Whats the difference between the 316 and 516 versions?

damien89

I have always been puzzled by the difference between the 316 and 516 version of the sprinter?
I am referring to the long wheel base model.

I know that the 316 is single rear wheel and the 516 is dual rear wheel and that they have different tonnage carrying capabilities, but apart from that what is their different?

Is the chassis stronger? Is it just the different springs carrying capability? Or maybe is their more to it than just visual stuff?

Could a dual rear wheel diff be fitted to a single wheel model?

sikwan

06 Tin Can
You have it right. The "16" part of it is the horsepower rounded up...for instance 154hp is the "16" designation.

Unless something has changed, that is how I always recognized it.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
There was never a 5 series sprinter designated in the Tin Series as they were refereed to 616
5 in-line.
316 NCV 515 NCV are 4 in-lines each to it's own weight category.
Richard

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I have always been puzzled by the difference between the 316 and 516 version of the sprinter?
There's also a 416 available in the current range.

Differences amount to spec variations in axles, chassis rail widths and strengthening ribs, steel thickness in some areas, wheel sizes, train weights and so on.

A swap to a heavier axle might be technically possible, however if you weren't insane to try it you would be if you ever got it finished.

There are more axle options than you think, around FORTY possibilities!

damien89

How many passengers are you wanting~ and for what use short or long haul?
Richard
The more the better, but the uk where we usually source second hand minibuses their are only 16 seater sprinters available in lwb and exlwb body.

So as a 316 model it would be 16 seater and as 516 model it would still be 16 seater but with space for luggage.
This for us in Malta is stupid because here in Malta before the eu regulations were put in force a 516 exlwb model would be fitted with 23 seats + driver.

So now my only concern is, is it worth it to get the twin wheel model versus the single wheel model? The difference in price is almost 15000 pounds between the two.

That's why i wanted to know if the difference between the two was just the rear diff and springs or is their more to it than just the diff?

Here in Malta all individual trips are no more than 45 minutes long but sometimes i can have 5 trips one after the other so it turns out in a 4 hour drive.

Last edited:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
5 series UK built coach will take your weight length and and roof height.
16 seater.
DSC01211 (Custom).jpg otherwise you need a van in a 4 or 5 series with factory fitted glass, for the conversion in the Hi-Top series.
DSC_1736 (Custom).JPG
Richard

Top Bottom