First legit Promaster conversion?

RyanJNelson

I'm currently building an rv conversion on my Promaster platform. I haven't seen any others done yet so I'm having a hard time finishing the interior details. There is no info on these yet. I've been trolling around this forum lately trying to get ideas. Does anyone have any personal experience or tips they would share for a first time builder? Here are the details so far-

Stand alone 120v and 12v systems. Powered from aux battery and solar trickle. Plenty of interior and exterior lights. Powered fan in rear.

Insulated with r30 in walls. R15 and 1in sub floor for my floor.

Full stereo/surround with tv and subwoofer.

hein

Van Guru
Thanks for posting. Please keep updating. Van looks sweet with the box on it and your layout looks cozy.

dodger413

there is a Promasterforum.com

even the layout is similar to here, but different colors.

posts are sparse there, other than complaints about squeaking brakes, and squealing suspension.

there is at least one rv conversion, but it is a Ducato in Europe.

Perhaps you can gain advice, ideas there.

surlyoldbill

Ryan, I've been interested in the Ram Master as a replacemnt for my aging T1N. couple questions:
-What did you use to get R30 in the walls? I thought there was only 2" of insulatable space.
-From the spec sheet, it looks like there should be 6' of space side-to-side inside, so us short people can actually SLEEP that way (my T1N is just a few inches too narrow for it to work for me). What is the ACTUAL interior width?
-Do you have the diesel with the auto-manual tranny? If so, what is your impresion of the tranny and it's shifting?
-There is some debate concerning the rear axle ground clearance. I measured one at a lot and it was between 6.25 and 6.5" all the way across. Someone else mentioned 7.5-8". What is the clearance on your van?

thanks!

RyanJNelson

To get the ~r30 when I built the walls to square everything up as best I could I actually ended up with probably 8in in most areas and as few as 4 in some other.

I'm 6ft and I can sleep side to side with very little to spare. The bed is somewhat larger than a queen. Not sure actual dimensions as I've closed it up.

I have the gas engine auto tranny. I'm getting 18 mpg currently. If you get a diesel dodge limits your warranty.

And yes the rear ground clearance can't be more than 6in. This isn't a problem for us because 90% of our driving will be highway. Plus the fwd is nice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RyanJNelson

By the way, if you were taller say 6'2" maybe 6'3" you could sacrifice your insulation area and gain the added length.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I am sure other Sprinter owners are interested in your Promaster. Please keep us informed as you get more experience with it. You certainly are making progress with the conversion. One major advantage of the Promaster is the wider rear width.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I spotted a class B for sale at camperworld today. Just drove by and noticed it on the lot.

RyanJNelson

There will be a ladder to the roof. Also you can't see in the picture but i have two bike racks on other side of the box.

RyanJNelson

Here is the final wall panel (to be skinned and finished with a 50mm sanded ply). I measured from side to side with insulation and 1/2 osb I still have a bed that measures 6'3"x5'4", that's just shy of a queen size bed. If you notice the finished panel will run side to side completely flush. It will be super clean. Anyone have any suggestions on tiling an area this big? It's about 6x4.

RyanJNelson

Ours is the 118" wheel base and the short roof. Went this way because with the longer wheel base it's harder to drive in the city and with the higher roof plus our bikes we would have been over the DOT 13'6" regulations.

Thanks for pictures and info. :cheers:

... Anyone have any suggestions on tiling an area this big? It's about 6x4.
Floor tile? Vinyl?

The only comment which I have is that depending upon sub floor the self stick tiles don't always hold so great. I'd think that over time they might be a problem with the changing ambient conditions experienced in a van.

I could be wrong. Anyone have experience with self stick tiles in a van?

Sorry for the highjack if you didn't mean floor tile.

... with the higher roof plus our bikes we would have been over the DOT 13'6" regulations.

How close to the 13' 6" are you? From the cables I've seen hanging off some sailboats after road transport I think that many communication companies consider 13' 6" a suggestion rather than a rule. A mast butt or bow pulpit is up to the challenge. I don't know if a bike will prevail unharmed. :2cents:

vic

vic

RyanJNelson

I was thinking of a stone tile as a wall covering on passenger side. Specifically if the flex of the van would be an iss u e with stone that doesn't flex. I'd like to do a mosaic of some sort. Also any opinions on the added weight of stone tile? I want this van to be super nice and stand out in some ways. For the floor I will go with a glue down vinyl of some sort.

Probably around 11-12 ft with bikes which at least for the short term will be stored there 24-7.

73shark

2011 AS Interstate (sold)
Besides the added weight, you'd be raising the cog since you are putting them on the side. Just a thought.

I was thinking of a stone tile as a wall covering on passenger side. Specifically if the flex of the van would be an iss u e with stone that doesn't flex. I'd like to do a mosaic of some sort. Also any opinions on the added weight of stone tile? I want this van to be super nice and stand out in some ways. For the floor I will go with a glue down vinyl of some sort.

Probably around 11-12 ft with bikes which at least for the short term will be stored there 24-7.

I have nothing specific.

I will say that in my experience boats, vans, and RV trailers weight always seems to sneak up on you. You really want to be thinking about what can be done to minimize weight and still do what you want. To do otherwise may soon have you running over weight.

There are some lighter products which do a good job of impersonating stone.

vic

RyanJNelson

uploadfromtaptalk1398360026561.jpg

A.couple more pictures. Not much progress in last week. Did get our "scuba locker"(for all our diving equipment) completely waterproofed. Ceiling and vent are the next on the list. Anyone have experience with the maxx air? I want to get the vent first then add the fan later.

pfflyer

No problems so far with mine so far. Love the fact I can drive with it open and not having to worry if I closed it.

Top Bottom