Premature failure of serpentine belt

SprintED

Tom,

OH GREAT! Figures that my dealership would just apply all the same rules that work for a Dodge Diesel pick up without actually knowing what the Sprinter needs to have done to it.

So I now probably have several components of my heating system - Aux. coolant pump, Espar heater, etc.. that are now messed up!

Can anyone point me in the right direction of the TSB that Tom refers to?

Thanks for the heads up Tom!

ED

loredo_sprinter

Alright I've got a new Serpentine belt, now I need to know how to remove the A/C Compressor belt, this belt has a few cracks in it, and It look as if it's seen later days... it's shinny in some areas , evidence of slippage no doubt...tried looking it up in the manual, I haven't found anything good, any help appreciated

Jules

ctmcdaniel

Cross Member
OH GREAT! Figures that my dealership would just apply all the same rules that work for a Dodge Diesel pick up without actually knowing what the Sprinter needs to have done to it.

So I now probably have several components of my heating system - Aux. coolant pump, Espar heater, etc.. that are now messed up!

Can anyone point me in the right direction of the TSB that Tom refers to?

Thanks for the heads up Tom!

ED[/quote]

Ed

I still can not find the service bulletin I think I read, why did they flush? I may be referencing NCV3 info but the info I have is 15 years and 180 thousand miles as the service interval.

Tom

SprintED

Tom,

When the belt gave out is we were going about 70 mph and it was about 95 F outside...the van overheated slighty by the time we figured out what had happened and came to a stop, it had pushed out some of the coolant thru the overflow on the coolant tank.

Not much though because the low coolant warning light never came on.

So I think that since the engine got little warm...they figured they should clean it out to make sure all is well.

Judging from the info posted by Altered State (Richard) there are no concerns about doing a flush...only about when you do it and what coolant you use.

Ed

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
ED
Not thinking that well at the big MO!
I'd change it once a year thinking severe winters which may degrade the coolant sooner, the PDF does say this for low and high temperature countries. Any way, it's just a thought.
Richard

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Alright I've got a new Serpentine belt, now I need to know how to remove the A/C Compressor belt, this belt has a few cracks in it, and It look as if it's seen later days... it's shinny in some areas , evidence of slippage no doubt...tried looking it up in the manual, I haven't found anything good, any help appreciated
Jules, you should start your own thread that way it won't get lost in this thread.

Your van has a roof top condenser. That means you have two compressors and two types of belts; serpentine and v-belt. Which belt are you talking about?

SprintED

Richard,

Hi/low temp areas...well it has been 35 C (95F) here for the past few weeks with no end in sight and we can get pretty dang cold (-40) in the winter....so maybe I should change coolant every 6 months :lol:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Some where on this site I thought I read a TSB about not flushing the cooling system.
Tom

Attached

It applies to T1N (North American "VA") and NCV3 (North American "VB) Sprinters as well as a laundry list of other DCX products.

I should clarify, the TSB only calls out North American 2005-2006 T1N/VA models. No specific guidance is listed for Sprinters outside the 3 year warranty period.

-Jon

Attachments

Last edited:

SprintED

Well as expected my dealership was oh so understanding:rolleyes:

Dealer will not cover flush or coolant on my warranty repair because they tell me that that is DC policy. They only covered 5 days rental car for my warranty repair..eventhough they had the van for eight days...again it is DC policy(which they did not inform my about until after.)

So I am out $500 out of my own pocket for hauling my dead van 6 hours back to my home dealership plus another $550 for 3 days of car rental plus coolant flush etc...

So my next visit will be the owner of the dealership to see if he tows the official DC line like his service department.

Owning a new vehicle should not be this much of a headache:rant:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
So I am out $500 out of my own pocket for hauling my dead van 6 hours back to my home dealership plus another $550 for 3 days of car rental plus coolant flush etc...
This paragraph in the TSB supports Kendall69's position.

Exceptions to this recommendation include only those instances where a failure has occurred and/or the system has become compromised, contaminated or overheated beyond the normal operating range.

Talking to the boss is certainly the correct next step and talking to DCX follows, assuming the effort's not more costly than the potential compensation.

-Jon

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Eight days to repair! No Stock?
Repaired idler, but charged for coolant:thinking:
If the fault of the idler is under warranty and the replacement of fluids is part of the package, in other words, no way of stopping fluid loss, then the replacement of the fluid is deemed to be part of the warranty fix, therefore there can be no charge under the warranty program.
Jon is right! pursue this claim and place the onus of responsibility on the respondent.Do not admit liability towards negotiating an ambient claim in part or part thereof.

Her come De' Judge, Sock it to them
RICHARD

Last edited:

SprintED

Talking to the boss is certainly the correct next step and talking to DCX follows, assuming the effort's not more costly than the potential compensation.[/QUOTE]

I can afford to go a bend the owners ear...but this episode has cost me enough time and energy already and when you are a small business owner...those two commodities are in short supply. We will see how far I shove this this affair up DC's you know what!

I ve been down this road before, fighting for the dealer promised incentive from DC for making your van wheelchair accessible.....DC HQ was a maze of departments, phone numbers, voicemails and all round "passthebuckitis"...absolute waste of my time with zero results...never got my incentive.

Ed

SprintED

Richard,

Dealers service department claims that if you blow up an engine in a DC vehicle under warranty that DC does not pay for the oil once the engine is rebuilt...this was how they explained why I had to pay for a flush...I know, it makes no sense!

Unfortunately I dont have the DC playbook from which to correct them and they can say what they like...they are not going to listen to me...they have even rejected TSBs that I have brought them...they just dismiss them out of hand "we have never seen those before...the must be from the USA". And if making the customer feel that it is all his fault does not work...the just blame big bad DC for the policies they live by.
The take ZERO responsibility for anything!

I have come to understand that at this dealership...there is no use even trying to get your point accross to the service team...they just don't know, don't care, don't matter...

Ed

Micky

Hi , in general terms the squeeling you hear is the belt slipping ,for what ever reason .... too loose, seazed pully. nearly always shows up when air con is turned on or a heavy load on the alternator ie lights, wipers, ac, heater boost or just a worn out belt Mick

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Mick your right on your comment slippage and causes, the problem our friends are having is unlike in the UK and Germany there are very limited stocks for parts and qualified personal to install.
Warranty issues arise because of lack of understanding and conflict becomes the main medium of the day, so we have discontent amongst members as a direct result of non- resolved issues that continue within forums.
Ed I'll send you an Ocean liner to shove it where the sun don't shine that'll wake up your dealer:laughing: I'll include a remote fog horn blower:lol:
Richard

loredo_sprinter

Hey Micky,

I was having possibly the same outrageous squeeling that you described, when I shone my flash light on the a/c compressor belt I could see cracks, since then I replaced the belt , no more squeels, people are all happy now, they were getting a tad nervous expecting that my shuttle wouldn't get them home,

Jules

:bounce:

SprintED

Just an update on my whole belt fiasco..

Met with GM/Owner of dealership to express my dismay at being charged for cooling system flush after they warranty repaired my busted serp. belt and at how their service writer never mentioned that DC only covers 5 days of rental car cost during warranty work leaving me to cover 2 days of rental.

Well he did not brush me off and said he would call his DC rep to see what he could do, but at a minimum he was going reimburse me for the rental car out of his own(dealership) pocket if DC would not play ball.

Well about a month later I got a check from DC covering off the rental and the coolant flush... I am glad they played ball...but still choked that it had to go this far for me to get some satisfaction from a really bad situation.

Serp belt was free of any squeals for about 2 months...it just let out a big squeal today when the AC got turned on....here I go again!!

Not sure what my next step will be, because we all know I hav'nt got a hope in heck of my squeal sound ever being replicated at the dealership....probably should look into investing in extended warranty since I can't afford to trade it off on a new 2008.

Ed

tegimr

2003 Pass 140 289000 mile
. . .

Serp belt was free of any squeals for about 2 months...it just let out a big squeal today when the AC got turned on....here I go again!!

. . .
Ed
Ed, glad to hear that you've been reimbursed. Not certain that I understand the squeal that is being described. With temps frequently above 100 during the summer and frequently with load on the alternator. I replaced the s. belt when and it was worn; however, even worn it did not squeal.

Hope that the dealer gets this fixed for you.

Tim

sikwan

06 Tin Can

Top Bottom