2002 413CDI Cutting out

peecee

Hi All
I have a 2002 413CDI long wheelbase high roof Sprinter. It has about 230 000Kms on the clock. I am experiancing the following problem:
About a year ago the van started cutting out on pull off and at low revs. The only way you could pull away was slipping the clutch and reving the life out of the poor thing. My dealer said it was the injectors which I changed (all 4) and the problem seemed to go away or only cut out infrequently. The problem is that it has now returned in all its glory and put me in some very dangerous situation, by cutting out at the wrong times, etc. I have noticed that the fuel tank seems to develop a huge air lock if the bus stands in the sun.
If the bus cuts out while it is moving I simply turn the key off and turn it on again and we continue along..until the next time.

I live in Botswana, so the amount of support from our garage is not good.

Any suggestions??

Cheers

Paul

peecee

Thanks, I will be changing all the filters this weekend, and will see how it goes. It is in at the moment having the seal on the diff changed, as it is leaking.

Cheers

peecee

I have now done the following to try and sort out my Vans cutting out, on pull away, problems.
1. Replaced 4 Injectors
2. Replaced brake pedal sensor
3. Replaced commonrail solenoid valve o-rings
4. Replaced all filters (air, oil, fuel and fuel water trap filter)
5. Cleaned, not replaced the air intake sensor.

I have had it at the MB shop and the mechanic is saying he thinks it is the high pressure fuel pump costing about $US1700 (bearing in mind it is the same mechanic that said if I replace the injectors $US1100, the problem would go away). So as you can see I am a bit weary of spending money on the HP fuel pump if it is not needed.

Any other suggestions?

Cheers
Paul

kendall69

Tell the mechanic since the $1,100 injector fix, didn’t fix, to give you your money back on that and go ahead and replace the pump.:rad:

peecee

Love to be able to that, BUT this is Africa, all you get is sorry, I was sure that would have worked, let's try something else and don't forget to bring your cheque book!! Thant's why I have been trying all this myself so far.

Cheers
Paul

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
Peecee, it's enriching to have you with us to share your experiences from Botswana.

When you changed the fuel filter was it clogged or loaded with water? I hope our fuel pumps are in the tank... in the old days of diaphragm pumps mounted on the engine the vapor lock was not an uncommon experience. Now here you are, with the same sort of thing, albeit temporary because you can cure it by shutting off the engine and restarting. The computer that regulates fuel flow is bonkers maybe and by "rebooting" it you temporarily eliminate the problem.

I imagine it's easy to test the pressure put out by the fuel pump so that possiblity could be eliminated.

talkinghorse43

Good point.

Don't know about the 413, but my '02 with the OM612 engine is fitted with a low pressure fuel pump mounted on the front of the engine (sucks fuel from the tank & thru the fuel filter). I imagine that if that pump went bad, or partially bad, there might be issues like those you complain of. Or, if there were an air leak into the suction line; that would also cause similar problems.

Top Bottom