Suspension upgrades on the way for my 2008 View.

jditom

Just to let the moderator know these suspension upgrades are not just for the Winni. View but will be avaliable for all 2500 and 3500 Sprinter 2007 plus models. Just trying to get the word out to all who could use it!

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Just to let the moderator know these suspension upgrades are not just for the Winni. View but will be avaliable for all 2500 and 3500 Sprinter 2007 plus models. Just trying to get the word out to all who could use it!

For those that don't have a yahoo id (and don't want to make one) this is from the "View-NavionTech · Winnebago...Home of the Skinnie Techie" message list.

----
(message 3013)

Re: Timbrens will not work on a 2008 View. But suspension is on the way!

Update from John at upscale. Spring kit should be done this week. It
will be beefer then the prior ones since the 08's have a 20-30%
stiffer chassie and there is no room for air bags. John says the sway
bar will also be larger. And if they all work he can start producing
them for you all.
Cheers
John
----

Bottom line (and Jditom, correct me if I'm mistaken)

John Bendit of Upscale Auto in Tualatin, Oregon is building custom rear suspension equipment for 2007 Sprinters with a improvements listed above and jditom is the guinea pig?

Cool.

-Jon

Upscale Auto contact information:

John Bendit
Telephone:
503-692-0846
Postal address:
19460 SW 89th Ave.
Tualatin, OR 97062
General Information: john@upscaleauto.com
Service Manager and Customer Support: service@upscaleauto.com

jditom

That is correct. He is doing a spring kit and sway bar. He is also trying to get Koni to make aftermarket shock for the new 2500/3500. The suspension and chassie is so different from prior modles that nothing crossed over.

More to come:thumbup:

John
2008 24J

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Good one ! I think:thinking:
Would like to see the mods in picture form though, Not enough information , too comment otherwise.
Thanks richard

Dan Holm

New to the group here. Looks like I stumbled upon the best forum for my tastes.

I too was wondering about a suspension upgrade for my 2008 View. Seems to wallow a lot. The shock settings need a little more beef on the beggining of compression.

I look forward to hearing the results.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
New to the group here. Looks like I stumbled upon the best forum for my tastes.

I too was wondering about a suspension upgrade for my 2008 View. Seems to wallow a lot. The shock settings need a little more beef on the beggining of compression.

I look forward to hearing the results.

Welcome, Dan! It is a good forum. I'm looking forward to your postings and input!

-Jon

I am also considering suspension upgrade to my rig. Same as yours: 2008, C-Class (or B+ with some manufacturers) on dually Sprinter. Way too much sway, especially on surface streets around town. OK on highway.

Would appreciate any comments from folks who have added any or all of the following from Upscale Auto in Tualatin, OR.
1) Auxiliary Swaybar,
2) HD adjustable shocks in rear. Not the Koni, but the newer ones they sell at $199 ea.
3) Spring Assist Kit. (Is this better than the Roadmaster product?)

Total cost of hardware and labor for all three of these is about $2,500.00 Are all important, or has someone had luck with just the swaybar & shocks? Any other combinations you recommend? Pretty pricey, but if it does what they say it does ...

Thanks!

I am also considering suspension upgrade to my rig. Same as yours: 2008, C-Class (or B+ with some manufacturers) on dually Sprinter. Way too much sway, especially on surface streets around town. OK on highway.

Would appreciate any comments from folks who have added any or all of the following from Upscale Auto in Tualatin, OR.
1) Auxiliary Swaybar,
2) HD adjustable shocks in rear. Not the Koni, but the newer ones they sell at $199 ea.
3) Spring Assist Kit. (Is this better than the Roadmaster product?)

Total cost of hardware and labor for all three of these is about $2,500.00 Are all important, or has someone had luck with just the swaybar & shocks? Any other combinations you recommend? Pretty pricey, but if it does what they say it does ...

Thanks!

kodb

Working Retired:

We had the whole tamale suspension upgrade done by John & Co this past September: included upgraded shocks, spring assist, sway bar, air bag kit with wireless control.
Made our C clas (2010 Itasca Navion) handle waaaay better as in like a different vehicle. There is still a touch of low speed sway but NOTHING compared to pre-upgrade.
We also had the grill guard/brush guard done and a couple other things. We could not get the aux fuel tank that we wanted because winnebago moved the propane tank to the void where Upscale's custom fabricated one is supposed to go.

I think they did a great job and were worth all of the not inconsiderable cost.

Bob

calbiker

I doubt any/all Upscale suspension mod(s) will noticeably decrease slow speed rocking. I'm sure these mods do an excellent job in keeping the MH stable when a truck passes, but not slow speed rocking.

I've run some tests similar to the link on a '08 Navion.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10635

I still need to find/test a MH with no mods to make a direct comparison. I'll be happy to test anybody's suspension that passes through Santa Barbara.

Cal

Dan Holm

I installed the Upscale rear shocks as a start. An improvement exists. I've been playing around with the adjustment and find I am setting more toward the high end of 1-7. The result is I don't get as much rock and roll when pulling out of driveways. I sympathize with Cal. The shock settings have way too little dampening. I know these are heavy vehicles, however I don't understand why a shock cannot be made where it would bounce once and return to a settle without continuing is trajectory. I guess Cal is a biker no? So am I. We get spoiled with multiple suspension adjustments on our bikes.

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
Am I the only one who thinks Winebago is not building these units with enough beef on the suspensions? Either that or they are way too heavy for the suspension. It's sad that one buys these expensive units and then has to go on and spend a lot of money to do what Winebago should have done... Al

Dan Holm

Am I the only one who thinks Winebago is not building these units with enough beef on the suspensions? Either that or they are way too heavy for the suspension. It's sad that one buys these expensive units and then has to go on and spend a lot of money to do what Winebago should have done... Al
Your not the only one. It is a common problem with Class C motorhomes. Most are at their weight limit. However not very many are as costly as Sprinter based units, and perhaps Winnebago ought to upgrade from factory.

calbiker

The Upscale suspension mods do not improve slow speed rocking. They may make matters worse. I tested a '08 NJ with Adjustable Air Bags (100 - 5 psi), Heavy Duty Koni - front & rear, 2 rear sway bars (front & back of rear axle), Helper Spring Assist and Steer Safe.

The side to side rocking is about 25% lower in my '07 NJ. Still, the rocking in my '07 NJ is awful! I also have Koni shocks. The blue waveforms show side to side rocking. Both rock at the same frequency, 1.2 Hz. The '08 NJ air bags are set to 70 lbs in this test. There's almost 1 g-force of peak to peak rocking when the '08 NJ goes over a typical speed bump at an angle. There's enough rocking to open the upper cabinet door and dump contents out. One doesn't notice the rocking that much when sitting in the well suspended front seats, but when in the back, it's one hell of a ride.

It's clear the Konis aren't doing their job damping the oscillation. It's also not certain Upscale adjusted the Konis before installing them. I purchased my Konis from them. They told me at the time of purchase that they were set to the correct rebound adjustment. I believe 80%. After some accelerometer testing on my MH, I decided to remove the rears and check the adjustment. To my surprise, they were not adjusted at all! They were at the min setting. Just a word of caution for those who bought from Upscale.

Cal

Attachments

Top Bottom