Disabling Full-Time Headlights?

Morz4

HELP: Can anyone tell me FOR CERTAIN how to override or disable the full-time running lights (headlights) on my 2010 Mercedes Sprinter chassis (2011 Navion 24J)? Following the instructions in the manual was fruitless. I've searched and read every blog I could find on the issue ... still to no avail. I don't mind DRLs, but abhor being the cause of bright lights in campgrounds!

sailquik

Morz4,
The flip side of "I don't mind DRLs, but abhor being the cause of bright lights in campgrounds!" is......
I abhor the thought of running over someone's child or pet in a dark campground because I shut off
my headlights.
I don't as a rule, keep the high beams on, but shutting off all your headlights so you can no
longer see what's in front of you has far greater risks than your headlights bothering someone as
they flash over an RV parked for the night.
Roger

Alwys*Lst

I have a 2013 and had the same question.... Apparently the head lights CAN NOT be turned off..... What I do is Physically turn on the parking lights with the swicth and then the headlights are not on

Good Luck

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Just turn the light switch to the park light position to temporarily shut off the bright DLRs. Remember to put the swtch back in the off position to enable the DLR and turn the exterior lights off!

VaLontano

There's something about turning the headlight switch to the off position for them to come on that doesn't set right with me. I've never really trusted the automatic position on a headlight switch (probably either old, a control freak or both). If I were to change them I'd have an "off" that was really off, a "park" for the parking and clearance lights, etc and an "on" position for when I wanted them on. Of course, I kind of liked those push/pull head light knobs from sometime in my distant past.

G

Gordon Smith

VaLontano: My favorite anti-intuitive control is the air conditioner on/off button on my '07. When the a/c is OFF, the indicator light is ON. When the a/c is ON, the indicator light is OFF. I wonder if MB ever changed this a/c indicator light on newer models?

Added note: It was necessary to pay the local Dodge Dealership $77 to turn off my DRL's, since it was a computer setting, not alterable otherwise.

Last edited:

mehr4x4

Using the parking lights on my 04 doesn't work, they are always on once you start it. One of the biggest times I want to shut them off is when we driving around looking at Christmas lights, no I don't want to "drive" with them off. But when we park to look at them it's quite rude to have them shining in other people's eyes and it's too cold to shut the van off. I too would like to know how to shut the head lights off
Eric

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

K-9 SPRINTER

HELP: Can anyone tell me FOR CERTAIN how to override or disable the full-time running lights (headlights) on my 2010 Mercedes Sprinter chassis (2011 Navion 24J)? Following the instructions in the manual was fruitless. I've searched and read every blog I could find on the issue ... still to no avail. I don't mind DRLs, but abhor being the cause of bright lights in campgrounds!
If you have the DRL as an option on your 2010, the dealership can shut of that option

brassarl

2006 T1N 2500 Long & Tall
HELP: Can anyone tell me FOR CERTAIN how to override or disable the full-time running lights (headlights) I've searched and read every blog I could find on the issue ... still to no avail. I don't mind DRLs, but abhor being the cause of bright lights in campgrounds!
Good luck with that. Usually if you go to the MB dealer they can disable them. Had a friend with a Ford Edge in Montana that came to Canada to have her DRL's activated, the US dealers did not know what she was talking about.

I do have an overide on mine, and occasionally turn them off. It simply appauling how often I get cutoff and close (collision) calls I get when I've turned them off. That said, I seldomly turn them off any longer.

The true DLR's are only 80% of low beam intensity. Also I have to add; in Canada they are mandated by law to be on newer vehicles, but for some reason there is zero enforcement of the law. Yet, it was an important part of the inspection when I imported my Leisure Travel Sprinter. Doesn't make sense!
Lou

:2cents:

larrygee

Just turn the light switch to the park light position to temporarily shut off the bright DLRs. Remember to put the swtch back in the off position to enable the DLR and turn the exterior lights off!
ok. Now I have to go check just to see if that simple but effective tip works! ?

tinman

On my 2005 chassis there is a fuse labelled Daytime Running Lights or some such. I've never pulled it, so can't speak to the consequences. I do think they are a good thing, although mine seem to run at 100% of low beam intensity. Unlike most DRLs the tail lights are on too. That's not a bad idea though, given the number of people who forget to turn on headlights at night because they can see with their DLRs.

Andy

psouza1943

First time post to this forum.

Recently purchased a 2015 Winnebago Reyo and aside from the fewer than normal defects, have been quite pleased with the package.

One issue that particularly irritates me is the inability to control the headlight operation. I don't wish to participate in a discussion on pros and cons of DLR. Requesting the Mercedes service center to restore normal operation was not productive.

The on board computer system menu structure on the 2014 C50 chassis as purchased by Winnebago, is greatly reduced from the full featured chassis as depicted by the "Manual". This is indeed a very basic Sprinter chassis.

A fix for the DLR operation is not difficult, although it took some time to figure a way to interpret a logic system with the available signals (lamp power distribution) but I was successful and have been using this system for several months. I have included a PDF file with the details.

Phil

Attachments

larrygee

Wow Phil....let me guess.....engineer?

Very thorough explanation and interesting read even to those that don't own said model.

psouza1943

Nope, no engineers here :smilewink: just an old retired electronics tech that can't stop meddling with the inner workings of stuff.

The things that Winnebago has done, to bring in a motor home at this price level, insure that there will be things to "fix" long after I'm able. The normal things people complain about, such as fit and finish of the doors, drawers, and little things that fall off, are, happily, not present on this rig. Even the Lippert / Schwintek slides are functioning properly. But... the paper tape and wall paper are still gonna shrink and fall off in five years. :idunno:

Even though superficial defects have been few and minor, there are some real outrageous and idiotic choices and mistakes that were made that I have had to address. Still a few to finish up. I won't wait for three months while the dealer, "deals" with my issues and repeats the same errors the manufacturer did so I do my own work where possible.

Phil

Last edited:

psumberg

I'm new to the sprinter chassis. My previous winnebago Rialta (VW chassis) would kill the headlights when the parking brake was set. I discovered this by accident. Imagine how confused I was until I figured out why my headlights were off. Ha ha

Aggie

2010 Roadtrek SS Ideal
Is Morz4 in Canada, or have a vehicle intended for Canada ? If so the vehicle may be set for lights to always be on and there's no OFF setting ?

georgelesley

I cannot imagine why you would want to do that. Daytime running lights are sooooooo much safer.
Daytime running lights yes. Headlights, no. To me, the risk of completely losing both beams of a headlight at night and having to drive with only one functional headlight negates any daytime benefit. One of our headlights just burned out and since they come in a two pack (I wonder why that is), I replaced both.

Top Bottom