HID troubleshooting

somoflange

A little while back, I got the "low beam out" warning. So, I ordered a replacement lamp. Normally, I thought these lamps lasted a LOT longer. well, I replaced the lamp, and I still have nothing. Which makes me wonder if the problem could be a fuse or something. I can't find any information about headlamp fuses in the manual, I wonder if they are circuit breakers? - if it's not the lamp or a fuse, I guess it's got to be a ballast. Does anyone have some technical information about the xenon headlight system in these and how to replace components? I'd appreciate it very much! The shutter does seem to work just fine by the way.

Somoflange,
I can't help much with your specific questions. Did you test the lamp you removed to see if it is indeed bad?

There are more fuses for the headlight and tail light systems in the Sprinter than are commonly found on American design vehicles. I find the Sprinter fuse maps a bit sketchy (could be me). Adding to that confusion, I have found fuses that fail and don't show easily by visual inspection when still installed. I suggest that you look at all the fuses under the steering column and under the driver seat ver-wee, ver-wee carefully with a flashlight before doing too much troubleshooting. Hope this does some good. AP/vic
A little while back, I got the "low beam out" warning. So, I ordered a replacement lamp. Normally, I thought these lamps lasted a LOT longer. well, I replaced the lamp, and I still have nothing. Which makes me wonder if the problem could be a fuse or something. I can't find any information about headlamp fuses in the manual, I wonder if they are circuit breakers? - if it's not the lamp or a fuse, I guess it's got to be a ballast. Does anyone have some technical information about the xenon headlight system in these and how to replace components? I'd appreciate it very much! The shutter does seem to work just fine by the way.

NYC SPRINTERS

U can replace one lamp U have to replace right and left!!! or it will be different color!!! check your voltage on the ballast if U have 12 volt it means your fuses are fine and its your ballast that needs to be replace

Last edited:

BBlessing

61k happy miles
you should always use a voltmeter or test light to check your fuses. there are little exposed areas you can touch with a probe. also be careful messing around with those headlights. they are extremely high voltage on the bulb side of the ballast.

bb

somoflange

thanks guys. okay, now for the real stoopid question from me: where are the ballasts? inside the headlight assembly? I can't see them very obviously, and this is my first vehicle with HID. Also, which fuses are related to the headlights? I can't seem to find any reference in the manual at all. I did buy a pair of lamps to keep it balanced once I sort this all out.

NYC SPRINTERS

the ballast are normally under the headlight assembly!!! U have to take your headlights out to see them!!! take you sprinter to any radio or mobile installations centers they will find the problem in 10 min!!!

Thump_rrr

Please do not try to measure the output voltage of the ballast.
Ignition voltage is around 25,000V.

If you are unsure swap with the opposite side if it is functioning.

1jonhansen

So I pulled my headlights off today and found water inside the headlight assemblies. I also noticed that the previous owner had tried to seal them with silicon...

I also noticed that the ballasts (which are mounted to the bottom of the assembly) were completely full of water. I called my local Freightliner/Sprinter dealer and was told that new headlight assemblies were easily ordered from Germany for $1600 EACH....

Well that started me on a search of the internet and found one on Ebay for 270, Free Shipping.

I was able to get my headlights working again today by replacing the ballasts. But I know that is only a temporary fix until more rain soaks the ballasts again....

I am toying with the idea of switching back to a H7 halogen body and buying an aftermarket HID kit. At least then the ballast would be inside the housing... And it might be cheaper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7nwSK-BEy0

Top Bottom