grab handles for easier entry

BENDA

Hi everyone, has anyone fitted grab handles onto the inside of the A pillar to help getting in and out, or know if this is possible ? i'm getting complaints from the chancellor of the exchequer who is challenged in the leg department.
regards ben

windsprinter

One of the faults of the NCV3 is the grab handles above the door. They work if you sort of vault upwards from the step and hang down gibbon-like from the handle (I think its called brachiation, if a physical anthropology course from 1976 was right:thinking:) A lower handle would certainly help. My Dodge and Ford pickups have much better handles in this regard. I look forward to some of the suggestions sure to get posted.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
You didn't mention if it is a T1N or NCV3 ...

If it's a T1N, you can add a second (door-side) arm rest to the passenger seat.
That serves as an excellent grab-handle.

If you buy the driver's seat arm rest it comes with all bolts, etc.
and the holes to receive it are hidden under the seat's fabric.
(the foam is even pre-drilled for it).
Locate the foam holes by feel, probe with a long needle to -really- find the holes, and just bolt it on.

easy peasy (i've done it)
--dick

BENDA

sorry, should have said, my sprinter is a 05 t1n. i was thinking of the handles you find on toyota and mitsubishi vans, having driven both they work very well.but i suspect the A pillar is reinforced to take the handle during manufacture,i'll check out the arm rest idea.
many thanks ben

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
sorry, should have said, my sprinter is a 05 t1n. i was thinking of the handles you find on toyota and mitsubishi vans, having driven both they work very well.but i suspect the A pillar is reinforced to take the handle during manufacture,i'll check out the arm rest idea.
many thanks ben
Benda your replies are from the U.S side no Mitsubishi or Toyota vans
I think and I did not look but the pillars on left and right have a depression on these to allow the handles to fit, you would have to remove both to see if the bolt attachment are there. as to the variations of spribters sent to OZ Eric has one, he'd know.
Richard

dronsin

Benda, I added one for the DW, used the fold down handle from the top of the passenger door. I moved it to about half way up the a-pillar. It is screwed to the metal pillar with #12 self tapping screws...and I cut some plastic to act as spacers (about 1/2 inch thick) to set the base away from the a-pillar and fit the pillar trim flush. I had to notch the trim two places rectangularly, but the handle has some facia 'washers' that cover the cuts if done accurately.

Take the trim off and study locating the base a bit. The handle springs inward, seems to fit nice. One could order the handle itself, and leave the door top one in place.

Dale also an 05

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In the USA market T1N's, the passenger-side grab handle is folded up at the -top- of the door opening.
(unreachable from the ground by short people)
And, it's a factory option: they add a piece of steel to serve as an anchor.
Thus simply bolting one on as an "aftermarket" addition only finds headliner cardboard as a mounting surface.

The USA parts manual for 2005 does not list an A-pillar handle. (it'd be nice)

good luck
--dick

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
In the USA market T1N's, the passenger-side grab handle is folded up at the -top- of the door opening.
(unreachable from the ground by short people)
And, it's a factory option: they add a piece of steel to serve as an anchor.
Thus simply bolting one on as an "aftermarket" addition only finds headliner cardboard as a mounting surface.

The USA parts manual for 2005 does not list an A-pillar handle. (it'd be nice)

good luck
--dick
We have the first standard option of a dead center grab handle but the handles on the front pillar were on emergency service vehicles. concidering the position I doubt if the would pass a safety test ,but Gov is exempt as usual.
Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Quick search on the bay of over priced sprinters
Pic shown ,sorry found none, but they were on some of the Ambos,saying that at least there is one for the passenger side,which makes sense as it's designated Passenger as opposed to truck which is delete.
Arms on seat also retro fit from the Vito too.
Richard
CDE616FE55D64D35A85ED3A5C2425727.jpg

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
Have you seen the glass grabber things in the stores. A couple of suction cups to the windshield and you have a handle. Under $10US. Will mount on flat metal too.

BENDA

Hi fellas,thanks for all the information,my 316 is an ex ambo,i think i'll start by pulling off the plastic trim then consider moving the handle from over the passenger door to the a pillar,the handle is no good where it is,if that works out ok i might also put one on the drivers side. i'm heading offto visit my daughter tomorrow so i can't start 'til i get back but i'll let you know how it goes when i do, again many thanks ben

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Hi fellas,thanks for all the information,my 316 is an ex ambo,i think i'll start by pulling off the plastic trim then consider moving the handle from over the passenger door to the a pillar,the handle is no good where it is,if that works out ok i might also put one on the drivers side. i'm heading offto visit my daughter tomorrow so i can't start 'til i get back but i'll let you know how it goes when i do, again many thanks ben
Ahrr so it was on the drivers side
I have seen them on both sides
Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
:smirk: Not often I get caught out ,but I don't think these are a Mercedes part,rather an ambulance retro fit from the shoplifters who assemble these in OZ.
I'll ask around the traps .
Richard

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
How about these grab handles?

http://www.sprinteraccessories.com/068_driver_or_passenger_handle.html

I want to know how they mount up.

Are they bolted to the steel or to the headliner?
Not what Benda is looking for if you read the post above chris has the side headline grab handles for 12 quid.
Further investigation reveals the OZ POST has them and may retro fit as the v doc shows a schematic on the tin but the model is for 906 NCV not 903 Tin.
There are four parts for each handle.....The screws behind the plastic A pillar is the key.
Richard

BENDA

Hi fellas, i've been away ,also big problems connecting,so i neglected this thread,thanks for all your responses, i have removed the plastic coverstrips and there aren't any flat spots on the a pillar for locating any grab handles,but it wouldn't be a problem to fix to the pillar anywhere along its length, all i need to do now is get some handles and do the job
regards ben

Top Bottom