Rivnut`s?

Has anyone used Rivnut`s in the installation of their van walls? I`m considering using 1/4 inch birch plywood covered in a weave fabric and the Rivnut option to me seem better than sheet metal screws to me. I was also going to mount some L track to the side walls, are Rivnut`s strong enough for tie down use and mounting the van`s walls? Thanks.

Paul_E_D

Rivnuts are waaaaay stronger than sheet metal screws. A bit of extra work, but worth it if you have your van gutted anyway.

Paul_E_D

That said, I mounted the 1/4 birch ply in my van with sheet metal screws! I finally broke down and bought the rivnut tool to mount board hanging eybolts. Wasn't going to trust that to sheet metal screws. I may remount the ply someday...

ehallspqr

Depending on the application and how many attachments your talking, the rivnuts are an all around better solution. If what you want held requires allot of strength or holding power your better off going with rivnuts. They do require a bit of skill and there's a learning curve but once mastered it isn't really that much more effort than prepping for a pop-rivit or sheet metal screw. Rivnuts are also relatively expensive if your doing allot of them.

I found that for low strength applications like fastening wall sheeting, sheet metal screw or pop-rivets work just fine. For keeping sheet metal screws from vibration loose, a bit of builders cement on the screw threads locks them down tight against backing out over time.

PaulDavis

I've used Penn Inserts (similar to rivnuts but a bit "better" in a few ways) for all my structural attachments to the walls, and self-drilling screws for everything else. 8000 miles later, things are all good.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
I extensively used 5/16”-18 knurled rivnuts in my conversion and as many other folks on this forum used this tool. Just makes sure that correct diameter holes are drilled. This was one of the best tools for my conversion. I did not use the prebulbed style which are good for thin sheet metal and very good for plastics. With 5/16”-18 knurled rivnuts I never had a mishap of spinning.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TODXQW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

George.

Attachments

chain55105

I am currently using/installing 1/4 20 size rivnuts to attach panels as well as 80/20 rails. I have been using a hand tool. I have to squeeze hard but it works fine. Rivnuts give a lot of flexibility if you want to change or add something later.

My first choice was plusnuts. They are stronger but require a more expensive tool. You also need more room behind the sheet metal. My reason for not using plusnuts is my van was an expanded foamed "reject". There is so much foam it made it into the light fixtures and even the plug connections. I did not want to carve away the foam for every plusnut. The rivnuts are doing well for my situation as they do not require so much empty space behind the sheet metal.

d_bertko

Are the hand tools strong enough for the steel rivnuts? or do i need the air tool for installation? thanks.
I put around 200 rivnuts in by hand and that was using a more difficult two-wrench tool. Zero problem with reaching the correct crush depth on the rivnuts.

Doing by hand was a little wearing but I got excellent feedback to what constituted the ideal amount to tighten. An air tool would certainly be quicker but for a first-timer like me slower was useful in that I did not make any mistakes.

Plenty of searchable posts here. Some prefer plusnuts but I have ten years of use now without a single rivnut loosening or otherwise failing.

Dan

surlyoldbill

I have this combo rivet-rivnut tool I bought at Harbor Freight about 10+ years ago. It uses aluminum nuts with a steel core, and works great. They don't sell the nuts anymore as far as I can tell, but I bought a lot of them when they did have them. Because the outside is just aluminum, I learned to notch the hole after I drilled it so the aluminum wouldn't spin under load.

Are the hand tools strong enough for the steel rivnuts? or do i need the air tool for installation? thanks.
I have used this type tool for about 10 years. I dont do a lot of rivnuts or I would have invested in an air tool.

It WILL do the steel rivnuts but it is a lot of effort to get them started. I found it is helpful to keep the bolt threads well lubricated with a synthetic motor oil to reduce friction and wear on both the tool's bolt and the rivnut during the installation.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Plus-nut and similar "two wrench" tool.

PlusNutTool.jpg

The Freightliner dealer used Rivnuts to attach the optional rear-door assist handles.
One bolt was loose upon delivery (spun nut), thus making it impossible to either tighten or remove the bolt (in an effort to use a proper tool for additional tightening). :idunno:

--dick

rmr1

Just found this today.

Couldn't find any reviews on it. It's new this year.

Someone try it and let me know if it's any good. :tongue::lol:

Astro Pneumatic (9910) Multipurpose Electric Nut Riveting Kit for Nut Riveter, Drilling and Screwdriver
by Astro Pneumatic Tool
List Price: $450.00
Price: $225.21 & FREE Shipping. Details
You Save: $224.79 (50%)

Top Bottom