DAD users group discussion thread

Dougflas

DAD OWNER
The thing I personally would find useful would be a screen shot of the various data streams showing what a normal engine puts out along with a DTC code listing.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
The thing I personally would find useful would be a screen shot of the various data streams showing what a normal engine puts out along with a DTC code listing.
I would suggest you now create you own personalized screen shots showing your vehicle's 'normal' data stream values for the various modules, then you can compare values when and if your Sprinter has issues.

'Normal' data stream values being defined as: no codes, no symptoms.

Doktor A

sailquik

All,
I had the opportunity to try out the DAD unit data stream capability today.
Finally ended up with a Panasonic Toughbook CF-51 laptop 2.00 Ghz processor, 1 GB RAM running Windows XP Pro.
I've tried several other laptops, and this one gets DAD results the quickest and the results are very consistent.
I wanted to determine out how fast the wheels and tires turn at 55 mph and also answer a nagging question about
the NAG1 transmission lockup clutch.
Well the wheels turn 98 rpms (both front and rear) at 55 mph. (I need a driver so I can play with the DAD info and
laptop).
As far as the lockup clutch, on a very flat road, < 8 knots of wind from the LH side, it looks like the engine turns about
80 RPMs faster than the torque converter turbine at 2450-2500 RPM.
So, unless someone has some better information, I think the the myth that the flywheel and the trans input shaft
(behind the torque converter turbine) actually "lock up" and turn the same RPMs is pretty much busted.
The amount of info available using the DAD units is pretty amazing.
Very cool to see the engine RPMs, the TC Turbine RPM, and the trans. output shaft/driveshaft RPM which clearly
shows the 0.083 overdrive in 5th gear (in D) and also the the 1/1 ratio thru the trans in 4th gear.
Also had a gas gauge code and some other code in the instrument cluster that popped up. Was able to clear
them and the instrument cluster now checks OK.
Can't wait for warmer weather to see if the DAD unit will finally decipher my mysterious engine shutdown syndrome.
Roger

Last edited:

macsix

I received my DAD today (02-20-2010) and went right to work.

This is what I got:
sprinter dad trial.JPG
I then printed and then cleared the codes, and rescanned, and I get the same thing. Did I miss something?

Doug Lauser

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
I received my DAD today (02-20-2010) and went right to work.

This is what I got:

I then printed and then cleared the codes, and rescanned, and I get the same thing. Did I miss something?

Doug Lauser
I'll bet you have an '03. Please see my posting in this thread regarding the '03 ECM and the list of codes that are always present and should be logged and ignored. Doktor A

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
As far as the lockup clutch, on a very flat road, < 8 knots of wind from the LH side, it looks like the engine turns about
80 RPMs faster than the torque converter turbine at 2450-2500 RPM.
So, unless someone has some better information, I think the the myth that the flywheel and the trans input shaft
(behind the torque converter turbine) actually "lock up" and turn the same RPMs is pretty much busted.

Roger
I have often posted that the torque converter clutch is never fully locked. At full duty cycle 'locking mode' it still experiences a controlled slip. Doktor A

Last edited:

calbiker

I've done a lot of testing lately and want to provide some results. It's a difficult process when:

A. I don't know what I'm doing
B. Don't know if vehicle is fully functional
C. Get different results from laptop and from desktop
D. There are multiple problem areas.

My first DAD was not able to communicate with the ABS nor Autom Trans with either laptop or desktop. It couldn't provide engine run data. It also quit operating in cooler temperature. A replacement DAD was able to communicate with ABS & Trans and get engine run data with the desktop, but not laptop.

My laptop problems are still ongoing. I have a ~3-year old HP operating on Win XP Pro. I have a generic ExpressCard RS232 card and a USB to RS232 adapter. I get same results from both RS232 devices. Readings after clearing error codes:

CDI Diesel, Airbag, Inst. Cluster, SKREEM, CTM: OK
ABS, Autom Trans: Does not communicate

Using the desktop I get these results:

CDI Diesel, ESP, Airgag, Inst Cluster, Autom Trans, Immobil Alarm, ESM, SKREEM, CTM, ATC: OK
CHM: Module not present

I'm not sure what's going on with the laptop. I suspect RS232 problems. Perhaps running off of +/- 5V and not +/- 12V? The DAD's RS232 cable is also extremely long. It may be OK for 12V system, but marginal for 5V??? I may consider shortening the cable. I also want to try another ExpressCard.

I located another '06 3500 Sprinter to verify both vehicles provide similar results. Errors B1040, B1041, B1042, B1470, B1010, C1010 were common to both vehicles. I had exact same problems with the laptop. This rules out vehicle issues.

Before testing on another vehicle I couldn't rule out my vehicle being the problem. I was lucky to borrow a Bosch KTS200 tester (a hand-held device). What a great tool! It confirmed my errors detected by DAD. The tester also made it clear to me why I wasn't able to run the brake bleeding operation on DAD. The KTS200 informed me ABS error (C1010) must be erased before bleeding can be initiated. Sure enough, that was the case with DAD. I was able to activate a pump during the bleeding process with the KTS200. The pump is pretty loud. I'm not sure this pump is activated with DAD. I hear the solenoids though. Note, I didn't actually bleed the brakes, just wanted to verify proper valve, pump, etc. operation.

It would be great if someone can generate a procedure to bleed brakes. I'm not familiar with using a pressurized tank (28 psi), or how to hook it up. Can this tank be assembled from parts acquired from a hardware store?

Code questions:

My vehicle had error (in black). Are there any concerns:

ESM: P1817 Component reversing lamp has a short circuit.

2. The other vehicle had these errors (in black).

a. Engine: P2013 Ambient air temp sensor (it appears to be operating OK (provides correct temp)),
P1630 FBS signal

b. Airbag: ETR- Drivers emergency tensioning retractor. 3 Driver's emergency tensioning squib circuit (R12/1).

c. ESM: P1876 The wheel rpm from the ESP system are not available on CAN bus

d. Autom Trans: P2316 Communication error with AIRCOM control unit

Cal

interfan

Banned
Cal,

I found this bleeder works well: http://store.motiveproducts.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=motive&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=128246486&Count2=45386910 The EURO car version fits the Sprinter's brake fluid reservior. It does look like a garden sprayer that has been converted, but the rubber is all brake fluid resistant.

For fluid, I use the ATE Hi-Temp fluid that Mercedes and Porsche specify. It is a little pricier, but I buy it in bulk and do all my vehicles at the same time.

I just followed the instuctions in the Dodge manual and pressurized the tank to 28psi. I started at the rear right, then rear left, then front right, then front left. I replace brake fluid every year in all my cars, so I have never bothered to activate the pump or internal circuits. My Sprinter is on schedule for fluid replacement in June, so I may try it them.

I hope this helps you.

Marty

calbiker

Thanks Marty. The European Bleeder 0100 for $54.95 is the correct one? We don't need the Import Power Bleeder Kit 0251?

Cal

interfan

Banned
Yes, it is the Euro one that works. The adapter for the brake reservior is a perfect fit. I am not sure what the difference between the standard and deluxe models are, but when I bought mine, the company had the deluxe one on special. I think that the import one would work if you have Toyotas.

teamtexas

A Dad owner with a '03
Well it kinda feels like I'm running with my anchor out. So I plugged Dad in tonight to see what, if any codes I may have. on the CDI this is the list that popped up.

P1400
P0203 Cyl 3 Injector
P0300 Misfire detected
P0316
P0412
P1802
P00A2
P7312
P0214
P6014

I have an 03 sprinter and I know some of these are always present. I logged and erased the codes. Then did another check. All the codes came back as well as
P60C7
P0114

The thing I don't understand is none of the codes are active. They all show up in black. Any ideas of what I should be concerned with?

Dan

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Well it kinda feels like I'm running with my anchor out. So I plugged Dad in tonight to see what, if any codes I may have. on the CDI this is the list that popped up.

P1400
P0203 Cyl 3 Injector
P0300 Misfire detected
P0316
P0412
P1802
P00A2
P7312
P0214
P6014

I have an 03 sprinter and I know some of these are always present. I logged and erased the codes. Then did another check. All the codes came back as well as
P60C7
P0114

The thing I don't understand is none of the codes are active. They all show up in black. Any ideas of what I should be concerned with?

Dan
You can add those 2 codes to the '03 ONLY, ignore list.

The '03 ECM reports numerous vendor and calibration codes (related to sensor sampling) which are NOT MBenz DTCs. Why these 2 codes came up in a later scan is of interest.

If your '03 is feeling sluggish, in the absence of DTCs, I suggest you begin by checking condition of your fuel filter. Doktor A

npetrielli

ESP, ABS and traction lights on for months. Took Sprinter to dealer and two independent mechanics, no luck. Hooked up my DAD last week and immediately found problem with RR wheel speed sensor. Upon pulling sensor found part of coil spring from parking brake magnetized to tip of sensor. Pulled brakes apart to find no pads and the springs in pieces (bought Sprinter in a hurry used last year). So far the DAD has helped pinpoint a nagging problem within seconds. Worth every penny. Thank you Doktor A.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Question for Doktor A (or anyone who's seen it):

If the same error code is thrown multiple times, does it only appear on DAD's listing -once-, or many times?

So could i expect to see (for hypothetical example):
Single diagnosis ESM
P1925 Braking torque implausible
or
Single diagnosis ESM
And, if it's currently being thrown, would we get:
Single diagnosis ESM
..seeking historical interpretation guidance
thanks
--dick
p.s. reading the manual says that the "live" error is reported along with the historical.

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
Question for Doktor A (or anyone who's seen it):

If the same error code is thrown multiple times, does it only appear on DAD's listing -once-, or many times?
thanks
--dick
p.s. reading the manual says that the "live" error is reported along with the historical.
If a fault is present during multiple ign key use cycles it will be listed only one time.

If additional 'snap shot' info is available for that DTC, it will likely list the frequency of occurrence and also display the DTC odometer reading of the LAST occurrence.

The DTC odometer reading resets to zero every 100k km, roughly every 62,400 miles.

As an example, a defective glow plug will set a glow plug code with every cold start of the vehicle. It will be DAD (and DRBIII) displayed once and the total frequency of episodes will appear with any extra snap shot data. Any mileage displayed will be the odometer reading when vehicle was last cold started.

A DRBIII for instance will count up to 277 episodes. And that is the number I frequently see with glow plug codes an owner has ignored for a long time. Doktor A

eurotech550

Re: DAD users group discussion thread - injector coding

Dad users ~

If anyone get a moment please reply with the following information code.

Using Dad connected to your Sprinter:

Special Function
Test Function - Engine OM647 (NAFTA Models 2004-2006)
CDI - Injector Coding Engine OM647

Read Classification

It should spec the injectors coded to the individual cylinders.

Also a drop down list of available injectors

I'm hoping someone will respond with a list of the injectors available to them.
**Do not** change the coding on your vehicle.
It might even be smart to record/screen shot the original classification just to double check.

Thank you
Jim

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)

Dad users ~

If anyone get a moment please reply with the following information code.

Using Dad connected to your Sprinter:

Special Function
Test Function - Engine OM647 (NAFTA Models 2004-2006)
CDI - Injector Coding Engine OM647

Read Classification

It should spec the injectors coded to the individual cylinders.

Also a drop down list of available injectors

I'm hoping someone will respond with a list of the injectors available to them.
**Do not** change the coding on your vehicle.
It might even be smart to record/screen shot the original classification just to double check.

Thank you
Jim
Any specific questions Jim? Doktor A

eurotech550

Any specific questions Jim?
Found it interesting the fact that all 5 of the injectors in my tested engine had the same coding. I then checked the actual codes on top of the first two injectors they did not match the coding in the ECM, but the listed available codes did not match the installed injectors?

Jim

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)

Found it interesting the fact that all 5 of the injectors in my tested engine had the same coding. I then checked the actual codes on top of the first two injectors they did not match the coding in the ECM, but the listed available codes did not match the installed injectors?

Jim
What year Sprinter are you working with? And what do you mean by 'listed available codes'?

Doktor A

Top Bottom