Speaking of shocks/suspensions...........

Homemade Bob

Richard, I appreciate your input on my pending order for an '08 Sprinter that is destined for a self-build out into a camper. You easily convinced me to change my 2500 strategy into a 3500 strategy. Before I ink the final order I have ??'s concerning a few items re: suspensions upgrades.

1) Roll stabilizing suspension Code SEA

2) Front stabilizer bar, high capacity Code SHA (says standard
on 2500 cargo van. Available on 3500.)

3) Rear axle stabilizer bar Code SHC. (says standard on 2500)

4) Front stabilizer bar Code SHJ. (says stardard on 3500)

5) Rear springs, firmer Code XZB

Do you think any of these options are of great importance for my rig?

Also, is there any source I can look at that tells me what is included in "Customer preferred package 22B.

As well as Contractor's Group ASM.

Thank you much in advance. Homemade Bob

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen

Richard, I appreciate your input on my pending order for an '08 Sprinter that is destined for a self-build out into a camper. You easily convinced me to change my 2500 strategy into a 3500 strategy. Before I ink the final order I have ??'s concerning a few items re: suspensions upgrades.

Also, is there any source I can look at that tells me what is included in "Customer preferred package 22B.

All those codes are described in here.

You can also capture them from some dealership-contracted website like www.sprintercenter.com

22B BASE CUSTOMER PREFERRED ORDER SELECTION PKG -inc: 3.0L V6 turbo diesel engine, 5-speed auto trans, pwr outlet, hinged lid for center stack bin, instrument cluster, insulating windshield w/band, locking glove box, luxury steering wheel, dual front bucket seats, comfort headrests, speed control code: 22B

CONTRACTOR GROUP -inc: 220 amp alternator, 2 additional keys, aux battery, aux battery disconnect relay, driver seat base pwr outlet, fire extinguisher, road hazard warning lamp code: ASM

So far, we've seen no options for 2008 that were unavailable in 2007.
-Jon

Homemade Bob

Thank you, Jon.

I'm trying to be very prudent special ordering this unit. It will be my first new car ever. I'm guessing around $45k or so out the door:crazy: And that's with a wooden floor and all of its rib showing. Please don't tell me I'm crazy. :bash: Holy cow!

But when the camper build-out is finished, I'll be wondering how many $60K-plus cars can you sleep, shower, shave, and stand up in?:thumbup:

Homemade Bob

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Thank you, Jon.

I'm trying to be very prudent special ordering this unit. It will be my first new car ever. I'm guessing around $45k or so out the door:crazy: And that's with a wooden floor and all of its rib showing. Please don't tell me I'm crazy. :bash: Holy cow!

But when the camper build-out is finished, I'll be wondering how many $60K-plus cars can you sleep, shower, shave, and stand up in?:thumbup:

Homemade Bob

You're welcome, Bob!

I've never had, much less ordered a new vehicle either. Ordering a Sprinter is very similar to college. It's about as expensive, requires just about as much research and is easily as mentally-taxing as earning a bachelors.... it's taking about as long, too :)

-Jon

Last edited:
OTE=Homemade Bob;9449]Thank you, Jon.

Homemade Bob

[/QUOTE]

homemade bob,

to be contrarian,

you might consider ordering a passenger van and converting
that instead.

also a(don't shoot me) gas engine.

yes i know diesel is better mileage.

but overall costs have to be considered especially dpf
replacement every 90,000 to 130,000 miles. at 1600.00 plus

per replacement you could install a new engine at say
200,000 miles if needed.

i know i'm going to be criticized for this

gerry

tab380

The Drain Doctor
What is dpf:thinking: I had a 03 with 130,000 miles on it. I did not replace anything that cost $1600.00

Last edited:

Homemade Bob

Hi Gerry,

I dunno what a dpf is, so I guess I still have some research to do. I just think that diesel is going to be easier to come by in the near/distant future than gas but what do I know? :idunno:

The goal for my van is to be a "stealth" camper. Something that looks like a nice cargo van but really is much more. I would like to be able to overnight in some nice beach communities without drawing undo attention. :snore: So as windowless as possible with a couple of Fantastic Vents in the roof to act as a ceiling fan above the bed and an exhaust fan over the bath.

Hence, the cargo diesel version, heavy duty. Thanks for any suggestions, Homemade Bob

Hi Gerry,

I dunno what a dpf is, so I guess I still have some research to do. I just think that diesel is going to be easier to come by in the near/distant future than gas but what do I know? :idunno:

The goal for my van is to be a "stealth" camper. Something that looks like a nice cargo van but really is much more. I would like to be able to overnight in some nice beach communities without drawing undo attention. :snore: So as windowless as possible with a couple of Fantastic Vents in the roof to act as a ceiling fan above the bed and an exhaust fan over the bath.

Hence, the cargo diesel version, heavy duty. Thanks for any suggestions, Homemade Bob

bob,

the diesel particulate fillter is on all new diesel engines

if you search this site under a title dpf 2007 and beyond
you will find out about this.

the dpf filkls with ash at 90,000-130,00 miles.

it has to be replaced and chrysler charges 1600.00 plus for it

you have to understand that this site is full of diesel
entusiasts that tend to not tell you the downsides
of 2007 and beyond diesels.

i have been chastised many times at this sitr for my views.

thre is nothing wrong with a diesel engine- but overall
costs are higher than diesel enthusiasts express.

don't take my word for it. search the web on dpf
and diesel particulate filter .

gerry

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Ordering a Sprinter is very similar to college. It's about as expensive, requires just about as much research and is easily as mentally-taxing as earning a bachelors.... it's taking about as long, too yet it is so much more fun! :)
I fixed something for you Jon. :bounce:

Homemade Bob

I didn't read all 7 pages of dpf-related posts but I believe I got the gist of it. I appreciate everyone looking out for my well-being. Still waiting for Richard to weigh in on my suspension-related questions. I can see there's a lot to know. :thinking:

Homemade Bob

bob,

another thing to look at is maintenance. if your a do-it
yourselfer for diesel engines then it might be cheaper.

but the maintenance manual for the 2007 sprinter van
has the same 10,000 mile schedule for oil changes/filters
for gas and diesel.

diesel uses more oil and heavier filters. i suggest you actually
ask the dealer for prices for diesel and gas maintenance.

however spark plugs at 60,000 for gas.

seek, told me how to put web address in message but i forgot.

the 2007 maintenance manual is at freightliner-sprinter

website.

gerry

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
bob,
another thing to look at is maintenance. if your a do-it
yourselfer for diesel engines then it might be cheaper.
gerry
Seek: thanks for the edit, but there was a lot more girl chasing at the University of Washington. For NCV3 Sprinter Studies, "more fun" might be a bit strong. :)

gerry: you've made a wonderful first step... not that i'm calling it an erosion of your conviction or anything. clearly, it's still a pirate's life gas engine for you. :)

Jon

Seek: thanks for the edit, but there was a lot more girl chasing at the University of Washington. For NCV3 Sprinter Studies, "more fun" might be a bit strong. :)

gerry: you've made a wonderful first step... not that i'm calling it an erosion of your conviction or anything. clearly, it's still a pirate's life gas engine for you. :)

Jon
jon,

i may not be smart-but i am persistent.

gerry

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite

Hi Bob
Yes your on the right track my problem is working out the differences between the US and Euro sites to find the mistakes, that Dodge keeps on keeping on with stuff ups, but it appears you have the right selection.

Diesel Particulate Filter. Gerry is famous for this. :laughing:

http://www.sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=932&highlight=dpf

There's more. Just do a search. Also only in the NCV3 Sprinters.

Well there you go! some things just aren't taught in schools:tongue:

jon,

i may not be smart-but i am persistent.

gerry
G'Day Jerry, your like a tennis match Game sat and match
Time will tell:thumbup:
Bob that PDF regenerates and cleans as it goes, so don't you worry too much over that one.the time it needs to be replaced we will all be dead and Gone.
Mercedes Benz Particle Killer
Hit the link and have a little fun I did and still get my rocks off with a Mercedes-Benz
Richard

Homemade Bob

Thanks Richard,

The fleet manager here at the San Diego Sprinter Dealership seems to have his s**t together so I'll see what his opinion of the HD suspension options is. I can't imagine that I'm gonna be undergunned even with the stock 3500. With a payload of 5000lbs and a build-out of perhaps 3000lbs...I'm guessing I'll be good to go.

Gerry, I actually am pretty handy (Homemade) and since rocket scientists are probably few and far between at the Sprinter service centers I'm confident I can learn to perform the driveline service. I think it will definitely require a bigger hole dug in the dirt or a more cavernous storm drain in which to dump the big crankcase full of oil :bounce::bounce:

Top Bottom