Basement addition

REK

Anyone ever done or heard of somone adding the "basement" as in the LTV in a sprinter conversion van like a Roadtrek RS and then using a continental spare tire rig at the back of the van? I could use the extra space.

What Next

The basement is the main reason I have an LTV. It's full, spare parts, Weber Baby Q ,extra bag chair, tool box, odds and ends. Sure keeps the clutter down inside. Good Luck

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
The "basement" in my LTV is great. If you want to do it on another model, keep in mind that LTV does not mount the spare on the door hinges like so many tire kits do. They're concerned that the weight will harm the hinges over time. Their kit includes a bottom-mount spare tire mount, where the upright folds down to the rear in order to allow the door to open.

I've also seen a picture of their inner spare tire cover that lets the spare be used as a table when folded down -- I don't have one, yet, but it's a clever idea.

In addition to all the carrying space in the basement, I also carry a 20' sewer hose, holding tank cleanout "swizzle" hose and a spare water hose coiled up inside the spare tire rim and held in with bungi cords.

Like What Next, I carry a Weber Gas Go Anywhere grill, tool box, small vacuum cleaner, assorted extra "stuff" and even my satellite dish and tripod (disassembled, of course) in the basement box.

Zach Woods

Howdy -

You have me intrigued . . .

I believe I found a picture of the LTV rear spare (in upright position - on the LTV website) but I have yet to track down a picture of the basement.

I am wondering about how possible it would be to add either of these to any other Sprinter.

Do you have pictures of the spare tire and basement? Detail images showing how they are mounted and function?

Thanks in advance!

B A Drew

Zach,

I've been to the Sportsmobile shop in Austin, TX. There, I saw them preparing a basement -- a custom fit metal box -- on a 2004 model Sprinter. It's very far aft -- behind the rear axle -- in the volume where the spare tire mounts beneath. It had about an 18" square access trap door in the floor above.

I've got to believe that the Westfalia's bathroom would be directly above it, and that the generator already occupies that volume if I recall correctly.

I'd be interested if anyone had photos or drawings of Sprinter undersides -- especially the Westfalia (since I own one). There might be other opportunities for open volumes beneath the floor, and I wouldn't mind knowing about them.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
I must say, you certainly make good use of that basement. We have a bunch of stuff in the basement. A 1-burner camp stove, stove fuel, leveling blocks and chocks, water hoses, a folding shovel..

We recently bought folding emergency triangles. At first I had them in the basement but I want to find someplace where they can be very readily accessible, like in a bracket somewhere. I understand the stock Sprinter has a bracket behind the driver's seat for triangles but that won't work on a Free Spirit.

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
I must say, you certainly make good use of that basement. We have a bunch of stuff in the basement. A 1-burner camp stove, stove fuel, leveling blocks and chocks, water hoses, a folding shovel..

We recently bought folding emergency triangles. At first I had them in the basement but I want to find someplace where they can be very readily accessible, like in a bracket somewhere. I understand the stock Sprinter has a bracket behind the driver's seat for triangles but that won't work on a Free Spirit.
Accessibility is the biggest problem. I don't keep anything in there I might need while going down the road. I have the electric sofa layout, so under the sofa, on top of the basement access, I keep a folding woven vinyl patio carpet, 4 folding canvas chairs, and a plastic folding patio table. When we stop somewhere, all that comes out, and then the basement is fully accessible. However, I only set up the satellite dish if we're going to be somewhere more than overnight, and they don't have cable access as part of the hookup.

What Next

Re: spare tire mount

spare tire basement 001.jpg
I hope this is a picture of spare tire.
spare tire basement 002.jpg
This should be a close up of how it is bolted to hitch draw bar. LTV also makes a model with a spring so tire is very easy to raise.

What Next

Re: Basement

spare tire basement 009.jpg
Here is the location under rear sofa. The opening is 20by24 The compartment is 24 by 32 and 13" deep
spare tire basement 012.jpg
This is what I keep in it
spare tire basement 013.jpg
This is the underside.

Attachments

Zach Woods

Howdy What Next -

Thanks for posting those great pictures! Very clear how the "basement" and rear spare work.

B A Drew -

I will have to try to take some pictures of my Westfalia undersides (and/ or draw up a diagram). I am also curious about what spaces might be available.

Depending on where the generator is (need to bump the above pictures/ diagram up on the to do list . . .) a basement could still work given that there is already the under bathroom storage space in the Westy.

Zach

Don Horner

2012 Unity IB
What is that rear seat you have? It looks like it folds into a bed.

pgr
I happen to have some pictures of that. His is cloth and mine is leather/vinyl, but they work exactly the same way.

In the first picure of the sofa, the small seats that are just visible to left and right serve as dinette seats for two people with the table in the center; another one or two people could sit on the sofa and use the table.

In the picture of the bed, the sofa has been unfolded (electrically), the table has been placed between the dinette seats, and the back cusions from the dinette seats have been placed on the table. The result is 68" x 75", wider than a Queen Size (almost King Size) but a little shorter than a Queen. I'm 6' and my DW is 5'9" and we're both comfortable.

Queen size fitted sheets work well, they aren't stretched perfectly tight but the bottom sheet doesn't pull loose. I put the top corners of the sheet on the back of the sofa and then lower it; then I lift each dinette seat (there is storage under, all the linens and pillows fit under one seat) and fit the bottom corners on each cushion.

We do not have a mattress pad, and have never been bothered by the cracks in the cushions. We are both early risers and have slept as late as 10:00 am because we were so comfortable.

Attachments

What Next

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=469
Thanks for posting those pictures Don. I use a Travasak, bed is made in a minute. I do wish it was a little wider. You are right about the bed being comfortable.
If link does not work go to rvupgradestore and look under bedroom.

jimmyparky

Can you buy that sofa seperately? It'd be great to replace the stock bench. Where can I get that and it it easily installed?

James

Diesel

Hello Gentlemen,
I have a Gulfstream Vista Cruiser G-24. I am struggling with lack of space since I am in the process of Full Time RVing. I am thinking of adding the basement, however, I do have a generator that is under the vehicle. I am concerned that with a basement, it would get in the way of being able to check the oil of the generator and doing any type of maintenance on it. What opinion do you all have about this?? I am also without a spare tire and if I was to add one later, it would probably be set on the door hinges which I have some concerns about that. Such as being a bad place for a spare due to hinges and weight consideration.
Also . . . . what I may do instead of a basement is to set up storage pods on top of the vehicle. Does anyone have experience with this?? I found some by thule, which are hard shells, and another by Rain X, which are flexible canvass type bags. My concern would be how it might affect my great fuel economy (20+ MPG). What's the consensus out there??

eurocampers

eurocampers.com
There really hasn't been any issues with the hinge mounted spare tire carrier. We have sold hundreds of these over the past 4 years and zero problems. We also offer the Aluminess carrier, but that is for the 2007-2009 models and it's close to $700. The 2001-2006 hinge mounted carrier is much less.

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5005779

I think anything you add to your roof will increase drag and reduce your mileage.

Steve
EuroCampers.com

What Next

Diesel your concerns with the generator and basement are valid but on the LTV you can check and change oil but any major service requires that the generator be dropped.
Here are a couple of picture of a box I put on my LTV. It is on a hinge so it swings around and I can open door, I put the grill on top of it when at camp. I manage to keep all the outside stuff I need to set up camp in so I don't have to open back door and let in weather or bugs.

Attachments

Top Bottom