserati.
Yeah, a Maserati can do 185, but it makes you lose your license and then you can't drive.

Top Bottom