Alloy /crome wheels

Micky

Hi fellow sprinters , this my first thread. Can anyone tell me where i can get a nice set of wider bigger wheels for my 216 cdi. these are quite narrow. This is my buggy.

Attachments

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Welcome Micky! :clapping: I thought your picture was mirrored until I realized that you drove on the wrong side of the road. :smirk:

How much wider are you talking about?

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6

Contains a link to various MB G-Wagen rims that should fit.

I believe some Porsche rims have the same bolt pattern, but that will drastically decrease the weight rating.

SprinterUSA1

Hi fellow sprinters , this my first thread. Can anyone tell me where i can get a nice set of wider bigger wheels for my 216 cdi. these are quite narrow. This is my buggy.

I believe 8.5x18 will fit no problem. Anything large may require fender work.
G-wagen, VW Touareg and Porsche Cayenne have the same boltpattern as the Sprinter. You might find something there.

SprinterUSA1

Micky

Hi thanks for your reply. dont like the look of the g wagon wheels though.I have seen som nice ones on the german forum below ,have made enquiries but had no answers. see some real nice sprinters there too.

url]www.2yoo.de/dr/sprinter/.../index.php[/url]

SprinterUSA1

Hi thanks for your reply. dont like the look of the g wagon wheels though.I have seen som nice ones on the german forum below ,have made enquiries but had no answers. see some real nice sprinters there too.

www.2yoo.de/dr/sprinter/.../index.php

I guess you are referring to Johnnys, and RennSprinters in particular. There are some other but these two are surely special. They are member here also!!.

Johnny had his custom made if I recall him saying there somewhere. Rennsprinter had different wheels at different times. The current ones are I believe Anteras. Not sure though.

What about the Cayennes or Touareg wheels?

SprinterUSA1

url]www.2yoo.de/dr/sprinter/.../index.php[/url]

Micky,

the guys In Germany will usually respond to your questions. Of course it is vacation time over there so you might have to wait some time to get a response. In most cases they will get back to you within a few days.

Cheers
SprinteruSA1

Micky

HI. sprinter USA. thanks again for reply , Yes i love those german boys sprinters they are excellent. I do quite like the antera 323s but i have been told on several occasions that they will not carry the weight by outlets in GB i dont understand this as they are used in other countrys. I will be visiting the dusseldorf Caravan salon in late august so i will keep my eyes open their.
went last year all very friendly. By the way are you in the states. Be well Micky

Ps how do you put a small photo icon next to mt username ???????

Attachments

SprinterUSA1

HI. sprinter USA. thanks again for reply , Yes i love those german boys sprinters they are excellent. I do quite like the antera 323s but i have been told on several occasions that they will not carry the weight by outlets in GB i dont understand this as they are used in other countrys. I will be visiting the dusseldorf Caravan salon in late august so i will keep my eyes open their.
went last year all very friendly. By the way are you in the states. Be well Micky

Ps how do you put a small photo icon next to mt username ???????

Micky,

I do not know the weight rating on those wheels but I can imagine that it might be less than the factory ones. It is only a problem though if you are trying to use the full loading capacity of your Sprinter. As long as you stay below the wheels will work fine.

Yes, I live in western Massachusetts.

Small Photo icon: Go to "USER CP" at the top. Then on the left you have a bunch of EDIT options. Choose the "EDIT AVATAR" and you can add one to your profil.

Cheers
SprinterUSA1

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
which wheel do you think looks better, the cayenne, or the tourag wheels?

I read that the v6 tourag has different bolt pattern then the v8?

If so, which one fits the Sprinter?

SprinterUSA1

which wheel do you think looks better, the cayenne, or the tourag wheels?

I read that the v6 tourag has different bolt pattern then the v8?

If so, which one fits the Sprinter?

Tibor,

it has to be a 5x130mm boltpattern with 85mm centerhole.

I like the Touareg wheels better. No wheel in particular just in general. Like the Touareg better than the Cayenne also.

SprinterUSA1

Micky

hi, does any one know what the right load rating is per wheel for 216. I phoned up mercedes to find out and they would not tell me they said it was privilaged information. i would have thought that all of us with sprinters are paying their wages and they would be a bit more helpful.. spose not, they got my money now. (for 3 vans) Gross wight on log book is 2800kg front axle is 3875lbs rear is 5356 lbs . do you divide axle weight by two wheels or is it more tech.....Micky

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
hi, does any one know what the right load rating is per wheel for 216.
Gross wight on log book is 2800kg front axle is 3875lbs rear is 5356 lbs . do you divide axle weight by two wheels or is it more tech.....Micky

It's my understanding that the axles, wheels and tires all have load capacities which are independent of one another. Wheel bolt patterns seem to deter people from putting under-rated wheels on axles; according to my casual observations. It is entirely possible to put an under-spec'd tire on a properly spec'd wheel.

For instance, I asked if the Ronal R44 had a weight rating that would not collapse under a fully loaded 3.x tonne T1N. The answer was "yes, it can bear more weight than the axle's rating states."

Bottom line: it is a bit more technical than knowing one or two parts of the formula and making an accurate estimation of the third.

-Jon

SprinterUSA1

hi, does any one know what the right load rating is per wheel for 216. I phoned up mercedes to find out and they would not tell me they said it was privilaged information. i would have thought that all of us with sprinters are paying their wages and they would be a bit more helpful.. spose not, they got my money now. (for 3 vans) Gross wight on log book is 2800kg front axle is 3875lbs rear is 5356 lbs . do you divide axle weight by two wheels or is it more tech.....Micky
Micky,

the factory wheels have a load rating of 1150kg.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Micky
You have a two tonne vehicle not a three tonne vehicle First number on 216 CDi is designated to the tonnage two tonne the last two numbers are HP rating
Standard axle ratings for this model unless optioned up are as follows
Front axle rating 1460 Kg
Rear axle rating 1700 Kg
Gross vehicle mass 2800 Kg
Unladen weight 1746 Kg
Payload capacity 1054 Kg
Trailer load with brakes 2000 Kg
Making my point of reference, if you have the upgraded rear springs. Two of~! 'as opposed to one,' then the front axle is rated 1600 KG with wide hub... as you have alloy wheels, the front has not been optioned up....:thumbdown: dual wheels are only for weight distribution, therefore you have single wheels only! but optioned extra springs and stabilizer bars were an option, along with H/D shocks.
This makes no difference to adding after market rims! But you are very limited to loading capacity as a result of the change over.
Your van may take a rim not MB, but it also can fail under added load with disastrous consequences. Because of the off set the front camber can go out real quick with tires failing inside of ten thousand miles or sooner.
PS deleate a further 20KG for hi top units
Richard

Last edited:

Micky

Hi Richard,thanks for info, but i didn,t fully understand the last part (bellow) especially the part about camber Micky.

But you are very limited to loading capacity as a result of the change over.
Your van may take a rim not MB, but it also can fail under added load with disastrous consequences. Because of the off set the front camber can go out real quick with tires failing inside of ten thousand miles or sooner.
PS deleate a further 20KG for hi top units
Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Micky

Alternative rims:thinking: how do I explain this!
The Sprinter is unique in it's profile offset and to the given fact it's a commercial vehicle
some rims have loading capacity's you understand "THIS AS TO LIMITS"
I'm out of time at the moment as it's now 11 pm Sunday night, so give me untill this time late tomorrow and I'll try to explain in a little more factual detail.
Could you tell me what is the exact specs on your driver side base frame that suuports your seat, nearest to the door by the fuse panel it has a black backgound with white lettering,it will show the vehicle weight , load weight front loading and rear loading specifications please.
Richard.

Micky

HI Richard ,sorry to be a dummbo, here is the info you asked for,I appriciate your help, Mick.
216 cdi.medium wheelbase.

Gross 2800kg
Kerb weight Front axle 1159kg
Rear axle 451gg
Total 1610
Body/Payload 1190kg

Plated weights.
front axle 1460kg
Rear axle 1700kg

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hello Micky
Thank you for the clarification on your weights, they are correct.
It's a rare vehicle to see a genuine 216 CDi as most sold in this category are in the lower 4 cylinder ratings. As a new member I'm sure you have seen the US version of the 2500 series it's the same beasty "BUT WITH THE RAMS CLOTHING"
I get a chuckle when I see the reconversion back to Mercedes but with the 316 badge which is supposed to be 216 CDi the same as your very neat Unit:thumbup:
Just to keep it on an even keel the 216=2500 is a two and half tonne unit
316 CDi=3500 is a three and half ton unit all up
With a hi top version take a further 20 KG off the end weight of your van your gross vehicle mass is 2800KG now take of 20 KG = 2780, this is counter measure to the balance of the center of gravity from your front hub center off-set to the Roof line above your B pillar which on a 45 deg angle deflects to the same on the rear axle which is the same distance from the front to rear axle, hence center of balance, the maths to this ! You need a masters degree in mathematics it's really complicated for a novice, and I can't quite even work it out.
as to different internal loadings. Over the best part of twelve months there has been many threads on rims and tires in the German forum including the UK Brickyard forums there are many shots of both Vito and VW transporter and Sprinters showing up to 20 ' rims and high speed low profile tires, none of these are legal in both the UK and Europe and the boys know it.
There is one rim that has an almost perfect fit and this is from a Porche I will not quote the model the rim or the PCD off-set under any circumstances, as the rear are a perfect fit the front one require both a spacer to bring the wheel forward to accommodate the disk calipers along with shims to bring the camber back in line between 65Mm toe in to 72 Mn offset
although the rim fits and almost makes the grade in the weight for your vehicle it will not take a commercially rated tire as to the extra height in the rim the tire beading will fail at 72 Miles per hour under hard cornering and this is due to the Sprinters weight , but also on the forces of gravity that are pushing down on the front axle from the roof line:thinking: it's not a sports car of a low height and low center of gravity, that is in this case the distance of height from the road surface to the bottom of the vehicles body line , it's too top heavy for a rim of standard configuration.
As I had a few hours today to spare I went to the local DOT register and ran up an ISO rating on the Sprinter, this is world wide linked to all Major rim and tire manufactures in an attempt to find a rim and tire that complies to the Mercedes Sprinter in both the mid based and long wheel base units of 2500 through to 3500 series I found 20 rims but no match to the tires, no rims matched to the Sprinters weight configuration .
Again there are rims that will fit with some modifications but the are not legal , this means they do not have a compliance rating for the Sprinters as such, in the possible event of an accident you would find your insurance became void this applies in any country that has DOT ratings in either local or ISO world standards that 90% of the time are higher than a local specifications.
With third party insurance on a no fault claim basis that is injury to another person including your self, it is possible that regulator that carries the no fault premium would sue you for damages! this applies in Europe UK and Australia not sure how it works in the U.S nothings standard as to state by state variations via DOT and the EPA:idunno:
The only thing I can think of is to have the existing ones chromed , but I'm not sure if it will weaken the metal in the process of the chemical process.
not the answer your looking for sorry but if it's not safe don't risk the life of your loved ones, it takes one second to lose a life, just like that and there is no saying SORRY.
As much as I would love to put on the glitter with my Sprinter , I can't find one that takes the weight for a 3.5 tonne unit Mine is a 313 CDi but it's the samne as a 316 CDi , the engine is the only difference.
Richard
TIRE OFFSET.jpg

Top Bottom