Clunk, Clunk. Ball Joint or Rack n Pinion?

salmonsez

2003 140" SHC
Greetings,

I could use some help diagnosing an issue.

My '03 makes a terrible clunking noise when going over a significant bump...like a pothole or some other bumpy road that is uneven. The clunk seems to be most significant when the van rocks slightly side to side. It doesn't matter the speed at which the bump is taken. On a fairly even, bumpy gravel road there is no noise.

Took it to a mechanic who diagnosed a rack & pinion issue (steering column makes a clunking sound when turned while on the rack) and a ball joint replacement.

Did some research here and found (thanks Dr. A!) a tech advisory regarding the amount and type of appropriate play. So helpful! I read the relevant portions to my mechanic.

He checked the stabilizer bar, shock-absorber struts, springs and their attachments. All good. He says there is less than 3 mil lateral (side to side) play, but at least 6 mil vertical (up & down) movement, which is what concerned him. The boot looks fine.

It seems, from what I've read, that the vertical movement is irrelevant, but if that's the case why the clunking noise only when compression seems to be lifted for a moment?

Could it all be coming from the steering rack??

Any thoughts on this? :thinking:

Thanks!

salmonsez

2003 140" SHC
Check your power steering level fluid FIRST.
I just went through this.
Thanks, I'll do that, esp since it just developed a new symptom that made me think "power steering fluid". I turned a hard corner, into a parking lot, and there was a lot of drag in the turn and a small vibration in the wheel. Ahhh, if only it turns out to be that simple!

surlyoldbill

Thanks, I'll do that, esp since it just developed a new symptom that made me think "power steering fluid". I turned a hard corner, into a parking lot, and there was a lot of drag in the turn and a small vibration in the wheel. Ahhh, if only it turns out to be that simple!
I replaced struts (needed it anyway), then tie rods and ends, then ball joints. All were probably due, so now I have peace of mind. I checked my fluid level as the clunking continued, and the side-to-side push/pull of the wheel was still clunking. It was a half cup or so low. Topping it off removed all symptoms after maybe 50 miles of driving. I'm going to flush and refill soon, because the fluid looked pretty brown and old.
Mopar ATF+4 for the 2003, according to the manual. Luckily it didn't call for some kind of whale oil or other Mercedes specialty.

If it's low on fluid maybe it leaked...

LucasPS.jpg

It is absolutely, positively not MB approved on BEVO for a Sprinter. :eek:

I used it to top off over a year ago. My Sprinter doesn't leak and didn't self destruct. FWIW. vic

Last edited:

salmonsez

2003 140" SHC
Ok, checked the power steering fluid and its very low. This could be the problem after all.

I've only had the vehicle about 3 weeks so have no idea what type of fluid is in it now. It seems like mixing fluids is a bad idea, but then some others indicate it's not critical. There doesn't appear to be any type of leak, though I did read that at least one person may have had a leak and it was filling a boot, thus didn't make it to the ground.

Wondering what I should put in it until I'm able to do a flush? Sounds like the Lucas might be the way to go...that way, if there is a leak it's stopping it, plus the fluid doesn't seem like it would hurt anything...??

surlyoldbill

Ok, checked the power steering fluid and its very low. This could be the problem after all.

I've only had the vehicle about 3 weeks so have no idea what type of fluid is in it now. It seems like mixing fluids is a bad idea, but then some others indicate it's not critical. There doesn't appear to be any type of leak, though I did read that at least one person may have had a leak and it was filling a boot, thus didn't make it to the ground.

Wondering what I should put in it until I'm able to do a flush? Sounds like the Lucas might be the way to go...that way, if there is a leak it's stopping it, plus the fluid doesn't seem like it would hurt anything...??
I had no visible leak, either. I topped off with ATF+4 (O'Reilly brand), since I'm going to change the fluid soon. I'll steam clean and look for a leak. If it's leaking anywhere, it's above the rack in the area where the EGR usually drips, and I never noticed.

My trusted mechanic who has much more experience than I do with using Lucas Stop Leak swears by the stuff.

To the best of my knowledge rebuild parts are not available for the Sprinter steering rack. It gets replaced as a complete assembly. After learning that then my thought was, what do I have to lose? (I know... the power steering pump, but that hasn't happened after a year and many miles. :hmmm:)

It all comes down on your shoulders. It's your decision. Good luck. vic

salmonsez

2003 140" SHC
Thought I should give a little update here, in case it's useful to anyone else.

I took the Lucas Stopleak route on the steering fluid. After doing some additional research I felt pretty confident it may actually help the issue and probably wouldn't hurt.

After about 200 miles the clanking sound was still present, though the steering column shudder went away.

I decided to go ahead and have the ball joints and sway bar ends replaced. Even if it didn't help the situation I figured at 174,000 it wasn't a bad idea anyway. Unfortunately, the clanking is still present.

I've had three mechanics look at it and it seems to be a mystery. No one can find anything loose under the rig, however all those eyes and ears did help determine there are a couple different sounds. One, as it turns out, is a leaf spring...it appears the former owner may have carried more weight on one side than the other for an extended period because one set of leaf springs has less space between them than the other side, thus one of the clanking sounds. This one happens when the van rocks side to side over a bump.

However, the main sound that has had me concerned is still undiagnosed. Although it's a heavy clanking sound, it's also almost like a rattle...a deep heavy rattle. it seems to be coming from the center of the vehicle just behind the driver/passenger seats. It sure SOUNDS like something is loose. Weird.

If I come up with anything new I'll post since it sure seems like there's plenty of posts attempting to diagnose mysterious noises and maybe someone else will gain from this experience.

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
After about 200 miles the clanking sound was still present, though the steering column shudder went away.

I decided to go ahead and have the ball joints and sway bar ends replaced. Even if it didn't help the situation I figured at 174,000 it wasn't a bad idea anyway. Unfortunately, the clanking is still present.
Has anyone mentioned the front leaf spring or looked at it? Since it's composite and not steel, it's prone to crack if it has been offroaded or overloaded.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
that location suggests the front traverse spring , although my first thought before that was a loose caliper or tie-rod ends

pgrcorp

Sprinter Parts Importer
Mine does make that sound, but I think is from the shaft between the steering wheel and the steering rack.
I will try to take a picture of it for better understanding.

surlyoldbill

Again, After replacing tie rods, struts, ball joints, and inspecting brakes, it turned out to be low steering fluid for me.

Clanking when going over bumps.

powderhound

Hello Salmonsez, I just cam across this post and I am wondering if I have been puzzling over the same problem relating to a front-end knock, ping-poing, popcorn sound...hehe...

The link bellow is from about a year ago...we've since replaced front shocks & mounts/bushings, sway-bar links, verified power steering fluid. All to no avail. The damn knock is still there.

I'm happy to hear that replacing ball-joints didn't fix the issue, as that was my next troubleshooting step. I'll still plan on doing that sometime, but we are full-timers and I've learned to not fix what isn't broken, unless it is a critical preventative maintenance item. We are at 193,000 miles now...doing well.

So....I'm wondering if what you are/were hearing is consistent to what we are hearing. There are two videos in the post linked below. The sound is obvious. Please let me know if this is what you are dealing with. Thank you for at least validating what has been driving me bonkers for 3 years!

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35819

-Rich

nutterbutter

2004 LTV Free Spirit T1N
I have the knocking in the front end as well. Been that way since I bought the LTV with 76k on it.

Changing bump stops to timbren: didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Installing new KYB front struts with the new KYB strut mount bushings. (The KYB are cheaper than mercedes).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C9MREK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

Made it a lot better, but still knocking sometimes. Felt quite a bit on washboard dirt roads.

I've wondered if it is the metal of the two sides of the strut mount bushings making contact with each other. (I've mostly thought it was the ball joints, but the tech alert says no).

My previous set of tires had about the most perfectly even wear pattern I've ever experienced, so most likely suspension is good.

Top Bottom