Some "Basic" Tips for Posting on Sprinter-source

Here's some basic information that may be useful for those new to the forum.

Note: This is basic stuff and repeats information already on the site. There are links to more detailed VBulletin operations mentioned in some of the posts below.

Adding Pictures and Attachments to your Posting

There are times when you may want to add pictures to your posts. It can be done by linking to other sites, but then the pictures will generally go away after a time or the site will restrict access for Sprinter-source because of too many hits. If the pictures are important to the thread information then they should be loaded to Sprinter-source so they don't go away.

This is one way to do it.

Scroll down the page until you see "Manage Attachments"

000manage.jpg

Click on it. You should then see this screen. If you click "Browse" then it will take you to your personal computer files.

000Browse.jpg

Once you are browsing in your personal files then you just search around until you you can click on the attachment you want to add. You can add up to 5 attachments per post. (Just add another post for more pics than 5.) After all the pics up to 5 that you want are added then you click on Upload. After they have loaded, some of the browse buttons will go away. If you are done, then click "Close this window". If you still want to add more attachments then click an open Browse button to keep the process going.

To access the pictures you attached just go to the top of the text box and click the Paperclip.

000paperclip.jpg

Once you click it there will be a drop down listing the attachments. First postion your cursor in the text box where you want the first picture to show up. Then you can click on each attachment to place them at the cursor where you want them in the post. If you just load attachments and don't put them where you want, the site default will place them all below your text.

If your pictures (attachments) are too big they will not be uploaded and you will get information about how big they actually are. You will need to reduce them enough to let them be accepted. After some trials you will figure out what works.

Most all printer programs come with some sort of photo editor. Most all PC's have Paint or some other basic program which will work. I usually leave the original file as is by just adding a "sm" (without the quotes, for small) to the reduced file name when I save it. That way you can return to the original file if the changes weren't what you liked.

A couple different descriptions of using Microsoft Paint to re-size pictures.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Resize-a-picture-using-Paint

http://www.wikihow.com/Resize-an-Image-in-Microsoft-Paint
Breaking the Quote Box into Sections to Answer Posts

Go to a post and click the "Reply" link. When you look at the formatting, you should notice that all things done with the text begin with something between these [ ]. When you want that special function to stop it ends with those same brackets by including forward slash in front of it like this [/ ].

So if you click the quote link for this post, when the reply box appears, you will see that it begins with QUOTE=Aqua Puttana; and a post number between [ ]. The quote box of Aqua Puttana stops when /QUOTE is seen between [ ] at the very end. Any text before or after those [ ] format triggers will not be shown within the quote box.

When I wish to break up someone's quote to answer in sections I first hit the reply link for the quote.

Once the reply box is shown I copy the beginning [ ] with name and post number. I then go down through the post and create breaks using the return key where needed.

After that I go back and paste the [ ] name/post information at the beginning of the breaks which I created.

I then type or copy a /QUOTE between [ ] to set the end points of the various boxes. Actually I've found that when you try to copy that /QUOTE from the end of a text it often grabs a couple preceding characters which aren't wanted. If you put a space between then that problem goes away. Anyway, I nextpaste those to end each quote box. That sets my spaces between quote boxes to add my reply information.

There may be quicker ways to do it, but that's what I've figured out to do on my own.

Because Mean in Green once pointed out that quoting an entire post adds lots of extra space and extra overhead to replies, I have employed the "..." to shorten/keep my answering posts from becoming (even more) too long.

So if you look at a reply box you will see that a color begins between [ ] and end with /a color between [ ] . Same goes for strikeout, bold, underline, and most other text formatting.

Have fun. vic

Last edited:

mendonsy

Re: Some Tips for Posting on Sprinter-source

And ...... Edit your Signature under Quick Links, User Control Panel to include the year and model information about your Sprinter so we don't have to ask.

And ...... Edit your Signature under Quick Links, User Control Panel to include the year and model information about your Sprinter so we don't have to ask.
Thanks. That's a very good thing to include here.:thumbup::thumbup:

A Canned Posting Add-on

Please take the time to add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!! It's easy to do. It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

Here's how to do it.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
After you are logged in click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right corner.
On the left side under "Your Profile" click on "Edit your Details".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type the information.
I suggest “Vehicle year – NAFTA or 311, etc.” depending upon your location.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.

Another place is in your "Signature".
Click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right.
On the left look for "Setting and Options".
Click on "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in the information you want.
I NAFTA NAS (N. American Spec) 2004 OM647 140 2500 Std Roof >260,000 mi. Paint=Arctic Whitewash, DAD. If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.

I don’t know what objection anyone could have to adding their model year and Sprinter detail information permanently. (You don’t need to include your location.) Consider it this way. Members of the forum will try to help you. Do you think that it is fair for one to expect anyone to dig up your vehicle information before they reply? You only need to add the info once using the guide above and you’re done. Sorry if I'm being too straightforward for some.

Can't see Signature and Avatar Info?

Go to Quick Links in the blue bar above.
Click "Edit Options".
Scroll to "Thread Display Options".
Look to see if "Show Signatures" and "Show Avatars" are checked.
Click on them if not.
Go down to "Save Changes".

Thanks. vic

Last edited:

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
Relocate "Some Tips for Posting on Sprinter-Source"?

Vic,

I think that this thread might better serve the Sprinter-Forum if it were in the Sprinter Talk section, either as a 'Sticky', or in the FAQ thread.

Thanks very much for the info on how to insert pics between the text sections. I couldn't figure that one out by myself. :thinking:

Also, once you insert 'returns' to split up a quoted reply, you only need to type the QUOTE & /QUOTE between [ ] at the beginning & end of each quoted section you want to 'isolate'. i.e. there is no need to include the original poster & post # info. It's a small point, but it allows you to simply copy a QUOTE between [ ] & then paste it at the beginning and end of each section, adding a / at the end of each quoted section.

Re: Relocate "Some Tips for Posting on Sprinter-Source"?

Vic,

I think that this thread might better serve the Sprinter-Forum if it were in the Sprinter Talk section, either as a 'Sticky', or in the FAQ thread.
That would be a Sikwan call.

...Also, once you insert 'returns' to split up a quoted reply, you only need to type the QUOTE & /QUOTE between [ ] at the beginning & end of each quoted section you want to 'isolate'. i.e. there is no need to include the original poster & post # info. It's a small point, but it allows you to simply copy a QUOTE between [ ] & then paste it at the beginning and end of each section, adding a / at the end of each quoted section.
Thanks for the tip. You can also go more directly to manage attachments by clicking on the paperclip (use the blue box within it if there are already loaded items). I figured the longer procedure was best to highlight for new users. vic

Last edited:

A step-by-step for using Picasa, a free Google photo editor. Thanks goes to Graphite Dave.:thumbup:

Upload pictures:

1. Download free Picasa from Google.
2. Take pictures.
3. Remove media chip from camera.
4. Put chip into corresponding media slot in computer.
5. Click on "import" in upper left corner in Picasa.
6. "Import from" appears in upper left.
7. Select your media chip type from drop down list.
8. Your photos will appear on page.
9. Click on the photos you want to upload. They will be highlighted.
10. Fill in a name for the group of photos you have selected.
11. Click on "photos selected"
12. Photos will be imported into a folder titled with the name.
13. Photos will not import into Sprinter-Forum because they have too many pixels.
14. In order to reduce the number of pixels, click on "file" in Picasa menu.
15. Select "Export to folder"
16. Select "resize"
17. Type in "640" pixels.
18. Click "export' at the bottom.
19. Both the original and 640 copy are placed in MS "pictures" 640 picture has -001 in title.
20. In Sprinter-Forum post writing form, click on paper clip.
21. Browse to your find your file. Click on it and it will upload.

The original post/thread is here.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=203965#post203965

mendonsy

I stole this useful piece of information directly from one of Vic's posts.
Add your vehicle info to all your posts automatically!!!!! It will help you to get answers. Thank you.

Here's how to do it.

The most direct method is probably in your "Details".
After you are logged in click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right corner.
On the left side under "Your Profile" click on "Edit your Details".
Scroll down to the "Custom User Title" box.
Click in that box and type the information.
I suggest “Vehicle year – NAFTA or 311, etc.” depending upon your location.
Scroll down to the "Save Changes" box. Click on that and you are done.

Another place is in your "Signature".
Click on "Private Messages" (or “Quick Links”) in the upper right.
On the left look for "Setting and Options".
Click on "Edit Signature".
Scroll down to the text box which looks like what you use to add a post to the forum. Type in the information you want.
I used “NAFTA 2004 OM647 140 2500 Std Roof >240,000 mi. DAD”
Scroll down to "Preview Signature". If the preview looks like what you want, scroll down to "Save Signature", click on that and you're done.

Have fun. vic

There's some things that I have learned about sending members to posts/threads as a source of information. The methods are probably covered elsewhere, but I'll try to provide a quick overview.

The easy way to provide a link for a specific post is to first click on the Post Number in the upper right corner.

0000NumberCorner.JPG

That will take you to just that post. You then copy the link information (notice the link contains the post number), paste it to your new message box and it will become a clickable link.

Should you click a provided post number specific link and want to get to the entire thread you can use the link in the upper right (green arrow). Clicking on that should take you to the original thread in a new window.

00001OrigThreadSm.JPG

That green arrow link also provides a way to send people to a specific post number, but it then will also take them to the entire thread which is more convenient for the user. To do that you click the green arrow link to open the new window. I then expand the window to full size (if necessary), I check to make certain that I'm still on the desired post, and then copy the link above to paste in my message box. It takes a bit more effort, but it then takes people to the post wanted and the entire thread.

00002PostWithinSm.JPG

A heads up. From comments made by others, the specific post within the thread method is not easily done with personal handheld devices (Ipod Touch, Ipod, etc.).

I lost image quality because I'm away from my normal computer and edit programs. :bash: Here's the starter link for those that may want to step through and actually be able to see what I described.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?p=217496#post217496

There may be better options for doing the above. I just outlined what I've figured out over time. vic

You can go to quoted posts by just clicking the arrow box that follows the quote name. This feature is especially useful for long threads where a quote from earlier on pops up.

ArrowClick.jpg

vic

mikesprints

Thanks for the tips

I tried to upload a screenshot which was a png.file It wouldn't take as the file manager states "file size limits exceeds 900X0"?

Other ways to upload from my computer? I have the linked process down but sometimes individual pages with info are not web accessible. Screenshots would be a good work around and mostly png.files.

Mike

mikesprints

Thanks for the tips

I tried to upload a screenshot which was a png.file It wouldn't take as the file manager states "file size limits exceeds 900X0"?

Other ways to upload from my computer? I have the linked process down but sometimes individual pages with info are not web accessible. Screenshots would be a good work around and mostly png.files.

Mike[/QUOTE

Bump. On a Mac, I'm not having luck re sizing photos. Just have the crop tool in I-photo. Anyone got a way they know of?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Thanks for the tips

Mike
The file has to be *smaller* than 900 pixels wide (and smaller than 500 kilobytes).

I make my usual offer of reformatting it for you.
Send it to rseymour(at)wolfenet.com, and please either remind me what thread to post it in, if you'd like me to do it. Otherwise (or "either way"), i'll send the reduced copy back to you, too.

Bump. On a Mac, I'm not having luck re sizing photos. Just have the crop tool in I-photo. Anyone got a way they know of?
I do it under Windows with Paint :smilewink:
Can you get Picasa as an app?

--dick

Thanasis

This is how I upload photos from my mac:
1. If the photo is not in iPhoto I import it to it ( File - Import )
2. Once in iPhoto I export it ( File - Export) with parameters: Quality set to high and Size set to small.
The resulting file is suitable to upload to sprinter-source

mikesprints

This is how I upload photos from my mac:
1. If the photo is not in iPhoto I import it to it ( File - Import )
2. Once in iPhoto I export it ( File - Export) with parameters: Quality set to high and Size set to small.
The resulting file is suitable to upload to sprinter-source
Thanks! I have never used the export in iPhoto.

So how does that work when I hit the attachment button? Should I export to a folder 1st if I have more than one photo?

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Because I want the full 900 pixels we are limited to I actually put the photo on the desktop and then open it in Preview on the Mac and choose Adjust Size under the Tools menu. I choose 900 pixels and then I save the photo. To upload I click the Manage button in the advanced message editing, looks like a paper clip. I then add the photos from the desktop by dragging them to the Choose File button in the Manage Attachments dialog. When I hit upload the images are available to me in the pop-down menu next to the paper clip. I insert them into my message and organize specific text around them describing why the photo is there.

There is a limit to the number of photos, but thanks to the 900 px limit I am far away from it. The Airstream group I post about my Sky Deck in will scale the images but keeps the original size. I am about to max that group out as each of my pics is 8 meg...

-Randy

Thanasis

Thanks! I have never used the export in iPhoto.

So how does that work when I hit the attachment button? Should I export to a folder 1st if I have more than one photo?
Yes. First export all the photos you want to upload to the forum (as described) to a folder of your choice, just remember which one.
Then once in the forum, when you click on the attachment button, a box pops up prompting you to select up to 5 "Choose File to upload". Click on the 1st Choose file to upload and this will take you to the finder. Navigate to the folder you saved the exports, highlight the file to upload and click open at the bottom/right of the screen.
Repeat the steps for all your files and finally click upload
Good luck!

mikesprints

Yup got it. Exported file of several photos to desktop as the filename, no thumbnail and loaded individually. Lots of clicking!

Because I want the full 900 pixels we are limited to I actually put the photo on the desktop and then open it in Preview on the Mac and choose Adjust Size under the Tools menu. I choose 900 pixels and then I save the photo. To upload I click the Manage button in the advanced message editing, looks like a paper clip. I then add the photos from the desktop by dragging them to the Choose File button in the Manage Attachments dialog. When I hit upload the images are available to me in the pop-down menu next to the paper clip. I insert them into my message and organize specific text around them describing why the photo is there.

There is a limit to the number of photos, but thanks to the 900 px limit I am far away from it. The Airstream group I post about my Sky Deck in will scale the images but keeps the original size. I am about to max that group out as each of my pics is 8 meg...

-Randy
Will try this next time. Really when am I going to go take a class on getting the most out of the Mac?! :roll eyes:

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
The other good thing about using PREVIEW.APP to resize is that it you can open a whole collection of images and limit all of them to 900 pixels in one fell swoop. You don't have to do them one at a time.

Speaking of which, there is a way around the forum's "five pictures per post" limit:
The restriction isn't really # of pictures shown in a given post, it is merely the number you can upload during a single post. So, a good procedure is to create a forum picture album (Click on "User CP" ->"Pictures & Albums"). Make yourself an album with all your pictures in it. Then you can include as many of these pictures as you like in a single post. If you click on an image in your album and scroll down, you will see a field labelled "BB Code". Copy its contents and past them into your post. This will cause the image to appear at that point in your post. It is nice to have an album with all your pics in it anyway.

Top Bottom