problem with my 312D 1998 :thinking:

manni

hi guys can u all help me i've been racking my brain off for weeks??

i've got a 312d 1998 sprinter mwb
and the problem is it won't accelrate propely it goes up 2 about 60 to 70 mph and then you feel it pull back on you and wont go any faster. depending on if you going up hill or down hill it will lose power at different speeds.

but then even in lower speeds from 0 to 50mph the pick up power is not there either unless you stop turn it off and then wait a few seconds and start it up again.????:idunno:
:bash:
i've changed the
injector pump
gear box
clutch
air sensor
fuel filter
oil filter
:wtf:
but still no joy:bash:
and the worst thing is the edc light doesnt even come on so on the computer it doesnt show a fault :thinking::idunno:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Have you changed glow plugs and egr valve you may have valve injevctor blockage due to fuel contamination at the tips , dump half bottle of Upper cylinder Lubricant in it that should clean it, if it's fuel related?
How many clicks have you on it! Getting old Dude, time to trade up to a 313 Cdi
Richard

mani,

the reason i asked how many miles was i did not want to offer
an opinion with not all the facts. based on 9 years and
214,000 miles i agree with richard. time to by new sprinter

gerry

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
but i dont want a new ne i want this one to work :bounce::rad:
Perhaps an independent shoppe's consultation is a logical step?

I've even commissioned transplants and overhauls because that's what I wanted.

Keeping well-known machines longer than was financially prudent is no crime.

-Jon

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
OK it was a joke about trading up! Replaced main injector! One of?
Replace all Bosh injectors and glow plugs, remember you have a 1998 model if the head has noy been lifted , you may have burnt valve seatings or carbonated up inside which was why I said to dump a bottle of cleaner inside of the fuel tank. to start cleaning it out. There may be sensor problems or the ecu may need a reset, even if you have a bare bone sprinter some electronics issue won't show if you are with out computer assist.
It needs to go to a qualified Mercedes out let for diagnostic evaluation. Richard

SprinterUSA1

hi guys can u all help me i've been racking my brain off for weeks??

i've got a 312d 1998 sprinter mwb
and the problem is it won't accelrate propely it goes up 2 about 60 to 70 mph and then you feel it pull back on you and wont go any faster. depending on if you going up hill or down hill it will lose power at different speeds.

but then even in lower speeds from 0 to 50mph the pick up power is not there either unless you stop turn it off and then wait a few seconds and start it up again.????:idunno:
:bash:
i've changed the
injector pump
gear box
clutch
air sensor
fuel filter
oil filter
:wtf:
but still no joy:bash:
and the worst thing is the edc light doesnt even come on so on the computer it doesnt show a fault :thinking::idunno:

Manni,

I have had similar problems when I was running biodiesel. The van would run but a higher speeds sudden loss off power or just no power at all and was a pain to get up to speed or up the hill. Did clean tank and changed filters..........In the end it was the fuel pump. Van never stopped running though. Eventually it would switch into an emergency mode and run fine even with the deffects. Could be the fuel transfer pump but that is just a guess. Did not see that on your list.

This might be a worthless post, I dunno. But the Volkswagon TDI's used to have major issues with MAF (mass air flow sensors). A malfunctioning MAF would cause all sorts of weird problems, hesitations, and major loss of power. Do the sprinters have a MAF?

Something related to the turbo maybe ????

214k for a fine Mercedes diesel engine is NOTHING - it's just getting broken. I'd be horrified if someone told me that my Sprinter was no good and worn out at 214k! FWIW, I was told that the engine in my '05 should accomplish 400k quite easily before needing an overhaul.

-Michael

manni

right i got it tested some where else who has a computer to check everthing...

came up with 6 faults
he cleared them all and told me to make it trip out again then bring it back all he did a general check of the engine... he did say there was a little bit of play in the turbo but not enough to cause this fault...

the one fault that came up is glow plug 4
and a compression problem in the air flow pipe
something about baro sensor
head compression and it not sensing enough air pressure in the intake pipe but the air flow sensor is working fine and the egr vavle is working but when it trips out
the egr vavle stops???

what the hell is a baro sensor???
i have to go back to see him on monday

manni

P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem

this is the error that comes on the computer

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
What was the pressure running at 1250 rpm on the manifold fuel rails fuel sensors egr fouled fuel rail leaks rubber seals weeping. fuel filters! I did say old engine? bad fuel! contaminating the engine with high carbon build up over the years, How clean was the egr with carbon soot build up . Question are you doing this via a non certified Benz machanic! or the from the pros ?
Richard PS Better still what are the fault codes showing on the DRB?

Last edited:

Top Bottom