tacoma vs sprinter

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I am at heart a minimalist, so I used a Taco to pull a 19' travel trailer for about 14 years. I still own the truck.
I replaced the trailer with a Winnebago Revel, which is built on a 4x4 Sprinter.
Both have their place. But I am less worn out after a 800 mile day in the Sprinter than I was towing the trailer.
And my wife can back the Sprinter up.
Contrary to some opinions, the Taco driver's seat is fairly comfortable, though I could use more leg room.
The Sprinter seat could be 4-6" longer in the seat base, for me.

radair603

I own a first gen. Tacoma, and it is a great complement to my Sprinter. It certainly has its place for hauling firewood, carrying a chainsaw & gas/oil and a load of tools/people to do trail work, and as a winter beater for running errands when the roads are salty slush. I would not want to use the Sprinter for any of those tasks.

Stereotyping Tacoma owners as one particular breed of human is lame.

John E

I'm no expert, but I am active on a few forums and I hear raves about previous generation tacomas, and a lot of complaints about the current version. I don't have any dog in this fight.

Farfrumwork

I personally find any form of bigotry distasteful at best. I understand that there are way more harmful forms of hate, but it's all in the same arena.

I saw a bumper sticker with the same 'one less sprinter' on the back of a Previa van just this week (Expedition Portal/ Van section/ pics of your van). Weird that its related to Toyotas as well, being on a Previa. And being a van-brother... what gives!?!?

Not sure why people have to put others down(?) And this comment in the CB paper is even weirder as there are a million Tacomas here in CO... if there needs to be one less of anything, it's not a Sprinter. I also think some people are jealous, or possibly just confused - I see sooooo many Yota trucks fully decked out in 'overland' mode here with no sign of ever being off-road, so the angst against 'rich guys' in their Sprinters doesn't add up. (No, I am not putting down folks with shiny overland trucks- do what you want!)

Being a snowboarder in my 32 season of sliding sideways, I am used to baseless and pointless defamation, but it never sits well with me. FFS, you do you - I'll do me.

(And I really like toyotas, even though I've never owned one. I like just about anything with wheels! :cheers:)

Jsheehan

In areas like Crested Butte with a lot of outdoor tourism it has a lot to do with parking areas in public lands (climbing areas, mountain bike and hiking trailheads, and camping areas). A lot of these areas have limited parking and locals are showing up to there favorite spots to find the parking lots filled with 20+ foot sprinters with out of state plates. And a lot of these parking areas were never designed to accommodate such large vehicles so sprinters have to park inefficiently in a space that 3 cars could fit in. Similarly some dispersed camping areas have a much less wild and peaceful feel with a group of sprinters having a van life party till 3am with all of their lights, music and engines on. Not that any other group of vehicle owners are any better, but sprinter vans are an easy target to categorize and generalize.

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Yeah, its human nature and tribalism. Plus anti-elitist mentality. On the other hand I have seen plenty of trails wrecked by small pickups bombing through them in bad weather, throwing rocks and mud everywhere for a good Instagram post.

glasseye

And, tooling along at 10mph along some horrible washboard in Death Valley, I've been passed at 50 mph by a fleet of whatever-pickups who have zero regard for dust, flying rocks, me or their own suspensions.

They'll always be with us. There's no escape. Not even on the road to Eureka Dunes. :idunno:

I do find a "One Less Sprinter" bumper sticker kinda funny, though.

D

Deleted member 50714

:yell:
Try sitting in a Tacoma driver seat on a long trip.
I used to own a Tacoma and couldn't move more than 4-6 -inches in any direction during a long trip. Way too Claustrophobic.

theBeachBoy

Stereotyping Tacoma owners as one particular breed of human is lame.
+1

They are totally different purpose vehicles

I own a Tacoma and went to many places that a sprinter would dream of getting near. But a sprinter has the space and practicability that a Tacoma will never have with the size difference.

It is totally ridiculous to compare both or to diss one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kilowatt

2008 170" high roof
In areas like Crested Butte with a lot of outdoor tourism it has a lot to do with parking areas in public lands (climbing areas, mountain bike and hiking trailheads, and camping areas). A lot of these areas have limited parking and locals are showing up to there favorite spots to find the parking lots filled with 20+ foot sprinters with out of state plates. And a lot of these parking areas were never designed to accommodate such large vehicles so sprinters have to park inefficiently in a space that 3 cars could fit in. Similarly some dispersed camping areas have a much less wild and peaceful feel with a group of sprinters having a van life party till 3am with all of their lights, music and engines on. Not that any other group of vehicle owners are any better, but sprinter vans are an easy target to categorize and generalize.
I have a 170 and never take up more than a standard parking space. We are a tad long, yes, but not to an extent that denies parking to anyone in a smaller vehicle.

HarryN

Yes. It is time for state parks and parking lots to join the 21st century and have larger parking spaces.

Yes. It is time for state parks and parking lots to join the 21st century and have larger parking spaces.
You mean go back to how it was in the mid 20th century! We went from big cars and big spots to tiny cars and now back to big trucks and vans. My 65 Lincoln continental was about the same length as my dads dually chevy

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
IMG_0063.jpeg

2001 and a 2007, both have a place. I do agree that Tacoma values are insane for a truck that hasn't changed much in 13? years.

Top Bottom