Limp at 55mph

Was driving my 2004 freight liner 2500 went into limp mode of 55 mph. No dash lights on. Stopped sprinter to check with mechanic and since it's late night no one on duty. Started sprinter back up and ran fine after that could be a fuel filter?

Was driving my 2004 freight liner 2500 went into limp mode of 55 mph. No dash lights on. Stopped sprinter to check with mechanic and since it's late night no one on duty. Started sprinter back up and ran fine after that could be a fuel filter?
Unlikely it is the fuel filter, but that is a possibility. How many miles since last changed?

The first thing which should be done is to have the computers scanned using a Sprinter specific scan tool. There may be some information available there which will point you in the correct direction.

If no codes are found so many times these LHM events trace to leaks in the charge air turbo system. Visually inspect the turbo hoses and turbo resonator for splits or damage. Often there will be a bit of oil that leaks out with the air leak so any oily areas deserve close inspection.

vic

psychoboy

05&06 Dodge Longs & Talls
My complete and total EGR failure created a non-CEL limp mode that made 60mph almost impossible to achieve.

the light would come and go, the limp would come and go, rarely did they come and go together.

Markthelark

There are many things to put it into limp . Usually fuel problems will bring the edc on , fuel filters are often overlooked. Limp is usually a Rev limit of 3000rpm I think .

seans

Failure of my EGR valve also caused limp mode only at sustained highway speeds. Turning the engine off, then on again would clear it.

MillionMileSprinter

Millionmilesprinter.com
Don't forget the turbo resonator. Especially on an 04. Those resonators are known to split at the seams and leak, causing a leak in the turbo plumbing and throwing the van into limp mode. Check the resonator and under the resonator for oil. You may or may not see the split seam. I just replaced one yesterday that would split open when the van was pulling a loaded trailer and sound awful, but then seam would snap back into place under normal driving conditions and quietly go into limp mode and so the driver would just complain "it feels low on power". The nice thing about the resonator is that it's only 30$ on Amazon. And that's the good one from Doorman.
Good luck!

Top Bottom