HOV lane... gvw nightmare

breffni

so two days ago the state trooper pulls me out of the HOV lane which has a 5000 LB weight restriction on it and told me I was over weight!!! Is this true??? I cant believe that a GMC savanna 3500 with the same wheelbase is under the weight but the sprinter is?????

I thought the GVW of these two trucks was basically the same???

I only carry tools in my van so its not like its laden down or anything! I checked around the drivers door and cant seem to find the weight sticker anywhere.

maher01

08 Passenger/work 144 van
I might be off base, but a 2500 Sprinter is 7500lb GVW combined with load. A 3500 is 10,000 lb GVWR

Hope this sheds some light on it. Far as I know from these lanes, no commercial traffic except for people movers, passenger vans.

maher01

08 Passenger/work 144 van
HOV lane is the far left lane for passenger loaded vehicles only! Min. 2. High Occupancy Vehicles! Not work trucks/Vans.

Tom

georgetg

2005 140" low roof
HOV lane is the far left lane for passenger loaded vehicles only! Min. 2. High Occupancy Vehicles! Not work trucks/Vans.

Tom
I'm pretty sure Seek knows what a HOV lane is, I think he is asking where this incident occurred.
I'd guess different states might have different rules regarding HOV lane usage.

I've been using the HOV lanes in SoCal for years but I have windows all around which makes it a "passenger van"...

I was uaware of any GVW limits as I see Buses in the HOV lanes all the time...

Cheers
George

sailquik

Hi George,
What kind of license plate do you have..... passenger car....or comercial (like many pickup trucks in Cali/Socal I've heard).
If commercial, you are out of luck, and good luck getting them to change a commercial to passenger.
Since you have windows all around, you could make a case for being a passenger van.
Did the Highway Patrolman (CHP maybe) look inside and see your tools? If so, you are commercial, no matter what your license plate says.
Did you have anyone in the passenger seat at the time?
The black label below the seat on the LH side should give you the GVW of your particular van.
It varies with the length of your wheel base and of course the 3500 dual rear wheel SHC vans are rated even higher.
Cab and Chassis can go to more than 12 K.
It's the same in all states, pretty much, and it pays to find out what the local laws about commercial vs passenger,
what the definition of "all traffic/all vehicles" at non-peak hours means, and what the GVW load limits are for the various
HOV lanes. On the east coast we have the Parkway vs Expressway foolishness.
You can drive a passenger van on a Parkway (one with windows all around) but the same van, without the windows is illegal at
all times on parkways. Some of the state Turnpikes (NJ for sure) have restrictions on weights and number of tires (4 is OK.. 6 in not).
Another reason to register your Sprinter as an RV!
Roger

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I only carry tools in my van so its not like its laden down or anything! I checked around the drivers door and cant seem to find the weight sticker anywhere.
My 2005 118" wheelbase 2500 had a rated GVW of 8550 pounds.
(empty, with driver and a half tank of fuel, i weigh almost exactly 4000 pounds).

-Some- of the HOV lanes in Washington State have a "no trucks" sign, or specify (if memory serves) a 10,000 pound limit.
(the 3500 Sprinters can come with a 9900 pound limit, or an 11,000 pound limit).
Your vehicle registration should also specify it.

If memory serves (it's raining out, so i'm not gonna go look...) the tire pressure plate in your driver doorframe will specify the weights.

--dick

nebep

Hi George,
What kind of license plate do you have..... passenger car....or comercial (like many pickup trucks in Cali/Socal I've heard).
If commercial, you are out of luck, and good luck getting them to change a commercial to passenger.
Since you have windows all around, you could make a case for being a passenger van.
Did the Highway Patrolman (CHP maybe) look inside and see your tools? If so, you are commercial, no matter what your license plate says.
Did you have anyone in the passenger seat at the time?
The black label below the seat on the LH side should give you the GVW of your particular van.
It varies with the length of your wheel base and of course the 3500 dual rear wheel SHC vans are rated even higher.
Cab and Chassis can go to more than 12 K.
It's the same in all states, pretty much, and it pays to find out what the local laws about commercial vs passenger,
what the definition of "all traffic/all vehicles" at non-peak hours means, and what the GVW load limits are for the various
HOV lanes. On the east coast we have the Parkway vs Expressway foolishness.
You can drive a passenger van on a Parkway (one with windows all around) but the same van, without the windows is illegal at
all times on parkways. Some of the state Turnpikes (NJ for sure) have restrictions on weights and number of tires (4 is OK.. 6 in not).
Another reason to register your Sprinter as an RV!
Roger
Well, having tools in the back of your ride doesn't make you "commercial" - having a GVWR over 10,000lbs., according to federal motor carrier safety act is what makes you a commercial vehicle. Not just the fact you're carrying tools.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I just looked it up... in Washington State, as a -general- rule:
(A) vehicles over 10,000 GVW are excluded from HOV lanes
(B) vehicles over 10,000 GVW are excluded from *the left lane* of limited access highways with 3 or more lanes.

If the HOV lane is the leftmost lane of a 4 lane road, the "left lane" restriction applies to the general travel lane next to it.

The specific rules for HOV are here:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=468-510-010
and "left lane exclusion" (exceptions, mainly) are here:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=468-510-020

RV's are allowed in both HOV and left lanes, -unless- they're towing something. Then they're not.

--dick

rvdriverca

Your registration should tell your gross legal weight as per the state, where the Sprinter is registered at.:2cents: good luck.

nebep

I just looked it up... in Washington State, as a -general- rule:
(A) vehicles over 10,000 GVW are excluded from HOV lanes
(B) vehicles over 10,000 GVW are excluded from *the left lane* of limited access highways with 3 or more lanes.

If the HOV lane is the leftmost lane of a 4 lane road, the "left lane" restriction applies to the general travel lane next to it.

The specific rules for HOV are here:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=468-510-010
and "left lane exclusion" (exceptions, mainly) are here:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=468-510-020

RV's are allowed in both HOV and left lanes, -unless- they're towing something. Then they're not.

--dick
Is that clearly GVW or GVWR ?

Reason for asking would be that to determine GVW, portable scales would get involved to confirm you in fact do weigh in at over 10,000.

GVW = weight of your vehicle, currently, as it sits. So, a claim that your vehicle is over 10,000lbs. without it being weighed could cause the case to be thrown out.

GVWR = complete maximum weight of the vehicle fully loaded with driver to maintain safe operation according to manufacturers testing. (Just a matter of looking at the weight plate)

Last edited:

breffni

the HOV lane in question is in Boston... for those that dont know it means "high occupancy vehicle" and is in place to encourage "car pooling".... so you can use it if there is 2 or more people in the vehicle. is has a mobile wall that they open inwards to Boston city in the morning and then outwards in the evening to add a lane to cope with traffic.
A state trooper stands at the entrance to "weed" out anyone that shouldn't be using it and what gets me is that the allow other vans like gmc savanna and pickups ...doesn't seem to matter if they are 1500 2500 or 3500...commercial vehicle are allowed as long as they are under the weight limit... but they keep telling me the sprinter isn't allowed.nothing with dual wheels is allowed except busses.

What is the gvrw of a gmc savanna 3500?

here is a link to the hov lane in question

http://www.mhd.state.ma.us/default.asp?pgid=car/FAQ-HOV-93HOV&sid=about

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Is that clearly GVW or GVWR ?

Reason for asking would be that to determine GVW, portable scales would get involved to confirm you in fact do weigh in at over 10,000.
Funny you should ask that...
Although the WA state law says "GVW", there is a separate document (i think it's a bill in the process of being passed... it's come out of committee, but i don't think it's "passed" yet) i ran across which was dealing with the discrepancy of WA's use of the term (or practice) of GVW, GCVW and the other hodge-podge of those letters compared to the federal usage under Title 49 of the CFR (Combined federal regulations? i forget the precise expansion of that acronym).
*Please* don't ask me to relocate that bill.... i just tried and the trail of breadcrumbs from my digging have gotten very soggy...

If memory serves from -other- sections of the RCW (revised code of washington), GVW means "as shown on the plates, -or-, if there is no manufacturer supplied value, -then- we dig out the scales (and add some factor)".

Me? I've got passenger plates since i have a Wagon...
but i know that -some- states require that a physical seat be behind the driver to truly be a "passenger" vehicle.
Other states allow for "seats or attachment points for them"
So when i'm running with the rear seats removed, i'm not legal for some operations in some states.

..and, i'm a 2500, so i don't have the "4 wheels good, 6 wheels bad" issue to deal with.

--dick

aeroshots

A state trooper stands at the entrance to "weed" out anyone that shouldn't be using it

Wow, a Trooper for this duty. Seems like the state could employ basically a toll booth operator for this function and send the Trooper to other functions more applicable to his/her purpose. But my view comes from a state that has reduced its number of Troopers over the period where the number of motorist have doubled.
The statute may be written poorly--I don't know. One would think your issue happens thousands of times a day in your state and has been tested in court.

Good luck with your issue. From my memory of traveling near Boston, using a HOV lane could make a big difference in your day to day travels.

ThomasM

And i thought you live in the land of free? He, that sounds really more complicated than here in europe.
But be sure, we have quite more stupid rules to drive a Sprinter in commercial or private use.

qualityair

'09 144" Cargo
the HOV lane in question is in Boston...
A state trooper stands at the entrance to "weed" out anyone ... but they keep telling me the sprinter isn't allowed.nothing with Dual wheels is allowed except busses.

What is the gvrw of a gmc savanna 3500?

here is a link to the hov lane in question

I think the key word here is Dual wheels unless your listed as a bus, that is the desiding factor here.

nebep

Funny you should ask that...
Although the WA state law says "GVW", there is a separate document (i think it's a bill in the process of being passed... it's come out of committee, but i don't think it's "passed" yet) i ran across which was dealing with the discrepancy of WA's use of the term (or practice) of GVW, GCVW and the other hodge-podge of those letters compared to the federal usage under Title 49 of the CFR (Combined federal regulations? i forget the precise expansion of that acronym).
*Please* don't ask me to relocate that bill.... i just tried and the trail of breadcrumbs from my digging have gotten very soggy...

If memory serves from -other- sections of the RCW (revised code of washington), GVW means "as shown on the plates, -or-, if there is no manufacturer supplied value, -then- we dig out the scales (and add some factor)".

Me? I've got passenger plates since i have a Wagon...
but i know that -some- states require that a physical seat be behind the driver to truly be a "passenger" vehicle.
Other states allow for "seats or attachment points for them"
So when i'm running with the rear seats removed, i'm not legal for some operations in some states.

..and, i'm a 2500, so i don't have the "4 wheels good, 6 wheels bad" issue to deal with.

--dick
Crazy - GVWR is the figure the manufacturer posts as the maximum weight for the vehicle, fully loaded with driver, fuel, and cargo.

GVW - that's a variable figure. Your GVW shouldn't exceed GVWR to maintain safe operation of the vehicle.

Lets say you were in an incident. IF it were found out that your vehicles GVW was over your vehicles GVWR, get ready, your insurance company will probably back away and let you take whatever's comin'...

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The link that you provided...

Eligibility
Vehicles must be less than 2.5 tons (most passenger cars) and have 2 or more occupants to use these lanes. Motorcycles, even with one rider, can use the lanes as well as buses.
2.5 tons = 5600 lbs

In my owner's manual my 2500 T1N has a GVWR of 8550lbs. I've never weighed it empty so I'm no help. What's confusing is the last statement where it says, "can use the lanes as well as buses." I'm sure buses are heavier than a lightly loaded 3500, but bus is a broad term.

Another factor is how a state trooper interprets the rule. This can really skew the outcome.

Top Bottom