Redline fluid options ....D4 or D6

Aircraft Wrench

I'm going to service my NAG1 shortly on my 2006 SHC 2500....Sik used the D4 fluid so that spurred me to check tech data from Redline to see what specs that fluid might meet....I saw the info on the D6 and was impressed with the stability compared to D4....I notice currently a definite difference in RSN when it is very cold (-10f) vs +65F...so I'm thinking perhaps the D6.....

I've attached the Redline info sheet....

:popcorn:

Attachments

• 64.6 KB Views: 27

Can't help with your answers, but I do have some questions.

I don't know how anyone really figures this out being that even the Crossfire/Sprinter Dodge fluid has gone three generations that I know of and you don't want the early version anymore. Is the price difference that much better Redline vs. OEM? I know the OEM stuff is way expensive. It hurt me to buy it even with a discount of sorts.

I didn't see any Mercedes Benz spec references in the Redline data sheet. Maybe I missed them.

pgr

I used the D4 on my '04 and it didn't make the rumble noise go away (only feel it when cold), in fact, it is probably more noticeable now but as soon as the engine gets up to operating temp it does go away.

I would try the D6 or the MBZ stuff not the G4 if I were you.

pgr

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
There are two camps.

One follows the letter of the law in the owners manual.

The other considers it a "guideline," not a law.

Like smokers vs non-smokers, figure out which one you are and be happy about the choice.

-Jon

hoyt

The service manual for my '04 says that the transmission should be filled with Mopar ATF +4 or type MS-9602 type transmission fluid. Redline ATF C+ say that it is a replacement for ATF +4 and type 9602 fluid.

That is the fluid I have been considering using instead of the OEM stuff. Is there a reason you are passing up the ATF C+ from Redline??

--John

As I said earlier it seems MB makes this more complicated than I would imagine.

As to the Mopar ATF +4 for the NAG1 transmission, when I went to my local Dodge dealership for ATF for my 2004 the guy brought out Mopar ATF +4. I commented that I thought there was a specific type for the Sprinter. He went back to the computer, apologized and then brought out a bottle of Crossfire/Sprinter fluid. I don't think Mopar ATF +4 meets the MB specs, but I haven't researched it. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom